Official Review: The Sureness of Horses by Kevin Arnold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Sureness of Horses by Kevin Arnold

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sureness of Horses" by Kevin Arnold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge made her promise. Marita, Jorge’s wife, was to keep her jacket on during the dinner party. When she broke that promise, it was clear to see why the promise was made in the first place. Author Kevin Arnold tells the story of Wade and his friends in The Sureness of Horses.

Wade and Diana met on a flight. She was a Texan, but she was moving to Palo Alto. Wade was pleasantly surprised. He had lived in Palo Alto for twenty years. She was attractive and interesting. He was into poetry. She jumped horses, but somehow, there was a connection. Both were divorced with children, but Wade was determined to make things work with Diana.

Wade felt terrible when he learned that his best friend, Jorge was losing his job. They worked at the same company, well, until now. Wade was the godfather to Jorge’s daughter, Eva. He did his best to help Jorge secure another job. Wade’s efforts lead Jorge down a path that no one saw coming and put his relationship with Diana in serious jeopardy.

The first three-quarters of this book was a bit slow, but the ending was one wild ride. The story took an unexpected turn that made this book a page-turner from that point on. The romantic aspect of the story was not your typical love story. It is not a fairytale. There is no whirlwind romance. This is the story if real adults navigating life and all of its complications. The animals in this story are supporting characters. Wade and Diana are true animal lovers, and they show it often throughout the story.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. There was not one grammar or formatting error to be found. Each character is beautifully developed and experiences relatable growth. It was refreshing to read a love story from the perspective of the male character. Furthermore, the author’s expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and satisfying read. The story is rich with relatable characters and events. It is a refreshing love story, not a sweep-you-off-your-feet romance. The characters are flawed and deal with real-life problems. While equestrians and animal lovers would like Wade’s story, I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy a suspenseful page-turner. The Sureness of Horses is a story that reminds the reader that life can change, for better or worse, in the blink of an eye.

The Sureness of Horses
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I'm not usually into romance, but you have me intrigued. Why could she not take off her jacket? I guess I might have to read the book to find out. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. I agree - a love story from a man's point of view is quite refreshing!! What I also like is the fact that we can relate to the characters as ordinary people with real life problems. This will go on my "want to read" list.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Developed characterisation is an impressive element and a feature of a well written book. However, the book seems quite slow-paced for me so I think I'll pass. Amazing review, though!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thanks for your review! I´ve got to admit I´m quite intrigued by a realistic love story about adults "navigating life" because it sure isn´t a fairytale. And apparently written with dexterity and greatly developed characters. This book goes to my to-read shelf.
Thanks!
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Considering that most of the romances are written from the female character point of view, you managed to intrigue me. Thanks for your review.
Berry :wine:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Animals always add an interesting touch to most books. I don't think this is the book for me though. Great review!
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I like books were the characters seem real. It gives the book another feeling. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”