Official Review: A Black and White Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Official Review: A Black and White Life

Post by Anirudh Badri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Black and White Life" by Bharath Veeraraghavan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Black and White Life, by Bharath Veeraraghavan, is a book about Raman Venkat Iyer, the son of a rich man who retires with his father’s money at the age of 27 to do nothing until the vagaries of life cause him to change. It is a light novel, best classified as satire.

The narrator of the story is Raman Venkat Iyer who has no ambition as a child. As a he grows up, he remains content with coasting by and doing nothing, aided by copious amounts of marijuana and abetted by his friend Khan. His father is a successful businessman who pays the right people to ensure that Raman graduates from school. Upon his father’s death, Raman has no intention of running his father’s business and quickly sells it to the highest bidder and retires. Here the story might end, but it is, in fact, a beginning. We follow Raman’s life as he gets married and endures a variety of ups and downs in life, the details of which are best discovered while reading the book. The focus of the tale is the transformation that we see in Raman as the plot develops and time goes by. The plot is primarily the vehicle to carry the satire and humour forward and revealing more details would also reveal substantial spoilers.

The author manages to write an amusing and engaging book that is very easy to read. By throwing in amusing anecdotes and peppering the reader with irreverent and scathing asides about society and religion, the book kept my interest. It was a very easy book to return to and the characters were easy to relate to. The narrator’s aimlessness is also refreshing in a protagonist since those characters are typically Type-A personalities with large goals and responsibilities. While the novel certainly employs literary tropes, such as the faithful friend and sidekick (Khan), it does it well and meshes the trope seamlessly into the story.

One major issue I had with the book was with the pacing. While the anecdotes and rants were interesting, the larger plot’s progression was erratic. Nothing would happen for a great many chapters and then there would be a drastic time skip during which interesting events had occurred, especially towards the end of the book. It felt as though the author was trying to force the book to a pre-decided conclusion which was jarring for the reader who was used to the gentle, lilting pace used initially. Additionally, there was insufficient justification given for some of the larger decisions that were taken by Raman, especially in the context of what the reader is told about him.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I laughed out loud at some of the jokes and enjoyed large sections of the book. However, towards the end, the book felt extremely rushed and forced, which substantially detracted from my experience. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading satirical novels which are more focused on humour than the plot. Bear in mind that there are pretty explicit mentions of drug and alcohol abuse and so this book is not for younger readers.

A Black and White Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you found something to enjoy about this book despite the drastic amounts of time where nothing happened. I don't think I would enjoy something this slow paced and more satirical than anything else. I appreciate your review, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

The issues are disappointing - I was intrigued by the aimless central character, too. It's an interesting angle and made me want to check it out just for the uniqueness of it, especially if his "retirement" ultimately stirs him to become, uh, less aimless. I really enjoyed your review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I'm not very fond of multiple leaps in a book, they make the story a bit uninteresting. Thanks for the review though, it's helpful in coming to a final decision!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I wish I could have retired at 27! That and the fact that I enjoy a good satires once in a while makes me think this could be an interesting book, despite some of the problems you mentions. Nice review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I enjoy even and fast-paced books, therefore, I would not find this one very interesting. However, the satire seems to make up for what it lacks. Thank you for your very honest and revealing review.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I like the uniqueness of the plot and I also enjoy satires, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy the slow pace of the story. Thanks for the interesting and thorough review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
goldust01
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by goldust01 »

I wish I could have retired at 27! That and the fact that I enjoy a good satires once in a while makes me think this could be an interesting book, despite some of the problems you mentions. good to review
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It's a shame the author rushed those events at the end. I don't normally read books like this but lately I've been enjoying more opinionated reads. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I like stories that seem to end but begin. Sorry about the rush at the end. But why did the author force the story on humor rather than plot development? I would love to know why.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I don't think this one is for me, but you did a great job on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”