Official Review: Silk Road by Kenneth Canatsey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Silk Road by Kenneth Canatsey

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silk Road" by Kenneth Canatsey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An exhilarating book from beginning to end, Silk Road: The Journey by Kenneth Canatsey follows the experiences of the young narrator, Ken, as he travels across the globe during the 1960s. Though fiction, it has a very personal writing style and it’s easy to see that the author certainly pulls from his own life experiences and adventures, though how much so I can only guess. Ken begins his journey in 1966 at the age of 22. He’s just graduated from college in CA and sets off to hitchhike his way to NYC, from where he again embarks on an even longer journey while making his way through a huge portion of Europe and Asia. Readers get an up-close view of the struggles he faces physically, mentally, and emotionally and the strange and captivating situations he finds himself in.

Ken’s adventures take him to exotic places like Nepal, Greece, India, France, Spain, Italy, Israel, and Istanbul, to name a few. He’ll have all sorts of experiences along the way, such as studying different religions like Hinduism and Christianity, discovering the effect of drugs like acid and opium, and understanding what it’s like to form meaningful yet brief bonds with strangers from various walks of life. As the narrator contemplates life’s existential questions and meditates on his own place in the world, the backdrop of the 60s plays an important role in pushing and testing his assumptions and convictions through music, the culture of self-exploration, and the question of war.

I loved many things about this book, one of which is the vividness with which Canatsey writes. Nearly every sense is stimulated through the smell and taste of foods, the detailed imagery of places, the descriptions of texture, and the attention to surrounding noise. As a reader, I had a front row seat to every single thing, good and bad, that the narrator experiences. Furthermore, as a world traveler myself, I can honestly say that Canatsey does a fantastic job of making readers feel like they’re actually traveling alongside Ken. The many places in the book I’ve actually visited in real life were described incredibly accurately and the parts on places I haven’t been to certainly had me itching to buy some plane tickets and go!

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because the rating system doesn’t allow us to give 4 stars if we find more than 10 errors, which I did. However, the errors truly weren’t distracting and given the volume of the book, there were not that many (there were just over 10). An example of one is “How explain this?” (LOC 5535, CH 36) with the “to” missing from the infinitive verb. I would have loved to give the book 4 stars though, as I found it an extremely interesting novel with some very poignant discussions raised. It talks about one’s path to religion, individualism versus collectivism, and whether or not one can relate to others after having had life-changing experiences they haven’t. Other things I liked about the book include the moments of comedy, the truth with which Canatsey writes about life and traveling (the moments of extreme euphoria and extreme disappointment), the effect that our emotions have on our perception of our environment, and the way in which people and places become intertwined.

The novel is quite detailed, so if you aren’t one for lots of details (or if you aren’t comfortable with sex, drugs, and some “potty” talk) then perhaps it’s not for you. But, if you’re someone who would like to explore the rich cultures and places of the world through the eyes of an interesting and perceptive young man, then I wholeheartedly recommend you pick up a copy of Silk Road: The Journey.

Moderator's Note: The author has reported that since the time of the review the book has been edited to correct the errors noted in the review.
Silk Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Nicely detailed review explaining the good points of this one. How great that you have experience traveling so the book resonates with you. I think when I read something, and I have experience with it, the storyline is all the better. It sounds like this book was put together with great writing even though it has its minor flaws.
Everything happens for a reason...
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a hearty read that you would want to get lost in. I am glad that you enjoyed this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

An impressively realistic fictional adventure based strongly in fact and real life experiences. This sort of thing really brings fiction to life! Nice review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Another engaging review! I love travel novels and this one sounds enthralling and thought-provoking. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Given how detailed your review is, I can only imagine how much more detailed the book is. It's interesting to know the author has including his experiences being a traveller himself in writing this fiction book. Glad to know you can resonate with this book and thank you so much for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

cpru68 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 02:27 Nicely detailed review explaining the good points of this one. How great that you have experience traveling so the book resonates with you. I think when I read something, and I have experience with it, the storyline is all the better. It sounds like this book was put together with great writing even though it has its minor flaws.
Thank you for your kind comment! :) I think your insight is correct in that stories really resonate with readers if they've had similar experiences.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 05:53 Sounds like a hearty read that you would want to get lost in. I am glad that you enjoyed this read. Thank you for your review!
Absolutely it is. Thank you for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

joshfee77 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 06:01 An impressively realistic fictional adventure based strongly in fact and real life experiences. This sort of thing really brings fiction to life! Nice review.
I agree with you! I love good fiction based on real life. Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

SamSim wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 08:19 Another engaging review! I love travel novels and this one sounds enthralling and thought-provoking. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thank you so much! I do too because it's like you're traveling alongside the characters. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 08:25 Given how detailed your review is, I can only imagine how much more detailed the book is. It's interesting to know the author has including his experiences being a traveller himself in writing this fiction book. Glad to know you can resonate with this book and thank you so much for your review.
It is so detailed! When writing the review, I had to be quite selective about what I included because there were just so many things I could have talked about. Thanks for commenting! :)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like a good read. Especially for those of us who aren't quite lucky enough to travel much. Even a book of fiction can give you a good sense of a new place and culture. Thanks for your review.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 11:37 This sounds like a good read. Especially for those of us who aren't quite lucky enough to travel much. Even a book of fiction can give you a good sense of a new place and culture. Thanks for your review.
You're absolutely right -- reading can be a great way to travel and experience other places/cultures without actually going there. Thanks for your comment! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love all the different places that this explores. But it sounds a bit too loping for me. I prefer something with a bit more action. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 18:19 I love all the different places that this explores. But it sounds a bit too loping for me. I prefer something with a bit more action. Thanks, though.
That's understandable; I know many people who prefer the same. Thanks for commenting! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”