Review by turtledonut -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
turtledonut
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-turtledonut.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by turtledonut -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by turtledonut » 10 Jun 2018, 17:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is a book about a boy named Darwin who, after being orphaned, is taken in by his football star cousin, Luther. His cousin is rich and famous but not very warm or welcoming. Luther keeps Darwin’s inheritance from him and makes him pay rent to stay in the house. Darwin must learn to overcome this in order to grow up and go to medical school to become a doctor like his father.

This story follows Darwin throughout his journey from being in high school and just being dropped off at Luther’s mansion to him as an adult. It has many different plots and interesting characters, from Luther to his girlfriend Sweeney, Dr. Malverne and his family down the road who Darwin befriends. The many characters within the mansion also help to bring colour to this book. This book is about Darwin growing up, but also about deceit, love, and heartbreak.

I would give this book three out of 4 stars. I gave it a three because the writing was excellent and there were very few errors, however, the plot did not always make sense. Sometimes Coles skipped ahead without giving any warning that he had and I found myself having to go back to make sure I had not missed something, which was frustrating.

The part of the story I liked least was the time skips. The skips made the book frustrating to leave at times because there was often no sign that what was happening was taking place months or even years later. One example was when Coles mentioned that Darwin was helping to plan his wedding. Before that point Darwin was barely dating the girl he was about to get married to. There was no mention of a proposal or of getting married before this point. Even if there had been some other mention of how much time had passed between the two chapters would have made it easier to read.

The part of the story I liked the best was the many different storylines. There were many interweaving stories that made it interesting to read to find out more about each individual character. The weaving of stories was well done and they fit together to create a story about life, which is sometimes messy and complicated like parts of this book. This book is a snapchat of life, both the good and the bad.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like turtledonut's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”