Official Review: An Adventurous Summer Vacation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: An Adventurous Summer Vacation

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Adventurous Summer Vacation" by Krahtay Gaylah.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Adventurous Summer Vacation is a short story by Krahtay Gaylah. The story describes the adventures of the Herman family when they visited their grandparents for the summer vacation. The three cousins, Markie, Ryan, and Kara travel to the Duster Village Water Park in Dallas, the Nature Plaza Park in Seattle, and the Rocket Planet Space Center in Austin with their parents and grandparents. Along the way, the children befriend Max, a friendly bulldog. They also learn new things about volcanoes, rockets, and space exploration. They also explored possible occupations that interest them.

This book was very difficult for me to read. The writing did not flow well and was choppy at times. Some sentences were also strangely phrased, such as, ‘Further, walking in a fast pace and slowing down at some point, while making hand gestures to give brief history of some other things; Justin took us inside.’ It occurred to me that the author’s first language may not be English and this could have been the reason for the strangely written sentences.

In addition, the majority of the book consisted of meaningless dialogue that did not add value to the story. There were numerous mentions of, “Hmmm,” and “Uh-huh.” In addition, some incidents were also insignificant, such as the exact measurements of rooms and people’s heights. There was also one instance where the author used four sentences to describe the reason for sneezing.

However, the main issue I had with this book was the number of errors it contained. Reading this book became a chore and it was honestly a very frustrating experience because the errors distracted me from the story. Some examples of the errors which I noticed were wrongfully used words, lack of question marks at the end of sentences, use of capital letters where there should be common letters, lack of articles in some sentences, and incorrect spelling of some words.

Despite this, I liked the educational facts in the book. There were facts pertaining to volcanoes and space travel which would appeal to young science fans. Another positive thing about this story was that it contained a good lesson for young readers - to keep focused on your dreams and to keep working hard to achieve them, despite the challenges that may occur.

Unfortunately, these aspects were overshadowed by the poor writing and the multitude of errors. Therefore, I rate it 1 out of 4 stars. This book has the potential to be enjoyed by teenagers, but I would strongly recommend that it undergoes professional editing.

An Adventurous Summer Vacation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

The way you have described the errors is already putting me off. I think grammar plays an essential role in helping with the flow of the story, no matter how good the story must be, if a book is poorly edited it loses some potential readers.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

It's so disappointing to begin a book with anticipation and find that, due to problems that could have been easily avoided, it's a "chore" to read. That happened to me recently as well. I hope it undergoes more editing to reach its potential. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

SamSim wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 07:43 It's so disappointing to begin a book with anticipation and find that, due to problems that could have been easily avoided, it's a "chore" to read. That happened to me recently as well. I hope it undergoes more editing to reach its potential. Great review!
Yes, it really is disappointing when you encounter a book like that :( Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I strongly feel that books aimed at young people should be really well edited since it’s not just the content that’s educational. The prose itself should be an example of well-written English.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm sorry to hear how frustrated you are in reading this book. However, I'm glad you are able to see the positive aspects of this book. Thank you for your honest review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

First and foremost, thank you for a descriptive review. Secondly, the errors put me of bar when I came to a point in your review about the errors I stopped at whole in reading it. Thank you once again!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Just goes to show you, some of those "what did over the summer" stories are not all that good. I like your review though!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds like a very adventurous tale indeed. Max, the dog, adds more fun and frolic to the story. Thank you for a great review.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Dael Reader wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 17:10 Just goes to show you, some of those "what did over the summer" stories are not all that good. I like your review though!
Very true! And thank you :)
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It's such a shame when it's obvious that a book hasn't undergone professional editing. Hopefully, it will soon. Great review. Glad that you didn't sugarcoat it.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”