Official Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: Official Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review! Your review detailed enough of the story to make me want to read this book "Two Sheldon Iowa Summers." I enjoy reading about drug addiction and the impact on society. It is a must read and thanks to you for such an incredible review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your detailed review. You've done the book ample justice. By giving it a higher rating despite its need for further editing and proofreading, you made the piece seem interesting enough to pique curiosity. If it could help people to overcome personal predicaments and other troubling circumstances, then it deserves checking out for such purpose.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sopuruchi
Currently Reading: The Unforgiven
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sopuruchi »

Donald De Vries brings us back in time to small town USA where families kept secrets, love and friendships were tested and proven and nothing was as it seemed. This is not your Mayberry RFD - but it's closer to the hometowns we all know and love. This wonderful novella fulfills its' promise to enthrall and draw you in to the dramatic whirlwind that is Sheldon, IA. Characters are immediately life-like and I fell in love with them, warts and all. De Vries writes in an honest, open way that makes you truly care about what happens next. De Vries handles tough subjects such as addiction and mental illness in a realistic manner. The story is engrossing from beginning to end. The reason for 4-stars instead of 5 is that the book needs further editing for grammar and spelling issues.
Bookbum-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookbum- »

From the sounds of your detailed review it seems that the reader will jump into the character’s lives. The grammar and spelling will be frustrating for me as I tend to notice every foopa. But I’m hooked on the storyline and that the author depicts it vividly from what you’ve said .
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This genre isn't really for me, but the premise of secrets and struggles in a small town does appeal somewhat to my curiosity. Such a shame about the errors. I've told myself never to try a book that is poorly edited, I always think I can overlook the grammatical and formatting mistakes, but they always prove too distracting and ruin the reading experience.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

thanks for this...the summary was really ineffective.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

It's always amazing when descriptions are able to draw you in and make you feel as if you're right there with the characters, watching them grow and mature. Unfortunately, I think this story would need some more editing for me to consider reading it. Thanks for the great review!
Sneaky459+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Sneaky459+ »

I truly enjoyed your review of this book. I want to read it because it seems to fit with everday living addicts,mental illness,and death. With the setting being in a small town I can relate I'm from a small town .Again, thank you for your reveiw.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

This sounds really unusual. To be honest, the muddled nature of the book's blurb on Amazon put me off, though.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I'm glad that the author was able to portray not only those directly affected by mental illness well but also those who are in contact with that person every day.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Thank you for your review. This book, I will admit, is not my typical read but this one sounds interesting enough that I might just give it a try! :techie-studyingbrown:
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

This book seems very intriguing based upon the description from Amazon and the review above. The fact that the author fictionized his life history in the form of this novel gives further validity to the narrative. Relationships that evolve over the course of high school into college can be quite challenging, especially with the added element of real-life situations such as mental illness, substance abuse, and tragedy. It is encouraging and uplifting that the small town is able to come together as a close-knit community in order to support each other through these adversities. When fictionalized figures can be brought to life in a story by an author’s sensitive characterization it can be quite rewarding for the reader. Thank you for sharing your own review of what appears to be a very commanding book.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Great review! This book has some pretty heavy themes. Seeing how the characters are able to prevail could be an inspiration to many.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

I feel like I was reading a different book...maybe I just didn't get far enough. Your review makes me want to read the book, but what I read was confusing and kinda trippy. The author's writing style seemed better suited to poetry than prose to me. I think I probably will not try to press on, but congrats on writing such a compelling review.
kipkuric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by kipkuric »

Great review giving a vivid description of such a captivating book. Alcoholism and mental illness are my favourite part, what did the main characters do in order to counter the impact of addictions. Also love and family are pros to the entire book. Watching the main character develops and mature in a relationship make is realistic.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”