Review by alisonedgee -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alisonedgee
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by alisonedgee -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by alisonedgee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love . . .at your service is the story of a young man, Randy, who lives under an illusion of grandeur. He believes he is smarter, more handsome, and generally better than everyone else. Born of a surprise pregnancy, when his siblings were already out of school, Randy has to navigate the world whist living in their shadow. Intelligent but lazy, his family doesn’t have high hopes for him. The reader follows Randy as he moved from temp work, to a full time job, and finally moves to London.

The strongest feature of this book is its realism. Initially set in a sleepy town in the Home Counties, Carter does really well to capture the mundane. From minor issues neighbours argue about, to what the young people do with their days, and the repetitive dullness of work. We experience all of this through Randy’s eyes, and it’s a very accurate account of what life is like when one is permanently bored. The more entertaining parts of the first half of the book are what Randy gets up to trying to keep himself entertained at work.

This book is mostly entertaining, it would make a good beach read. There’s no serious heavy drama, there aren’t any challenging passages, and it’s a very easy read.

On the other hand, it isn’t particularly captivating. I wasn’t desperate to come back for more. Randy is amusing, but doesn’t connect with the reader. Part of the character is that he thinks he’s better than everyone, but that makes it difficult to make him a sympathetic character. You’ll read on to see what happens from a situation, but you’re not connected to him enough to really care. Same for the supporting characters, John, Randy’s dad, his girlfriend, his friends, and siblings. They all have affect Randy, so are important to the story, but we get very basic character descriptions. We know what they look like, what they do for a living, and are told their character traits. Unfortunately those traits never seem to come out.

Women in the book were a big issue for me. The reader is introduced to everyone through Randy’s eyes, and Randy, being in his early twenties, doesn’t think of women more than skin deep. The language used to talk about the women is pretty vile and was at many times quite off putting.

Overall I give this a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. Very readable and entertaining, I can’t fault any grammar or spelling, so well edited. There just isn’t a strong enough connection to the characters to push the rating any higher.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like alisonedgee's review? Post a comment saying so!

gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: James Grant by Stanislas Yassukovich

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review - this seems like a nice beach read and nothing more.

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

thanks for the feedback - i'm glad you see where i'm coming from

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: An Excellent Treatment of HIV/AIDS by Jean Bosco Sahaha
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq »

You are right, it's a light hearted read with an interesting plot. But some flaws in character description and profane language lowers its rating. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

thanks for taking the time to comment, i'm glad you agree

trajoe1206
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for your detailed review. I don't think this is up my alley, but may work for a quick read

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

yeah, it’s not really for everyone i don’t think - cheers for taking the time to comment

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”