Official Review: Just a Shelter Dog by Sally H. Cronk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Just a Shelter Dog by Sally H. Cronk

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just a Shelter Dog" by Sally H. Cronk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Mary inquires how much Ansley would ask for Singer, the latter exclaims, “I don’t sell family members!”

In Just a Shelter Dog, Sally H. Cronk relates the life story of Singer. Sally makes me want to question my unholy fear of dogs. (I am deathly afraid of bites!) Her book makes me feel like I am missing a lot of loving by not being able to pet dogs, much less hug them.

Ansley (called Long Hair by Singer, our story’s hero hound) rescues Singer’s pregnant mom from a howling snowstorm when the dog’s former owner leaves her on the highway. Having been brought to a shelter on time, the mom is nursed back to good health and gives birth to four pups, with Singer the runt of the litter. All the other pups and the mom eventually find their new homes while Singer languishes in the shelter, unadopted and feeling abandoned by his family. Disturbed by his baying on one of her duty nights at the shelter, Ansley decides to bring Singer home and adopt him. Soon, she finds him an excellent companion, and woman and dog become inseparable.

During one of their playtimes at the park, Ansley and Singer meet an autistic boy, Oliver, who immediately takes a liking to Singer. The feeling is mutual, as Singer is drawn to the boy by the picture messages the dog senses from Oliver. Boy and dog bond almost instantly. Astounded by the boy's response to Singer, the boy's mother Mary begs Ansley to let them have Singer. After days of tearful deliberation, Ansley gives up Singer to Oliver.

The autistic boy is prone to tantrums, is uncommunicative, and bites whomever is near when angered. Will Singer be what Mary needs to reach out to Oliver?

This inspiring book is divided into 42 chapters, and most chapters are narrated by Singer. It is refreshing to see the world through a dog’s eyes. Singer has unique names for all the characters which are based on their observable characteristics. (Dogs can’t understand human-speak but can sense what people feel by their body language and the smells they emit.) We meet Tall Guy, Skinny Mom, Cool Lady, and the dogs Pushy Pup and Sad Eyes. While the reader has to contend with two sets of names, the author skillfully manages to keep the reading on track.

Singer’s depiction of the world allows the readers to look with wonder at things we take for granted. The sky is the Blue Roof; the sun is the Yellow Eye. Things lying about in the house are given unusual descriptions, and it is fun guessing what they are. Singer’s analysis of (and puzzlement about) human behavior is particularly interesting and will trigger many laughs.

The characters (human and dog alike) are all portrayed well, and the readers can easily empathize with their situations. The author, being a retired special education teacher, clearly shows her insight into the human psyche and effortlessly connects the reader with the characters’ emotions.

The ending holds a surprise and gives the reader a juicy bit to chew on long after the story ends. I closed the book with a satisfied sigh.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars but wish I could give the perfect rating because of the happy experience I had with it. However, there are just too many grammatical slips. The errors are mostly misused punctuation, missed prepositions, and run-on sentences; there are a few misspellings and wrong verb tenses, too. Two incidents are not tightly woven: the diabetic emergency and Ryan working hard to make partner. While not distracting, these lapses should best be corrected to make this book really shine.

I recommend this book to dog-lovers who will surely find the human-canine relationships heartwarming. People dealing with autism will find hope and inspiration from the story. I believe everyone can get good vibes from this novel which highlights the age-old saying that the dog is man’s best friend. In fact, as Ansley says, dogs are family!

Just a Shelter Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the amazing review! I reviewed this one too and like you, thought that the grammatical errors were a pity in what would have otherwise been a great read. Singer’s story really touched my heart, and the ending only reaffirmed that.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 00:56 Thank you for the amazing review! I reviewed this one too and like you, thought that the grammatical errors were a pity in what would have otherwise been a great read. Singer’s story really touched my heart, and the ending only reaffirmed that.
I so wanted to give the book four stars, but I couldn't. Sigh!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I am a huge dog lover. So much so, that I steer clear of books involving dogs because I get far too emotional if the dog dies in the book. I ugly cry. So I am always so happy to be able to read a review about the books that I have to stay away from. And this review had all of the feels! Thank you so much. I really hope the author heeds your advice and puts the book through a good round of editing.
As always, great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a controversial read. I really like what's happening in this read. A between a boy and a dog, just amazing! Too bad about the errors. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I am the aforementioned "dog-lover." After reading your review, I thought, "What's not to like!" I already knew I wanted to read this book based on the cover, title, and a previously-read review, but your review touched me on a different level. I love the "Blue Roof" and "Yellow Eye" and the nicknames. I feel like the author nailed it. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I hope it helps you to get over your fear of dogs.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like an inspiring read. The author sounds really creative.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

teacherjh wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 18:24 This sounds like an inspiring read. The author sounds really creative.
Yes, the author is in love with life. I can't recommend this book enough to those who want good vibes. Don't we all?
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 06:23 Great review, I hope it helps you to get over your fear of dogs.
You know what they say. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Even a bitch like me. :-D
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

SamSim wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 20:42 I am the aforementioned "dog-lover." After reading your review, I thought, "What's not to like!" I already knew I wanted to read this book based on the cover, title, and a previously-read review, but your review touched me on a different level. I love the "Blue Roof" and "Yellow Eye" and the nicknames. I feel like the author nailed it. Great review!
Dog-lover that you are, you need to have a copy of this book. You'll lap it up, Lady Samson!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 21:45
SamSim wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 20:42 I am the aforementioned "dog-lover." After reading your review, I thought, "What's not to like!" I already knew I wanted to read this book based on the cover, title, and a previously-read review, but your review touched me on a different level. I love the "Blue Roof" and "Yellow Eye" and the nicknames. I feel like the author nailed it. Great review!
Dog-lover that you are, you need to have a copy of this book. You'll lap it up, Lady Samson!
That's a good one! lol
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 04:24 I am a huge dog lover. So much so, that I steer clear of books involving dogs because I get far too emotional if the dog dies in the book. I ugly cry. So I am always so happy to be able to read a review about the books that I have to stay away from. And this review had all of the feels! Thank you so much. I really hope the author heeds your advice and puts the book through a good round of editing.
As always, great review!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bianka! I do hope you get to meet Singer.

Thanks too for the kind words. You make my tail wag. :-D
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 07:17 Sounds like a controversial read. I really like what's happening in this read. A between a boy and a dog, just amazing! Too bad about the errors. Thank you for your review!
I do hope you get to read this story. I'll always remember Singer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sahani!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This sounds like a unique storyline. I'm sure I'll enjoy this whenever I pick this up for reading. Great review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”