Official Review: Solitary Eyes on Fire and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Solitary Eyes on Fire and Other Stories

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solitary Eyes on Fire and Other Stories" by John David Wells.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solitary Eyes on Fire and Other Stories is a collection of 15 short stories aimed at giving the reader a glimpse into the deep moral decay and depravity in the world today. Aldous Huxley’s words sum it up thus: “Maybe this planet is another planet’s hell.”

Solitary Eyes on Fire tells the story of Todd Benjamin, a psychotic addict, and his gradual descent into schizophrenia. In his delirium, he believes he can see the Apostle John, mentioned in the Bible book of Revelations, on his girlfriend’s TV. The story shows him having irrational thoughts and carrying out actions typical of an insane person. Another short story is centered on domestic violence and tells of a woman with three kids who marries a man she has only known for three months. He traumatizes the entire family, and she eventually runs away with her kids. However, her son is determined to one day find his stepfather and make him pay. Some other stories in the book have themes like illicit sex, alcoholism, and rape.

In most of the different stories in this book, the author, John David Wells, gives the viewpoint of the people directly affected by the problems being addressed. An example is Dean, whose ex-wife Karen tries to explain her adulterous behavior as resulting from OCD. Expectedly, he does not believe that. Another example is Danny and Jackie who have to take responsibility for their sister Monica, a junkie addicted to heroin. It is glaringly obvious that moral depravity of all kinds can disrupt the lives of not just the people involved, but those of their loved ones as well.

Please note that this book is not for the sensitive or prudish reader. It contains a lot of swear words and other offensive vocabularies. The author has decided to be as explicit as possible and does not gloss over the sensitive parts of these stories. Sex scenes and orgies are described in detail, and there are also scenes depicting violence, even against children. However, these stories serve as eye-openers into the level of depravity in the world today. They also give a glimpse into the likely end results of making irresponsible decisions in the course of living for pleasure.

Sadly, I am unable to award this book more than 2 out of 4 stars. This is due to the awful formatting and grammar errors. Inconsistent font type and size were used all through the book. The paragraphs were also not properly aligned in some places. Then it had quite a number of missing words. Nevertheless, if you are not easily offended, you are likely to find this book rather interesting.

Solitary Eyes on Fire and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

After reading your synopsis I believe you on the account of this book is not for a sensitive person. I am happy that it reflects on the today world's situation. The crisis that humanity has fall into. Too bad about the grammatical errors though but I think will give t a try. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I’ve read a lot of horror and some dark thrillers but this one might be a bit full-on even for me! I applaud the author for pulling no punches, though. I would skip it based on the poor formatting and editing, anyway. Very distracting if you are trying to really get into a story.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, but I don’t think I could cope with so much negativity in one book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 01:06 After reading your synopsis I believe you on the account of this book is not for a sensitive person. I am happy that it reflects on the today world's situation. The crisis that humanity has fall into. Too bad about the grammatical errors though but I think will give t a try. Thank you!
You’re welcome.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

joshfee77 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 02:34 I’ve read a lot of horror and some dark thrillers but this one might be a bit full-on even for me! I applaud the author for pulling no punches, though. I would skip it based on the poor formatting and editing, anyway. Very distracting if you are trying to really get into a story.
When I see poor formatting I wonder why the author would take the time to write a full book and not ensure it is visually appealing. Like maybe he/she just feels like tormenting the reader? :) :(
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 03:30 Great review, but I don’t think I could cope with so much negativity in one book.
Thanks for stopping by. :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I guess I would be one of those sensitive readers who would not enjoy this content. I appreciate that the author tries to explain these mental illnesses, but the grammatical errors and constant formatting changes would drive me nuts. However, those are easily fixable with a good editor. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 07:58 I guess I would be one of those sensitive readers who would not enjoy this content. I appreciate that the author tries to explain these mental illnesses, but the grammatical errors and constant formatting changes would drive me nuts. However, those are easily fixable with a good editor. Thanks for the information.
I hope the author decides to have those issues fixed. Some of the stories are actually quite interesting.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Books that "tell it like it is," and make us face and reflect on ourselves and our nature, are important. I think this particular one is too heavy for me, though. Thanks for the balanced review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

SamSim wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 17:06 Books that "tell it like it is," and make us face and reflect on ourselves and our nature, are important. I think this particular one is too heavy for me, though. Thanks for the balanced review!
I’m glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for stopping by.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review was great but unfortunately I'm one of those sensitive squeamish types that distaste violence and depressive stories, so pass.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It may be seen as a dystopian story that unreveals the uglyness of this world.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”