Official Review: King Donald Khrump

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: King Donald Khrump

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "King Donald Khrump" by Phil O. Reilly pen name (Brian David Hill).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apparently, "trump" is slang for "pass gas" in England. Since I totally agree with this sentiment, it was with pleasure that I decided to review King Donald Khrump: A Khrump to Trump and Dump Them All by Phil O. Reilly (real name: Brian David Hill). This satirical tome describes King Khrump's first 100 days in office, as penned by one of his best friends, Phil O. Reilly of Fix News. Before reading about the "wondrous" things that Khrump accomplishes after taking office, we get a brief glimpse into his younger years, as he grows from a human-gorilla hybrid into a creature who can pass as human, gaining fame along the way.

According to the blurb I read when selecting the book, the author "takes the ridiculousness of the current White House administration and pushes it right over the edge" in an alternate universe-type deal. I was a little skeptical because it seems to me that that this administration is as ridiculous as one can get, but true to his word, the author threw in some really off-the-wall stuff. I loved how he took true occurrences and wildly exaggerated them. The same goes for the administration's philosophies. One of my favorite explanations of the RNC's thought processes is from a passage found on page 8:
"You see, there's light beer and there's light-calorie snack chips, so why not light God?...The new RNC would make God light a part of their policy platform! They would use God as a kind of flavoring to be sprinkled on the policies of the new RNC. A little God here, a little God there, a little God everywhere!"
I also really liked O. Reilly's description of Fix News: "It ain't news 'til we Fix it!" Even though these words - and many others - are fictional, they have a giant ring of truth to me! I liked the pseudonyms the author gave the characters and entities that are based on real life as well. For instance, the Republicans were renamed the "Repugnicans", whereas the Democrats were referred to as the "Dreamocrats". Arnold Schwarzenegger became "Arnold Shifenbakker", and Sean Hannity was "Hannah Seanity". In addition, the Dreamocrats' network of choice was AVNN, "Actual Verified News Network". The book is FULL is such references, but you'll have to read it to know them all.

Not being a President Trump fan and therefore not following all of his moves, I wasn't able to fully compare real world events with fictional ones, but I do know that some of the things occurring during King Khrump's first 100 days are based on real life. For instance, the accusation that Russia helped Trump to win the election was included, as was the attempt to discard "Obamacare", referred to as "Dandycare" - named for the former King, "Chezvic Dandyfoyl" - in this tome. Even though actual events often move me to tears, I was crying from tears of laughter as I made my way from page 1 to page 143. The author pulled zero punches when lambasting the current administration, and I fully enjoyed it. Since it's written from Phil O. Reilly's viewpoint, the tome is full of glowing, sappy adoration, and I could almost hear the author - who is staunchly NOT Republican - chuckling as he wrote this. I'll also say that the ending is a slam-dunk that I'll be sure to revisit time and again; merely calling it a "twist" doesn't even do it justice!

Since this tome is a satire, I can't say that the characterizations were 100% accurate, but I will say that I could "hear" things in the appropriate voices. So, for instance, when King Khrump spoke, it was President Trump's voice that I heard. I could also "see" the people moving in the ways they really do; in this book, all of the characters' mannerisms were fully intact. Caricatures are not easy to write, and I think the author did an extraordinary job in his endeavor.

As much as I loved this sarcastic and witty re-imagining of events, I do have to mention that there were a few grammatical missteps. Most the mistakes were missing apostrophes, but there was also one instance of a capitalization mishap, one time that the wrong word was used, and one time that "Seanity" was misspelled. Additionally, many of the sentences had double spaces between them. Still, I was so enjoying the book that I actually had to force myself to note them.

Since this was one of the best satires I've read in a long while, I can't help but give King Donald Khrump 4 out of 4 stars. It probably goes without saying, but I doubt this book would be amusing for strong Republicans. Democrats who are fed-up with the status-quo, however, are sure to love it. I also recommend this book to fans of political satire. Due to mature situations, I would not recommend it for younger readers.

If you haven't had your "fix" of President Trump news in a while, follow along with King Khrump and his wife, Ninatina, Lewis Dobson, and others for a wild re-visitation of the President...er, the King's first 100 days.

King Donald Khrump
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

This seems like a fantastic piece of satire. Especially as someone living outside the US, Trump's actions seem so comical, and this book sounds like it captures that fantastically. While I also haven't been following Trump's actions particularly closely, I think enough of it filters in through international news that I would enjoy the references to real-life events and figures. Great review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Apparently, "trump" is slang for "pass gas" in England.
I can confirm that, though it has to be a good loud one that sounds like a trumpet was involved.
we get a brief glimpse into his younger years, as he grows from a human-gorilla hybrid into a creature who can pass as human, gaining fame along the way.
But surely that is the UK’s foreign secretary, Boris Johnson!

That book sounds brilliant! I wish he’d do the same in the current UK government. We have a shaved orangutan who likes to dangle from zip wires, a character that escaped from a Dickens novel, a guy who insists we need to give him a royal yacht before he can negotiate trade deals, a woman who doesn’t realise that Jane Austen is dead, and a clown who can’t make a sandwich.

Such fertile ground!

Great review, I really want to read this book!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is not a book for me. I do not like political satire at all. I also feel that we should have some level of respect for President Trump whether or not we agree with what he has done. Like it or not, he is President, and we can't do anything about it until the next election. Just my two cents. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Social Butterfly
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly »

MsTri wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:41 but I doubt this book would be amusing for strong Republicans. Democrats who are fed-up with the status-quo, however, are sure to love it.
I totally agree with you on that. But I think this would be a funny and interesting read. Identifying the pseudonyms would be like a fun riddle game. Thumbs up on your detailed review
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I love the phrase "It ain't news 'til we Fix it!" As an American, I feel like every time Trump opens his mouth I'm actually watching a Saturday Night Live skit. I'll start respecting the president when our president starts respecting the presidency.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds absolutely brilliant! I saw this book on the select list, but you beat me to it. :lol: I'm glad that it lived up to your expectations, and can't wait to get myself a copy too. Thank you for the wonderfully written review!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Helen_Combe wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 07:17
Apparently, "trump" is slang for "pass gas" in England.
I can confirm that, though it has to be a good loud one that sounds like a trumpet was involved.
we get a brief glimpse into his younger years, as he grows from a human-gorilla hybrid into a creature who can pass as human, gaining fame along the way.
But surely that is the UK’s foreign secretary, Boris Johnson!

That book sounds brilliant! I wish he’d do the same in the current UK government. We have a shaved orangutan who likes to dangle from zip wires, a character that escaped from a Dickens novel, a guy who insists we need to give him a royal yacht before he can negotiate trade deals, a woman who doesn’t realise that Jane Austen is dead, and a clown who can’t make a sandwich.

Such fertile ground!

Great review, I really want to read this book!
Well, believe you me; it certainly qualifies as a trumpet over here!... Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa! I'm afraid I don't know many details about your current political climate, but it sounds bad there, too! If Mr. Hill doesn't write it, it certainly seems that YOU could!... And thanks for the comments.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

CommMayo wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:54 I love the phrase "It ain't news 'til we Fix it!" As an American, I feel like every time Trump opens his mouth I'm actually watching a Saturday Night Live skit. I'll start respecting the president when our president starts respecting the presidency.
Here ye', here ye'!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I like the Fix News slogan. This sounds like a winner of political satires and those who aren't the strongest supporters of Trump. I don't normally go for political satires and as someone who doesn't follow politics, I think this would go over my head. I'm glad you got a kick out of it though. I can tell from your review it is pretty humorous.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I can see how this would be a great book, as you have said, for those who like political satires. I am not one, mostly because the reality is exhausting and it is hard for me to laugh. I kinda wish I could. Thanks for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I know anyone can easily be amused by Mr. Trump and his idiosyncrasies but I still think that the satire in this book is somewhat disrespectful to him. Thank you for your great review.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

It seems like it has become fashionable to mock our leaders given their peculiar shortcomings, but for entertainment I guess this book is worth a read.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I love the author's brilliant use of satire. Your review is great.
Salihu Auwal Lugga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salihu-auwal-lugga.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Salihu Auwal Lugga »

I hope the book was not gudmental, as it would be more interesting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”