Official Review: Pig Dog Creek by Kathleen Stockmier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Pig Dog Creek by Kathleen Stockmier

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pig Dog Creek" by Kathleen Stockmier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pig Dog Creek by Kathleen Stockmier has an intriguing title and book cover. However, if I were to judge the book by its cover, I would deem it a rather grey reading experience. What got me motivated to read this book were the many 5 stars ratings that it has accumulated on Amazon.com. After reading it, I can attest that this fantasy novel is a fantastic read.

The story is set in Cook, Tennessee, 1962. Our protagonist, Annie Louise Barton, is a 17-year-old mother of three. She has had a rough five years, after being forced to marry Robert Barton in 1957 so that her father can avoid going to prison for stealing from the Barton family. Two of her children may have been fathered by Robert’s stepdad, who has raped her many times. Annie and her children are the Barton family's slaves. She is not allowed to go anywhere. However, she sneaks off to Pig Dog Creek in the mornings to bathe and daydream about a better life. On one of these excursions to the creek, Annie has a supernatural encounter that changes the trajectory of her life completely.

This novel is composed of 31 titled chapters which span a little under 200 pages. There are virtually no grammatical errors, so I presume that it was professionally edited. Unfortunately, my pdf copy had a font size so small that I had to zoom in every time I turned the page (which was a very frequent occurrence). I was able to finish this book in a couple of hours not simply because of how short it is but because it is an amazing page-turner.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The author made all the characters come alive. I believe that everyone could relate to Annie. She is faced with tremendous oppositions but does not allow herself to become embittered by it. Her relationship with her children is simply beautiful. The Barton family is cruel but sadly there are many persons in real life that we can compare them to. Every character had a brief description that gave them depth. Also, the storyline was suspenseful, and I could not guess how the novel was going to end. Moreover, this is just book one in a series. The sequel, Pig Dog Diner, is available on Amazon.com and the author is working on the third installment of the series.

In conclusion, I rate Pig Dog Creek 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys fantasy novels.

Pig Dog Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

It sounds like the author did a good job with an intense story.

Thanks for a great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm picky about fantasy novels, but this sounds like a good one - thanks for the recommendation.
richsaint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by richsaint »

I developed goosebumps when I read "Annie Louise Barton, is a 17-year-old mother of three." It just paints a vivid picture of hard times and the fact that she got three kids in five years shows how strong she were however much challenges were present. I guess its a fantastic book and thanks for the great review
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Annie's backstory seemed intense and rape seems a bit disturbing. I'm not sure whether I would like this book because of this. Thanks for your review, it was short and to the point.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I feel puzzled by this book. What was this supernatural encounter? How did the harsh reality of Annie's existence transform into a fantasy novel? Your obvious enjoyment of the book encourages me to find out more. Thanks for the introduction!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This is a good review, well done! The book however, is just not my cup of tea.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

I am curious, and baffled at age 17, she has 3 children. Nice fantasy novel
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Edgeona wrote: 25 May 2018, 19:38 I am curious, and baffled at age 17, she has 3 children. Nice fantasy novel
During some periods in time - like when people only lived to be in their 30s - and even now in some cultures, girls got married in their early teens, so it was normal to have a few children by such an age.

But in regards to the book, I wouldn't normally read such a book, but your review made it quite intriguing, so I'll have to give it a spin as time allows. Thanks for the introduction!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love your second sentence. Very punny. The book sounds interesting too.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

dtb wrote: 25 May 2018, 11:28 It sounds like the author did a good job with an intense story.

Thanks for a great review.
Glad you liked it. The author did do a great job.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Libs_Books wrote: 25 May 2018, 12:08 I'm picky about fantasy novels, but this sounds like a good one - thanks for the recommendation.
No problem. if you ever get to read this, would love to hear your thoughts.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

richsaint wrote: 25 May 2018, 13:23 I developed goosebumps when I read "Annie Louise Barton, is a 17-year-old mother of three." It just paints a vivid picture of hard times and the fact that she got three kids in five years shows how strong she were however much challenges were present. I guess its a fantastic book and thanks for the great review
Appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Yes, I was glad that this was fiction to be honest because although it is a great story, I do wish we have nobody experience what Annie had to go through.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

KristyKhem wrote: 25 May 2018, 13:24 Annie's backstory seemed intense and rape seems a bit disturbing. I'm not sure whether I would like this book because of this. Thanks for your review, it was short and to the point.
Appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. There were a few rape descriptions that were disturbing to me but fortunately, it wasn't too graphic.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

stacie k wrote: 25 May 2018, 13:39 I feel puzzled by this book. What was this supernatural encounter? How did the harsh reality of Annie's existence transform into a fantasy novel? Your obvious enjoyment of the book encourages me to find out more. Thanks for the introduction!
I do try not to give any spoilers in my review. It is especially hard with this book because the story is one that makes you want to share it with someone else. If you ever do read it would love to hear your thoughts.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”