Official Review: Holy Crap ... We're On Fire!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Holy Crap ... We're On Fire!

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Holy Crap ... We're On Fire!" by Co authors: Paul Miller and Diane Vetter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Holy Crap...We’re on Fire! The Brush Truck Chronicles by Diane Vetter and Paul Miller is a look at what happens behind the scenes of firefighting and is written by two of the stars of the book. It is the first in a series but can be read as a standalone novel.

Pablo, Diane and Phil are firefighters from the Mimbres Springs Fire Department on the Triple Nickel brush fire truck, and are used to fighting smaller fires, but have been called up to fight a campaign fire in Nevada. Local wildland fires have been no problem in the past, but this one will take them to another level. Join the team as they show you the different facets to firefighting; from dealing with the aftermath of natural disasters to helping create firebreaks and saving land before the fire gets there, to saving trapped cattle, and basically laying their lives down for complete strangers.

This book was a load of fun to read, and made even more impressive by the fact that even though it is a work of fiction, that these encounters are loosely based on actual events. I don’t think that unless you know or are related to a person in the profession, that you understand the intense pressure they are under, the split-second decisions that they have to make, and the impact they have on people’s lives. This book managed to show part of the downtime they get to have and some of the crazy pranks they pull to boost morale. It also expressed the camaraderie between the different units and how they work together to save property and lives. The story offers an insight into Pablo’s Vietnam experiences, which brings in some sobering moments for anyone who has to try and understand what a person has been through. There is a ghostly element to the story too, and you sometimes wonder how much of what they saw was true. Some of the things that happened to the truck were horrific, and if I was their boss and read this, there would be some serious repercussions!

The format of the book was a little offputting. At the end of each chapter, it would either lead directly to the next chapter on the next page or have a blank page inserted for no reason. You would never know when to expect this, so would scroll too far and back again for no reason. The glossary at the end of the book was a good and bad thing. I enjoyed learning what the colloquial terms meant, but at the same time going back and forth between where you were reading and the glossary to find out what they were talking about was a bit annoying. The tone of the book was fun and light-hearted, but the overuse of exclamation marks was unnecessary. It seemed like every second or third line ended with one. The editing was relatively good, but silly mistakes tended to creep in every now and then.

I took one star off for editing, and was hovering between that second and third star, but decided that the message these heroes were trying to bring across definitely raised the rating. I was actually really surprised to find out about their intense training and the crazy constant physical work they put in during a fire. I thus rate Holy Crap...We’re on Fire! The Brush Truck Chronicles 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to anyone interested in firefighting or finding out about the people behind the masks.

Holy Crap ... We're On Fire!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for this great review. It sounds like an amazing story with a lot to learn. I think we can all benefit from reading this book as I do not think we know what effort goes into being a firefighter. This will definitely go on my "want to read" list.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like my pants are on fire, get it? Holy crap... we are on fire! The title holds a lot humour, and seems to provide a lot fun experience to its readers. Loving the idea of this read. Thank you for sharing your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds entertaining for many reasons: action, humor, etc. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the story itself was interesting, but the formatting and editing was a bit off here and there. Luckily, that can be fixed relatively easily. So, it sounds like a book worth looking at. Thanks! I also love that it's based on true events.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

The book sounds fun and light-hearted. I think it is definitely worth reading. Going to read this one sometime soon. Thanks for the review though!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The title of the book made me laugh. I like that this book is based on real events and that there is some humor within it. Will have to check this book out. Thanks for the review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The title alone captivates my attention. Thank you for sharing with us by your review that this book is worth reading.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Hmmmmm. A book about firefighters. Sounds interesting. A rear topic. I have to read this one.
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

I've never read a book about firefighters, but your review has peaked my curiosity. This looks fun to read.
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”