Official Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Official Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a coming of age romantic fiction story with a captivating plot that highlights growth,friendship and redemption. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully and represented the book perfectly. The book is free on Amazon Kindle.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I grew up in a small town, and I like seeing a novel which doesn't just gloss over the ugly stuff and over-romanticize small-town life. I'm also glad that the author seems to handle mental illness realistically. The grammatical and formatting issues might be a problem for me, but if the story overpowered those errors for you, it might do so for me as well. Thank you for the thorough and helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
paulitfaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulitfaa.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by paulitfaa »

I did a research on drug and alcohol addiction being the main causes of youth mental illness. However i discovered that societal pressure and outlook was primordial in fomenting the madness. The addicts are aware they are consuming contraband but are easily pushed into madness when they are unable to harness a simple problem.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A good book for persons or families that had experience how is like to live with mental illness, alcohol, drugs and death. Is always good to read small town stories. It doesn't matter if it has many grammatical errors. What is important is the richness of the story. Congrats.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Honestly, I wasn't enticed by the cover but your review piqued my interest. I am definitely gonna read this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I was concerned about the errors that I found in the sample, but your review reassured me that it is still a worthful read for the discussion of mental illness and addictions. Thanks for a great review.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Thanks for the great review. I am particularly interested in books that address addiction, I look forward to reading it.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Addiction is never a good look in anyone, and I like that this book highlights the issue without veering towards victim shaming.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

As I read this review, my heart was immediately drawn to all of the characters in the story - and not just because we hail from Iowa! :P The story is very moving and down to earth, depicting the challenges faced by families of persons living with disabilities or addictions. Les and Lorraine, college sweethearts seem like lovable characters who find ways to grow and mature in their love despite the troubles going on around them. Thumbs up :handgestures-thumbup: for this review and for this book!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

It appears you have enjoyed reading this novel. Thanks for the remarkable review. Family stories and stories connected with different kinds of people are always worthy to read, as they open up to many aspects and experiences of life, which we may not be aware of otherwise. It looks like the plot included life in a small city, different types of addictions and the effects, tragedies in a family and coping up with the pain, etc. I am with the reviewer's opinion that the book should be edited so that it will be nice to read. I appreciate the author for writing and publishing his first book in his 70s.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I like books like this with very interesting plot. Set in a small town, about the lives of people and their challenges I would love to read this. Great review.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Sounds like a great and enchanting book. I would really love to read every bit of the book to find out how the characters faced their addictions and mental health issues. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging from your review, this book has portrayed several complex issues such as mental illness and drug addiction realistically. Thanks for the review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Thank you for such a great write up on the book. I had a hard time understanding the synopsis on Amazon so really had no idea what it was about. It sounds like a touching story that raises important issues. Too bad about the grammar, spelling, etc. Maybe the author can get a good editor and re-release. Thanks again for the insightful (and helpful) review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I enjoy books set in small towns and I think I'd enjoy this book. The cover is not very attractive but your review has me sold. Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”