Official Review: Thirty-Three Cecils by Everett De Morier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Thirty-Three Cecils by Everett De Morier

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thirty-Three Cecils" by Everett De Morier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thirty-Three Cecils by Everett De Morier is a book with an unusual title, written in a unique format and featuring two memorable characters. Walker Roe and Riley Dutcher are very different people with some basic things in common: they both feel like they have disappointed all of their friends and family, are both looking to break out of their old patterns, and to rebuild their lives in a better way.

The story itself is told through their perspectives, via a series of journals written by each of the men. These journals detail their initial encounter (and what had lead up to it), and the life-changing events that followed.
Riley Dutcher is a young man who has recently lost many of his friends and family due to his problem with alcohol and inability to prioritize anything else in his life. As we get to know him through his journal entries, we witness his gradual emerging from the haze of alcoholism, and the steps he takes to give himself a fresh start. Walker Roe is an ex-filmmaker who was recently released from a short stint in minimum security prison, where he was sent on counterfeiting and fraud charges. Because his arrest resulted in bankruptcy and divorce, upon his release he faces the hard work of rebuilding his life, maintaining relationships with his daughters, and finding employment. Eventually, he crosses paths with Riley Dutcher, otherwise known as Dutch, and through a series of narrow coincidences and supernatural luck, Dutch saves Walker’s life.

Once this takes place, events are set into motion that drastically change the course of both of their lives within a short time period. The death of a friend and the financial legacy left to Walker enables the pair to hire a lawyer and start a company, though their motivations for doing these things are far from typical. In the midst of these adventures, both Walker and Dutch learn how to seek out and attract miraculous and extraordinary events, and eventually how to break out of the negative patterns in which they had previously been engrained.

As I mentioned earlier, this book has a unique format which also translates into an unusual style of writing. Because it is set up as a non-fiction compilation of the characters’ journal entries and related newspaper articles, there is a prologue and epilogue that set the scene and provide final closure to the events within the journal. The prologue tells the reader how the story ends, so as we go through the process of reading the journal entries, we are given a glimpse into the days leading up to those final events. In this way, it is quite unlike a story which one reads from cover to cover in order to find out what happens in the end. Rather, the entire point of the story is the character development that occurs in the middle. This character development is one of the most successful elements of the book. Though the journal entries are like individual pieces of the larger puzzle of the story, each character’s voice and verbal style is unique and believable, and the characters are portrayed vividly even despite minimal descriptors. The author is able to capture the essence of both of these men, each from very different backgrounds, and relay them in an authentic way.

The title of the book itself comes from the title of a story that Walker tells his two young daughters. The lesson within this story-in-a-story is that when we are looking around us for evidence of a miracle, if we put rigid boundaries around what we believe a miracle should look like, we may miss many other extraordinary occurrences that take place all around us all the time. Tellingly, in the short time that Walker and Dutch knew each other, they were able to manifest an incredible number of miraculous events. They succeeded at this precisely because each of them had surrendered any preconceived notions of what to expect, and simply opened their eyes to the possibilities around them.

For a novel as short as this one, the author was able to pack in an incredible amount of characterization, and included many profound yet subtle lessons along the way. Though the format may not be one with which all readers are comfortable, the actual events described in the journal entries are fascinating and the protagonists are richly nuanced and sympathetic characters. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who enjoy stories of redemption, unlikely friendship, and tales of miracles that hide amidst our everyday surroundings.

Thirty-Three Cecils
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I'm very interested in reading this book, but I have been concerned that I will not enjoy the journal entry format. I will definitely consider it!
Happyasha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Happyasha »

Indeed the title is so unusual, but i love the story line sound interesting
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one was a bit too slow-paced for me. However, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. The journal format was quite interesting. It just didn't do much for me. Thanks for your take on it, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 07:53 I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who enjoy stories of redemption, unlikely friendship, and tales of miracles that hide amidst our everyday surroundings.
I'm hooked just through reading your review! I even love the journal-entry format and I admire the writer for the disparate, but well-developed, characterization. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I'm intrigued by the title and the unique format mentioned by you in your review. It's always interesting to read experimental literature. Will definitely read this sometime.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like a good one! The journal style is intriguing to me. I've read a couple epistolary novels before and found them to be very enjoyable. Learning about a character from their own words and their own perspective can be interesting. Thanks for the review and the recommendation!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! The title is so intriguing, the cover is awesome in my opinion and apparently, the story is quite original in style and content. Sounds like a super different read to give variety to my wishlists. Thanks for your review.
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

The book sounds or is read as, interesting, interesting. Good review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like an interesting read depicting a characters life story. The review was compelling enough for me to want to read this book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I appreciate the employment of creativity in an author's style of writing. The plot of the book also seems captivating. I'll certainly like to read this. Thanks for an engaging review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I'm definitely intrigued by the journal writing style, it's something different, the author was brave and apparently didn't fail. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Berry :wine:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 07:53 I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who enjoy stories of redemption, unlikely friendship, and tales of miracles that hide amidst our everyday surroundings.
If this isn't me, I don't know what is! I really enjoyed this review. Thanks a ton.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I do enjoy both journaling and a story about redemption. Interestingly, the title doesn't hint at either of those topics so I'm glad I read your review. Thanks!
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I like that it is like a journal and the desire of the men to start over.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”