Official Review: Small Town Diva by Shirley M Polk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Small Town Diva by Shirley M Polk

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Small Town Diva" by Shirley M Polk.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Town Diva is a short novel written by Shirley M. Polk. The story follows Rilee Carr, a teenager whose biggest dream is to become a famous singer. After her mother dies, she goes to live with her wealthy aunt and uncle in Texas. As Rilee adapts to her new home, she refuses to let anyone get close to her, including Ben, the boy next door. However, when her family goes on vacation to the Bahamas, she discovers that Ben’s family are vacationing there too. While striking up a brief romance with Ben, she attracts a stalker because of her previous publicity as a teen singer. Eventually, she meets her stalker, who is actually a harmless, young reporter named Oliver whom she ends up befriending. Years later, Rilee becomes involved in Ben’s family drama, but the only person who has the answers is Oliver. Additionally, new information regarding her biological father resurfaces. Despite all that is going on in Rilee’s life, can she and Ben rekindle their romance for good?

This story has a unique storyline. There is a lot happening all at once and the plot is very fast-paced. The story is also unpredictable, which I found to be quite enjoyable. In one instance, I thought Rilee’s stalker would be a sinister character (as stalkers usually are), but he ended up being a good friend to her. Furthermore, some parts initially confused me, but I later realized that there was a valid reason for them. One instance was when Ben and his father were acting really strange and I couldn’t understand why until it was revealed that they were actually being impersonated. All of this gave the story depth and contributed to its uniqueness.

Despite this, the story was lacking. Although Rilee’s passion is singing, I don’t know what genre of music she prefers. I know she sings in a church choir, but she was also in a band and sang solos at different gigs. I also don’t know if she writes her own songs and if so, where her inspiration comes from. She also sings at The Grass Hut, a bar in the Bahamas, but I don’t know what type of music is played there. These were important aspects of the story that could have added to Rilee’s character but they were missing.

In addition, there also needed to be more descriptions, especially since parts of the story were set in the exotic islands of the Bahamas. Most places were described quite vaguely. One example was, ‘a beautiful isolated hidden grove of palms, flora, and fauna.’ Seeing as palms are a type of flora, this was redundant. The words, ‘isolated,’ and, ‘hidden,’ also imply the same thing in this context, so this was also redundant. Examples of Bahamian culture such as the food or music could also have been included to make the setting come alive.

One thing did not make sense to me and that was when Rilee was waiting for Oliver to visit her, but he didn’t and the next morning she found a note from him on her doorstep stating that he could not come because he had car trouble. If he had car trouble, who dropped off the note? The book doesn’t say.

Several sentences lacked fullstops and commas, but other than these I saw no other noteworthy errors. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars for its unique storyline and enjoyable unpredictability. I deducted 2 stars because of the issues I highlighted earlier. I think that this book would appeal to older teenagers and young adults. Romance is a central theme of the book, but since physical affection progresses no further than kissing, it would be appropriate for this age group.

Small Town Diva
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I see your point in the lack of logic at certain statements. I did not feel any urge to read this book through. I sense something was missing but I can't comprehend what. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 07:12 I see your point in the lack of logic at certain statements. I did not feel any urge to read this book through. I sense something was missing but I can't comprehend what. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree, the book needs a little more work, but once the wrinkles are ironed out, it will be a good read.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Sounds like this "unpredictable" romance has a lot of potential if it was fleshed out a bit. Good catch on the whole "car trouble" thing. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As a long time small town resident, I confess the title grabbed me. Despite the wrinkles mentioned, the plot does sound interesting!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like it could have been a really good book if the author had applied herself a bit more.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I agree with you that the storyline is unique. What I would like to know is whether Oliver has romantic interests in Rilee or was it just a casual friendship. Your very captivating review has piqued my interest.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

crediblereading2 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 18:10 I agree with you that the storyline is unique. What I would like to know is whether Oliver has romantic interests in Rilee or was it just a casual friendship. Your very captivating review has piqued my interest.
Don't want to reveal too many spoilers, but Oliver and Rilee had some romance. He just wasn't as serious as Ben.
basilisa
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by basilisa »

The book seems interesting but fail to understand some places
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

The note thing has got me baffled but good of you for sticking through it. The unpredictable storyline sounds great. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for great review for giving a new perspective look to this book which is about romance and the pursuit of the character Rilee who has ambition to become a singer and comes to live with his rich aunt and tries to adjust with aunts family and home
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”