Official Review: Prostitute of State by Kate Kinnear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Prostitute of State by Kate Kinnear

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prostitute of State" by Kate Kinnear.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prostitute of State by Kate Kinnear is a novel about Jack Paradies, a man returning to his hometown of Sighclone, Nebraska after working as a secret agent during the Cold War. Upon his return, Jack quickly finds himself drawn to Jade, the owner of the local bar with a trying past of her own, and the two strike up a romance that quickly blossoms. The premise of the story is two-fold: As Jack relays his past to Jade, an aspiring writer who plans to turn his narration into a novel, the story of Jack’s dark past is described; meanwhile the reader is also privy to the evolution of the current-day relationship between Jack and Jade.

At first glance, this story doesn’t sound uncommon; however, where the author really shines is in the development of her characters. When Jack and Jade are first introduced, it is easy to misconstrue the two as stereotypes: the hard-natured, local woman who had a tough childhood; and the mysterious-bad-boy veteran returned home. However, as the story unfolds, so do the complex and multilayered personas of these two characters. By the end of the book, Jack and Jade are vividly real, and like most people we meet, they have good qualities and bad. Further, the relationship between these two is no façade; Kinnear wonderfully paints a realistic, if not sometimes too realistic, picture of world-weary lovers simply trying to make it through life.

In addition to Jack and Jade, the secondary characters in this novel are just as well drawn. Lucy, Jade’s daughter, and Fentje, a young girl from Jack’s past, both bring some levity to the story and help to further illustrate the complexities of the main characters. Moreover, without going into overwhelming detail, Kinnear brings the small town populace to life with sporadic descriptions, aptly placed throughout the narrative, of various Sighclone locals. It was the mark of a well-executed novel to see main characters, secondary characters and background characters all so expertly developed.

On top of the first-rate characterizations, the construction of this story made for an engaging read. At first I was curious to know where the plot was moving, but as the story progressed, the novel quickly turned into a character study as I began to learn who these characters really were and what, exactly, had led them to their current circumstance. The juxtaposition of Jack narrating his past life to Jade against the progression of the current relationship between Jack, Jade and Lucy added to the intricate nature of the plotting and ultimately bolstered the realism of the characters.

Although the story found in Prostitute of State was exceptionally well devised, the writing lacked finesse in certain areas. There were some instances of clumsy wording and overwrought descriptors, as well as punctuation errors throughout the narrative. However, these issues, though noticeable, did not detract from my general enjoyment of the story.

I truly struggled with rating this book. For the captivating, well-structured narrative and the beautiful satisfaction found in the complex and multilayered characters, I wanted to rate this book a strong four stars. However, the need for additional editing leaves me with no choice but to rate Prostitute of State 3 out of 4 stars. I strongly urge readers who enjoy fiction with a focus on gritty, passionate characters to give this book a read.

Prostitute of State
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Well-drawn characters can make or break a story. I’m glad this one is well done! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nimat87 »

Although I'm not really a fan of fiction, this sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review, the book seems like an exciting read!
Sasati
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sasati »

Good characterization, the story is nice. I really like fiction.
Thanks for a good review.
mayreeh2

Post by mayreeh2 »

I must say..the book is enticing to read
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Seems like this book has some excellent character development. With professional editing it would be a perfect 4 stars. Great review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Hopefully the author will step up and engage with a professional editor to take the book to the next level. Thanks for your review.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This probably isn’t my genre of choice, but I found your review to be very insightful. The author seems to have done a great job developing the characters to create a rather compelling storyline. I always feel so disappointed when I find out that a book has errors in it. Let’s hope for a proofread and clean up so that extra star gets added. Great job on this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the clumsy writing. I do appreciate how great the characters are, though. Good characters can overcome a variety of faults. Sounds like this one is still worth reading. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Khubert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khubert.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khubert »

It’s too bad about the poor editing. That can distract a grammar Nazi from enjoying any book. Thank you for a very informative review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

The characterization and development - especially when you said that, by the end, they were "vividly real" - really made me want to read this book. Your review changed my mind, as the cover initially put me off. I like the parallel stories of the past and the present. Despite the editing problems you noted, I think I'll be reading this one. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Books with deep characterizations of secondary characters along with the lead characters makes for a very strong book. I look forward to reading this myself, as I'm curious to know how the title connects to the actual plot.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Kelian

Post by Kelian »

Development of characters and uniformity with their roles in a story is a rare thing, this book is seem to be so fictional.
Thanks for the quick review.
Mohsin_zia
Currently Reading:

Post by Mohsin_zia »

From title to end the book is owe some and writer briefly describe their thoughts .

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”