Official Review: American Fascist by Malcom James

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: American Fascist by Malcom James

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Fascist" by Malcom James.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

He had seen things. He had done things. His conscience would not allow him to keep these secrets any longer. Author Malcom James tells the suspenseful story of Eli Green and his work in American Fascist.

Eli Green found success working for Paragon Analytics. The campaign of the current President of the United States, Harold Franks, hired Paragon Analytics to provide specific services pertaining to media micro-targeted advertising. These services were a vital part of Harold Franks’ 2016 Presidential election victory. Eli’s father was proud of his son’s success, but he was disgusted by President Franks’ politics, racism, and sexism. He had great respect for his father’s opinion, but Eli got the job done and didn’t think much about the hateful rhetoric involved in the 2016 Presidential election. Eli’s expertise landed him a job working in The White House, and the trust of President Franks. Eli’s close association with President Franks gave him access to private information. What Eli uncovered sent him on a mission to save himself and the entire nation.

This story could be considered fictionalized reality. Readers who have consumed the very least amount of American news will easily recognize most of the characters. The author did change the names to protect the innocent, or guilty, depending on your personal opinion. It is difficult to say how much of the story is wild fiction, given the current political climate. Still, the situations and characters presented in this book make for an entertaining and suspenseful story. This is not a plot that often holds my attention. However, Eli was a likable character, and I was fully engaged in his story until the very end.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. I found one misspelled word, but this error caused no distraction and did not disrupt the flow of the story. Each character is beautifully developed and experiences relatable growth. Furthermore, the author’s expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience. I have never visited Washington D.C. The author’s writing helped to create a vivid visual of the city.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and thrilling page-turner. The story is rich with relatable characters and events. Supporters of the current American administration would most likely dislike this book, while opposers would almost certainly enjoy it. Setting aside the recognizable events, facts, and alternative facts, this is a story about an intelligent man making a choice between right and wrong.

American Fascist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Destinymay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Destinymay »

This book o didn't really get into I though more about why the author didn't do something about what he was writing I read the work an wondered if he took his time was he mad at the world or was he escaping reality I did not understand his point from all the characters sides but I just didn't understand it or find it very interesting
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Well, I'm neither the supporter of the current American administration nor the opposer but I find this book is appealing to me especially when it involves in politics though in fiction. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thanks for the very interesting review.
I´m not going to state my political opinions, but I feel that as long as this book invites to reflection and to the analysis of the current political climate in the USA, it´s a very useful book. It´s a bonus that it´s also pleasurable to read.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

This is a book I might read, in a few years. With the uneasy climate we are in, I don't think I could read this book as of right now, maybe after things have calmed down.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I enjoy a good political drama whether it reflects our current reality or not. It's good to think about these things from a different perspective sometimes. Reading political fiction can sometimes help us to untangle our own conflicting thoughts and feelings in a mental environment that is "safe" from realities' repercussions. We can then know what we are willing to do, and how far we are willing to go to make a change in the real world.

Thank you for your insightful review.
Nungari Waithira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nungari Waithira »

Awesome!its a nice political drama..
waynemike

Post by waynemike »

I find this book very interesting and very much related to the actual state of the politics of our time. A lot of things have gone wrong, oncoming administrations would always want to make us understand they really do have good intentions but then it isn't as that transparent and at the end we can't help but to blame everyone involved in the politics of that time. The writer was adept, I could guess he made good use of psychology as well. Out of 10, I'll give this book an 8 as an honest review.... He did so well, but then he shoulda gone deeper and more pointful!
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

To be at par with occurrences around us, we need to follow politics in our countries. However, this can become overwhelming. I'll love to read a book like this, as it seems to expose reality in a fun-to-read manner. Interesting review!
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
kaleji mary

Post by kaleji mary »

The book is not so appealing to me as i don't really understand the authors point from all the characters.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I could tell just from the title that this was a book I wouldn't enjoy. I just don't enjoy books that discuss the current political reality. Still, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Fictionalized reality. You couldn't have defined it any better. Excellent review, but a book I will not read because reality sucks enough without being fictionalized too. Ugh.
Berry :wine:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review; this seems like a fascinating and intriguing read about American politics.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

A book that seems well-written, professionally edited with fully developed characters sounds intriguing. I think I'll have to read this sometime.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Fascinating. A clear re-creation of the current dynamics in American politics. Its faithfulness to actual events reminds me of The People’s House by David Pepper.

Thanks for this detailed and fair-minded review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”