Official Review: Closure by Tasche Laine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Closure by Tasche Laine

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Closure" by Tasche Laine.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Closure by Tasche Laine is a book that falls into both the Other Fiction and Memoir genres. Written in the first-person perspective, through Tara’s point of view, this novel is based on a true story.

People say that you never forget your first love. While this is true, most people move on with their lives and view the experience as a pleasant memory. Occasionally, however, first love can have a major impact on a person’s life, influencing the choices they make for many years to come.

Closure follows the story of Tara and Trey, best friends and childhood sweethearts since the age of three. Tara and Trey have always felt they were destined to spend their lives together and, even as children, Trey would declare his intention to marry Tara. These two children are virtually inseparable until, one day, Trey’s parents get divorced and Trey must move away. During their last evening together, Tara and Trey share their first kiss. They are ten.

The next time Tara and Trey see each other they are fifteen. During this brief visit, it is evident that their mutual love and attraction remains. They share their second kiss. This time, Tara and Trey promise to stay in touch. What follows is the frequent exchange of letters between the two; letters sharing their most honest and personal thoughts and feelings. During this time, their love for each other continues to strengthen and grow. Despite the years that pass, Tara and Trey still believe they belong together. Life, however, seems determined to keep them apart. Every time it looks like a union may be possible, something happens to change the direction of their lives.

Closure tells about the obstacles this couple face, the choices they make and the impact these decisions have on their lives. This is not a love story; it is a story about real love and real life. It contains many themes including family, relationships and marriage as well as the complications and complexities of real love.

The first thing that drew my attention to this book was the cover. The picture spoke volumes to me and filled me with thoughts of innocence, serenity, trust and pure, unconditional love. I found it both simple and stunning. The second thing that sparked my interest was that the novel was based on a true story. I am particularly drawn to such books since I usually find the story easier to relate to.

This book, however, turned out to be very different from what I expected. Usually, novels based on true stories tend to either contain a significant, life-altering event or tell about a person showing great strength as they overcome some adversity. I did not feel this book offered either. Additionally, books that are part-memoir usually illicit quite strong feelings or emotions within me when I read them. Unfortunately, the only emotion I found myself frequently encountering during this read was frustration.

While I understand that the events that took place in the book were significant to the author, they failed to move me personally. Consequently, I had to keep reminding myself that this story was fact-based, especially since I was becoming increasingly upset with some of Tara’s choices. I also developed a dislike for Trey early in the book and, despite their mutual love for each other, I felt like they had different agendas. I am not sure if this is how it was meant to be portrayed or whether it was a result of the story being told from Tara’s point of view. I certainly received a much more detailed account of Tara’s life than Trey’s.

The telling of a story from only one person’s perspective, especially when it is based on real events, has the potential to become a biased account. I felt the author helped to minimise this by including the written correspondence from both parties over the years, first in the form of letters and then, later, via email. This was valuable as it enabled the reader to get some insight into what Trey was thinking and feeling over the years. It also showed the reader how Trey’s words had so much meaning for Tara that she remained infatuated with him, despite his obvious flaws. The only thing I would have like further clarified, since this novel was based on a true story, was whether these were real letters sent between the individuals involved (with just the relevant name changes for the novel), or whether the contents of the letters had been modified or even made up for the purpose of the book.

Even though the story did not live up to my personal expectations in terms of storyline, there were several areas of the author’s writing in which she showed great strength. Laine demonstrated her ability to provide strong character development. I particularly enjoyed seeing the protagonist grow as a person and start to show signs of maturity. I also think that, at times, the depth of character development contributed to my frustration with Tara. I found the more invested I became in Tara’s character, the more desperately I wanted her to make the right choices.

Laine also excelled at portraying youthful, first love, particularly that ‘blinkered’ view which can affect logical decision-making. When I first started reading this book I found I was constantly judging Tara’s actions. Eventually, I realised I was reading the story with the mindset of a mature person who has a wealth of life experience behind them. To truly appreciate the story, I had to stop and think back to my first relationship. When I did, some of the similarities made me cringe! Following this, I was able to truly appreciate the author’s abilities. She accurately portrayed the actions of someone making decisions with their heart rather than their head.

Overall, the style of writing used for this novel was easy to read and the story was presented in a chronological order. Included correspondence throughout the text was also easily identifiable. I did detect a few errors. These included missed spaces and letters, tense changes mid-sentence and, occasionally, the incorrect spelling of words, e.g. ‘waived’ instead of ‘waved’. At other times, commas could have been better placed to enhance the meaning of sentences.

In summary, this book was well-written and contained a variety of themes. While many of the themes were relatable, the decisions made were often very different from the ones I would have chosen. I did not find anything in this story that stood out or amazed me, however, there was minimal I could find fault with either.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. The lack of any particularly memorable moments prevented me from awarding a full score. I would have considered taking a further half a star off for spelling and grammatical errors, however, this was not an option. I also felt the small number of errors made did not warrant the removal of a full star.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about complicated relationships or who can relate to the emotional turmoil experienced during the highs and lows of true love. Additionally, anyone who has continued to yearn for their first love long after it is over should be able to identify with some of the characters. Younger readers, particularly those going through their first break up or having difficulty moving on from their first love, may find some solace and wisdom in this book.

Closure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I like this review, seems like a book I'll probably cry a lot while reading.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nimat87 »

A novel based on a true story would also get me interested because its plot would be much more realistic. I can't seem to make up my mind about this one though. On one hand, it seems interesting, but on the other hand the flaws you have shown dampen my interest in the book. Thanks for the thorough review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Nimat87 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 01:30 A novel based on a true story would also get me interested because its plot would be much more realistic. I can't seem to make up my mind about this one though. On one hand, it seems interesting, but on the other hand the flaws you have shown dampen my interest in the book. Thanks for the thorough review.
I actually read this book twice, the first time with my mature head on; the second time while remembering what it was like to be that age. I definitely took more away from the book the second time around.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Most people are not very lucky to have their true love for life and as you say the experience of the first may shape your life, but we should not forget that we have a choice to move on. It is very interesting to note that this is based on a true story. Thank you for a sound review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
achile James
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by achile James »

It is true most of the time...many people have loose their first love but...all these are done because of immaturity and lack of words of motivations and affirmative.. These book shows a lot of love concept and heart balance.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I wish you could tell me if they stayed together at the end. Your review makes me want to read it.
:techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I thought that this was going to be a sweet, innocent story. It sounds like it's a bit different from what you would expect, though. I'm unsure about how I feel regarding this book based on your review. I'm not sure it would really strike me. Still, I do appreciate the information. I'm glad that you found something to relate to.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

First, thanks for your detailed review, it really helped give me an idea of its feeling. I usually love novels based on true stories, but this one sounds a bit weak.
Berry :wine:
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It sounds underwhelming. Would you read this again if you could?
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

DathanReeves wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 18:16 It sounds underwhelming. Would you read this again if you could?
I have read it twice already, the second time with a different mindset, solely as I wanted to give the book a fair review. I found I enjoyed it more the second time. Do I plan to read it again for enjoyment? No. But I am greatly aware that this book would appeal to many people and provide a great read for them - as I said in my review, I could not really fault the book. I think that, with this particular story, the level of enjoyment the reader receives is greatly influenced by both their personal taste and life experiences.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I really enjoyed reading this review and felt like I had a very good understanding of what this story was about. It sounds like a good read and I do agree a person's own life experiences would affect how they might relate to this book.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

You seem to possess a very good understanding of viewing things from a critical perspective. I really enjoyed reading your review. However, I think I'm not going to enjoy reading this book.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review is nothing short of 'wow!'
Chard_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2