Official Review: American Fascist by Malcom James

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: American Fascist by Malcom James

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Fascist" by Malcom James.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

American Fascist by Malcom James is a political thriller about a fictional U.S. President. Despite the polls predicting otherwise, billionaire and political neophyte Harold P. Franks beats his female opponent in the 2016 Presidential campaign (sound familiar?). One of Franks’ key traits is shooting from the hip with controversial, often ignorant comments in the media.

Tech geek Eli Green is contracted to provide social media advertising for the Franks campaign. Once Franks becomes President, Eli is offered a job in the White Office Policy Office. The plot thickens when he is paid a huge consulting salary to install a secret taping system in the Oval Office.

I enjoyed this well-written story although I am recovering from a severe case of déjà vu. It is written in third person from Eli’s perspective. He is an interesting character who struggles with the unethical dealings in the White House. The author does a good job of describing the manic atmosphere of working in this environment. Every few pages there is another shoe that drops, whether it’s a poorly conceived policy, dismantling of a department or policy, wild tweet, or senior staff member’s resignation.

It’s now time to address the elephant in the room. This book is a thinly (as in paper thin) disguised story of the Trump presidency, although the central plot is fictional (as far as I know). Eli seems to be the only major character that doesn’t bear striking similarities to a real-life counterpart. The reader is introduced to President Franks, who has a successful real estate company and a thick head of hair; during the campaign, many women came forward to say they were sexually assaulted by him. It is also incredibly easy to figure out who the rest of the characters are in relation to the real-life White House staff. With name changes, the story contains countless accounts of true events– for example, the travel ban, the Special Counsel’s investigation about Russian interference in the election, the entertainment TV show tape, and the firing of the FBI Director, to name a few. It’s like reading a scrapbook of the Trump administration.

If it’s not already apparent, the plot is busy which weighs down the pace. By the middle of the book, I felt like I was running in place. Still, the side stories are easy to keep track of, mainly because I already knew about the real-life events. The good news is the second half is inventive and the pace quickens to a roaring conclusion.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an interesting read, but the story and characters are mostly unoriginal and the plot is cluttered. I felt like I was reading a play-by-play of almost every single event and person in the real-life Trump administration and Special Counsel’s investigation. That being said, Eli is a likable character and some parts of the storyline are fresh. I would recommend the book to readers who enjoy political thrillers and fiction based on true events.

American Fascist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I have to assume the author had no intention of veiling their mock-up. Perhaps this was simply the easiest way to highlight while avoiding a defamation lawsuit :lol2:

I have wondered aloud to my husband over the past year (without being political) if we should expect deluges of these memoirs from aides once the presidency changes hands. Are they disallowed by gag orders from writing such books? Inquiring minds want to know!!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

HAHAHA oh man, the concept of this made me laugh. I suppose it was unavoidable that the first half of the book referenced events that are happening today, given the subject matter. XD Shame about the too-busy plot, but ah well, that's what the news looks like every morning when I open up Twitter to a feed full of screaming tweets...

That aside, thank you for your review and for drawing attention to this book. I think it's incredibly topical! :P
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Eli seems to be one interesting character. In addition to certain real lifes similarities, this book seems to also have some similarities to The House of Cards.

You've done justice to the review. Loved reading it.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thanks for your review. Sounds a little nightmare-inducing, but maybe if the author makes sense of it all it´s worth a try, it all depends on the angle it takes.
Very interesting.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. But, I stay away from ANYTHING even remotely politically related. Nevertheless that this one is so plainly to do with the Trump administration. I just don't feel that I need that in my life right now. However, I'm glad that you found it to be relatively enjoyable. Thanks for another fabulous review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Kandscreeley and Lunastella - I both enjoyed and got a headache from the story, if that makes sense. NL_Hartje - I also wondered about a possible defamation lawsuit, although I think the President has other things to worry about at the moment.
Lizzie Robinson
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-robinson.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lizzie Robinson »

I must admit this book has caught my interest, given the parrallels. Though it would probably give me a headache too haha. I think I might put it on my to-read anyway though, it’s interesting enough to have me wanting to give it a shot!
Shaunie092
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shaunie092 »

Thanks for the review! This book and your review piqued my interest, however I can't bare the PTSD inducing trauma that will accompany it right now. Definitely a book I'll place on my bookshelf for the future :)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A political thriller about a fictional U.S. President doesn't sound that original. It isn't really my cup of tea, so I will skip it. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the busy plot and the slow pace. I also wonder about possible defamation lawsuit, as it so thinly veiled. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It actually sounds well done, but I'm not a fan of politics. Thanks for the review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

These kinds of books...Animal Farm was a thinly veiled political piece, and yet somehow I think that would be an easier read for me. I think I have hit the saturation point on 45 ridiculousness and would not be able to tolerate an entire book about the same, no matter how artistically relayed. But thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed it!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love political fiction but don't think I need to read a "stranger than fiction" novel since we're living that right now.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Please tell me that Franks gets thrown out of office by the end of the book!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:52 Please tell me that Franks gets thrown out of office by the end of the book!
No spoilers. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”