Review by Featherystar32 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Featherystar32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-featherystar32.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Featherystar32 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Featherystar32 » 09 Jun 2018, 18:11

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit was written by William H. Coles, and is a fictional novel. This book has illustrations by Betty Harper and Peter Healy.

This book is about a 'poor little rich teen' named Darwin Hastings, who is orphaned. He was forced to live with his cousin Luther, who is a rich football star. Luther expects Darwin to financially fend for himself, until he becomes an adult. This is a hard pill for young Darwin to swallow, and he really struggles emotionally. He wonders how he will get, or dare I say earn money.

When Darwin first came to live with his cousin Luther, he felt lonely and isolated. Luther's staff tolerated him, but they weren't very friendly. Laszlo who was Luther's head of security took an interest in Darwin, and they formed a close friendship. Laszlo was a former cop, who worked homicide. Laszlo was expecting Darwin to act like a spoiled rich brat, but Darwin's humble disposition pleasantly surprised Laszlo. He enjoyed talking to Darwin, and he also taught Darwin how to drive a car, and soon Darwin started chauffeuring Luther around to "earn" some money. Darwin also befriended Granny who was a very grumpy old lady, who also lived with Luther. Granny became so fond of young Darwin that she secretly started giving him an allowance, and this allowed Darwin to have some extra money for school, and other activities.

There are a lot of characters in this book, and honestly its quite hard to keep up with them all.The female characters are verbally and physically abused, and some are even killed. It's obvious the author has no respect for women. Especially, seeing how they are all treated throughout the whole story.

There were quite a few typos, missed periods, commas and some misspellings of words throughout the whole book. For example, Pittsburgh is spelled 'Pittsburg". The author definitely needs to have it proofread. There was also a lot of profanity and foul language used through the book. I personally don't think that you need to use profanity to get a good story line across, and most readers don't appreciate it. I first thought as I began reading this book, that it would be great for the teen and high school crowd. I no longer think that. I actually believe with the violence, profanity and abuse it would be more appropriate for the young adult crowd. Preferably young to mid twenties. There was potential for this to be a decent read.

The book was actually engaging within the first several chapters, and I was actually enjoying it. That is why I am going to rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars, because I think it started out great. With that being said, I also got bored after chapter 10 or so. I had to really make myself finish reading the book. I felt the author just made it really ramble, and there was a lot going on. If there had been fewer characters, and not quite so much drama per character, it really would have been more enjoyable.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Featherystar32's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”