Official Review: A Doublet: Willie & Tingle Maze

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: A Doublet: Willie & Tingle Maze

Post by NRoach »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Doublet: Willie & Tingle Maze" by Trufin Hatch.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Doublet: Willie & Tingle Maze, by Trufin Hatch, is an enigma to me. I'm not sure what I expected, given the main character is a sea-faring trout, but I know that what I got definitely wasn't it. The opening captivated me with its poetry, and I settled in for a cosy, lyrical read with the occasional falter in meter, but generally sublime prose. That's where Hatch's skill lies, and it's pretty obvious to see. There are a few recurrent spelling issues, such as “two and fro” and incorrect use of “it's”, which can be distracting, but the writing beyond those is very clean.

The story follows the life of Willie, a trout, from his hatching in south-west England, through his misadventures in adolescence, and into adulthood. He encounters a whole cast of river- and sea-faring creatures such as otters, other trouts, and salmon, and is used almost as a framing device for a local history anthology. Therein lies the rub. On the book's amazon listing, it proudly proclaims its status as a 'regional best-seller', and I can believe it. The book is chock-full of place names, and features of local geography, and even human characters from the region, all of which are utterly dumbfounding to readers who don't know the region inside and out. I spent the majority of the book totally bewildered as to what is happening, where it's happening, and whom it's happening to, simply because I grew up in the Midlands, not in the West Country.

Aside from being robbed of any sense of locale by the author deeming name-drops sufficient, the language used can be baffling. I know nothing about fish; I couldn't pick a pike from a trout, and yet Hatch seemingly takes it for granted that everyone knows what he means by a 'par' or a 'grilse'. Frequently it was impossible for me to tell when a character was being referred to by an epithet, to avoid reusing their name, and when an entirely new character or kind of fish had appeared. For much of the book, I felt like I was dreaming, where scenes took place in vague, blurry locales with characters that could simultaneously be about four different species, depending on what a particular word I'd never seen before meant.

Then we have to tackle the issue of local dialect. As someone who's intensely interested in accents and dialects throughout the UK, I was pretty happy about being able to see the inner workings of the West Country dialect, although I doubt it could have been handled with any less deft. Hatch frequently tortures the English language into being nigh unreadable, and does it so often that I began dreading every piece of dialogue. A glossary is included, but it's not hugely helpful in ebook format, because flicking back and forth to those pages can be a royal pain. Again, I can see this going down very well with those from the area, who obviously have an incredible advantage in reading it. The rest of us are left struggling with paragraphs upon paragraphs that are on par with Chaucer in clarity.

Hatch is plainly a talented writer, but simply makes too many assumptions about his reader's knowledge. Perhaps they're not unfair assumptions given that it is, fundamentally, a book written for a specific area, but I don't think they've done him any favours here. If he turned his talents to poetry, or even novels with much broader general appeal, I think he could do very well, and I'm honestly interested in taking a look at any other stuff he's written or will write in the future.

I give A Doublet: Willie & Tingle Maze 1 out of 4 stars. If you happen to be from the area, with a keen knowledge of fish, then this book is written for you. If you're not, and most of us aren't, there's pretty much nothing here for you. I don't think this is an indictment, because every book has its target audience but at the end of the day, this book's is small and takes no prisoners.

A Doublet: Willie & Tingle Maze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NRoach's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marvelous chisom
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Marvelous chisom »

Awesome!! This is very creative and educative ,i love adventurous books. I would really love to read this one, and also knowing the names of places i never knew before.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I actually thought about reading this one, but in the end, chose a different book. I'm so glad that I did! It is such an interesting premise, what a pity the author couldn't deliver.
Thanks for your review, I enjoyed it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review - and I saw what you did with "tackle," there. It's a shame that this book is so narrow in its reach, since I've never read a book that centered around a fish and was, at first, eager to check it out. By the time I finished reading the review, I had to reel in my enthusiasm.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

That cover alone gets a 1 out of 4 from me :lol2: But jokes aside, I like that the author wrote from a trout's point of view instead of another more typical animal, like a dog or horse. But since I'm not even from the UK and know little about fish, I'll have to pass. I loved reading your review and feel you justified the low rating well.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I thought of reading this one, however, I do not possess any working knowledge about fish. Also, the grammatical errors are quite a turn off. Thanks for coming up with an honest opinion.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Your review took me on a journey in itself! Great job in creatively expressing the flaws of this book. Hope it garners some fans in the English south-west, at least.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I really appreciate your review. I was considering reading this, but - now that I know a little more about the limited audience - I am probably going to pass on this one. Very clearly articulated review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

As I am not from the UK, have had no fishing experience, and cannot distinguish a trout from another fish, I do not think I will make heads or tails of this book. You never mentioned Tingle. Is he or she another trout?

I thoroughly enjoyed your review, NRoach! Like you, I don't think I can fish out any sense from this work of fish-tion.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Too bad I'm not the targeted audience. I'll have this one pass. By the way, I enjoyed reading your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 05:36 As I am not from the UK, have had no fishing experience, and cannot distinguish a trout from another fish, I do not think I will make heads or tails of this book. You never mentioned Tingle. Is he or she another trout?

I thoroughly enjoyed your review, NRoach! Like you, I don't think I can fish out any sense from this work of fish-tion.
I'm a bit late here, but I have no idea who or what Tingle is. Genuinely.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”