Official Review: Playing Hurt by Gerald L Nardella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Playing Hurt by Gerald L Nardella

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Playing Hurt" by Gerald L Nardella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Playing Hurt by Gerald L Nardella is a relatable and starkly realistic narrative about high school drama and social pressures in the 1960s. It follows two teenagers, Brian and Deanie, as they navigate the trials of their senior year. There's a heavy emphasis on sex, as it pertains to adolescents who are just starting to understand the subject. The most remarkable thing about Playing Hurt, though, is its down-to-earth depictions of the conflicting pressures in both boys' and girls' lives regarding sex and relationships.

Despite the reputation of female characters written by male authors being shallow caricatures, I was able to see myself in Deanie and her friends. Their attitudes towards sex and relationships are defined by the twin pressures of their parents to stay abstinent until marriage and the ever-present pressure from their male peers to have sex with them. This dichotomy is handled stunningly well, with no navel-gazing about how the world is unfair and attitudes should be different. These things just are.

Brian's character was, arguably, more impressive. Toxic masculinity is so rarely addressed in media, and Brian buys into it full force; its harmful side effects hit him hard, particularly towards the end of the novel. It was amazing how well Nardella portrayed the ways that seeing women as property can damage men, ranging from jealousy and self-esteem issues to outright violence. This was quite eye-opening to me, as I hadn't often considered how our culture's gender expectations can harm men, too.

Both Brian and Deanie are victims of peer pressure, which plays out in a myriad of forms. There's a side plot about their high school's rivalry with another school, Brian's friend Dick engages in criminal behavior, and Deanie's ex-boyfriend Bill threatens and even assaults her. These events serve to keep the narrative moving, but they never come at the expense of clarity or character development, and Nardella does an excellent job of staying focused on the overarching issues of sexuality, misogyny, and toxic masculinity that he set out to tackle.

The writing style of Playing Hurt is straightforward and clean, with enough description to give readers a sense of the characters and environment, but not enough to bog down the story. It's a quick read, at 116 pages, and I found it shockingly compelling for its length. For these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It's not a happy story, so those looking for a light romance set in the 1960s should look elsewhere. I'd recommend Playing Hurt to those who enjoy in character-driven narratives that focus on the heavy themes I outlined above, and I can see it being of particular interest to anyone looking to better understand the confusion towards sexuality felt by adolescents. It's a gem of a story, and remarkably moving.

Playing Hurt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review. This sounds like an awesome novel discussing sensitive topics without being boring.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Wow, this sounds like quite the dramatic novel. It has an interesting premise that is so rarely discussed, and I’m glad to see that it did not get bogged down on the “life's not fair” side of things and instead simply presented the social failures as they are.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like the themes brought out in the story-the issue of sex and peer pressure among teens. The author has masterfully developed the characters, which makes the story more interesting. Thanks for the review.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Even though this book's setting is the 60s, your review makes me think of 80s brat-pack films where this same overriding pressure for sex is at the forefront. I suppose it's the case no matter the decade. Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Aliyuoniye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aliyuoniye »

is a relatable and starkly realistic narrative about high school drama and social pressures in the 1960s. Sweet book, recommended for any book reader.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. I do love that time period, but I don't know much about the social pressures of that time. Sounds interesting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Sounds like a succinct novel treating relevant, heavy issues with a balanced approach. I am interested in reading it to find out how men are affected by these gender/sexual issues. It is a sadly one-sided conversation these days. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I would be curious to see how today's teenagers with their open sexuality would react to the struggles of that time period.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh man, thank you for reading and reviewing this book! The conversation about gender roles and expectations has to be had, and this book seems like a good place to start. :) Good characterisation is also always a definite plus, and I liked that the book is short and sweet!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thank you for the excellent review. This sounds like a very good book and insightful for the reader to understand how these social pressures affect young men in a negative way as well as young women.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The story sounds unique as most authors focus on other topics in novels set in the 1960's (civil rights movement, the Vietnam war). It was a treat to read your opinions since I recently considered choosing this book for review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that follows the trials of two teenagers in a small town in the 60s sounds intense, especially with the heavy themes. The authentic descriptions of conflicts and peer pressures is certainly a bonus. That the author focuses on issues that are rarely addressed in the media is another plus. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Incredible review! Personally, the events of the book and its characters doesn't feel relatable to me, but I'm glad it resonated with you. Especially since sex before marriage is still a taboo around here. Thank you for your review.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
princebona
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by princebona »

It's a book that reveals what most of the female genders encounters, the problems they go through

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”