Official Review: Urban Rhapsody by Wili G.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Urban Rhapsody by Wili G.

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Urban Rhapsody" by Wili G..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"What's going on. Ya, what's going on. Tell me what's going on, I'll tell you what's going on." - Marvin Gaye
I can't say much about the world today, but I can tell you that what's going on in Urban Rhapsody is a whole lot of great storytelling!

Urban: "In, relating to, or characteristic of a city or town." Nowadays, this word often has a second connotation, representing areas in which people of color live.
Rhapsody: "An instrumental composition irregular in form and suggestive of improvisation." Rhapsody Blues is a famous song which makes excellent use of extemporization.
Urban Rhapsody: An entertaining yet thought-provoking composition of stories that are based in urban areas, making excellent use of improvisation.

Written by Wili G, Urban Rhapsody is perfectly named, and I will be forever grateful that I got to partake of such a provocative assemblage of stories that illustrate many facets of the black experience; I am aware that not all African-Americans live in these ways, so I didn't want to make a blanket statement. Still, even if we haven't lived it ourselves, I'm sure that we've all heard of single mothers who are stuck taking care of themselves and their children, with seemingly no way out of bad situations. We all know of a family that held such promise being taken down by drugs and poverty. We've all heard tell of a seemingly-innocent teenager snapping and taking down their peers in a gun shower. Less heard of perhaps are the stories of good single fathers taking care of their children or women choosing possible death in their quest to successfully give birth. These themes and more are explored by this wonderful author. Also applause-worthy is that the title of each story is taken from a song title from Marvin Gaye's award-winning album, What's Going On, a provocative collection itself. In addition, most of the stories quote lines from the songs they're named after, which I don't think was any small feat; done wrong, it could have resulted in cheesy, forced lines that made the reader shake their head. Thankfully, that was not the case here.

Of the nine tales told therein, my favorites are Wholly Holy, Flyin' High (in the Friendly Sky), and Right On. Wholly Holy is the tale of a woman on her seventh pregnancy praying that it will result in a live birth after six miscarriages and stillborns. As if her pregnancy isn't stressful enough, she also has to contend with an insolent husband, witchcraft, and a curse. Obviously, this is not something that most of us go through, but the tale was very interesting and at times, maddening. Flyin' High (in the Friendly Sky) tells the story of a family's descent into poverty after the father loses his job and has trouble finding another job that pays as well. Unfortunately, this is a recurring theme seen in families of all colors, and I thought Mr. G tackled the subject quite handily. Finally, Right On follows several people in the weeks leading up to the party of the year, taking place on Labor Day at Harmony's abode. The attendees include an abused woman and her abuser, a heterosexual male on the rebound unwillingly shacking up with a homosexual man who uses his body as payment, and a "cougar" in her 40s with her teenaged lover. How their stories are resolved at the party is on-the-edge-of-one's-seat reading.

I loved Will G's writing, which showed an intimate knowledge of the dialect and, dare I say, "Ebonics" that persons of color often employ. On occasion, however, there would be a weird blend of "proper" talk mixed with slang, which left me scratching my head at the duality. The author also did a superb job in his character studies; even if I didn't agree with actions that the people took, I could understand their motivations and desires. I just wish there had been more description of the characters' physical attributes. I had only the vaguest idea of what anyone looked like, but perhaps the author wanted it that way so the focus would be more on what they were doing than how they looked while doing it, which would make sense in such a compilation. I also want to note that some of the tales, such as Inner City Blues and Mercy, Mercy Me, were not written as linear stories. That is, they didn't have the expected introduction-conflict-resolution flow that we learned about in grade school. These stories are more of brief looks into people's lives, and I fully appreciated them for what they are. Still, sticklers for clear endings may want to be aware of this.

This tome did have a handful grammatical errors, consisting mostly of letters missing from words and writing one word as two words or vice-versa, like "into" when it should be "in to". There were also two instances of the wrong word being used, such as "intensive" instead of the correct "intense". However, I was enjoying the book so much that I had to force myself to look for such missteps, so they did not take away from the flow.

With all things considered, I cannot give Urban Rhapsody anything less than 4 out of 4 stars. The tales therein made me weep, celebrate, and get angered for my fellow humans of all persuasions who may be going through such trials of their own, and any book than can do that is an A+ in my estimation. I therefore recommend this book to readers of all races, colors, and creeds who love stories that make them think and/or sympathize, as well as fans of urban tales. I also think that fans of Marvin Gaye will like it due to its provocative nature. I will warn, however, that there are some instances of graphic violence and sexual situations, so those who don't like such scenes should steer clear of this.

Urban Rhapsody
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I have never been a fan of short-story collections. Then I read The Buried Secrets of Peonies, by Mernegar Dorgoly, and I decided I had really sold a powerful format short. Now I'm on the hunt for other engaging short-story collections and this one sounds like my next read. I love the glimpses into the lives of people, all kinds of people, especially when I'm made to examine lives I know nothing about because they're so different from my own. These kinds of short stories engage us in a way that tears down judgmental attitudes and emphasizes how similar we all are because of our needs, emotions, and desires. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

The story of Wholly Holy is very typical of Africa, you might find it hard to believe but very real where am from. I guess"Urban Rhapsody" will give readers free anthropology tuition.
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

This author must be a super story teller for you to give four stars despite the errors. Thank you for your sweet review.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

togormey wrote: 27 May 2018, 12:22 The story of Wholly Holy is very typical of Africa, you might find it hard to believe but very real where am from. I guess "Urban Rhapsody" will give readers free anthropology tuition.
Ha ha ha ha! Yeah, I guess so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow, that sounds like a well thought out, life smacks you in the face kind of book of stories. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Great review. This sounds like a really interesting collection of stories. I'm sure this doesn't cover everything, but it would be a good sampling of life in Urban areas. Thanks so much for the information. I'll have to look into this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I personally love when authors characterize their book with unique and pertinent language choices. I feel like following specific speech patterns is just another way to add detail without verbalizing each choice.

Thanks for this review, I think I would like this book!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This book seems incredibly interesting--the bit about dealing with witchcraft and curses definitely caught my attention! XD Jokes aside, this does seem like an insightful and thoughtful collection of stories that address real issues. It does seem a little gritty, but that's what gives it flavour, right?

Thank you for this thorough review--you were very detailed, and I'm really impressed by the 4-star rating you've given the book! :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I really like that you included definitions at the top. Even though I do know what those things mean, I think that adds interest to the review and engages readers from the start.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love your interpretation of the title.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The subject matter certainly sounds intriguing and I like books that evoke a wide range of emotions. Still, short story collections are not my cup of tea and I don't like graphic violence in books. I am sure others will enjoy this book, but I am going to take a pass.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”