Review by MaryEllen223 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chic...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
MaryEllen223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryellen223.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review by MaryEllen223 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chic...

Post by MaryEllen223 » 23 May 2018, 14:29

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and the Chico Kid

Gary Robinson

Copyright@2018

The author, Gary Robinson, who has written many books, including his most popular book "Powerful Medicine", really has done his genre proud. In writing this realistic fiction book, he has brought the reader from sidewalk show of the sword swallower Duke Reynolds to a friendship with the Chico KId Gary Robinson. The author has shown also that two completely different people can have life-changing adventures together.

The author's intense writing ability kept me reading more and more pages. It grabbed my attention at every corner, the descriptions were even to where you could see what the circus performers looked like. The struggles that Duke went through as a tattooed man was just like real life. I found that the wisdom of the Ink Man to be very interesting when he stated that "In 1967, tattooing was typically for sailors, criminals, and the few brave souls who had the courage to withstand the social stigma". In Duke's life the stigma was certain. He was tattooed from head to toe. As for reading farther into the book, each chapter had many new things to imagine; but as for feelings, it was a roller-coaster ride of emotions all the way throughout the book.

I have never read a book like this so far that builds up a person's curiosity as has this author. In reading this book, the wonder in what would happen next excited me. It kept my attention and in no way disappointed me in describing what things looked like-the scenery, the audience and their feelings about the show with the sword swallowing, and the emotions of duke as to life in general, and death. Duke's attempt to teach the Chico Kid to "live life always" and their adventures made me think of life in general, that it is too short to waste.

I RATE THIS BOOK 4 OUT OF 4. This rating I gae because the book filled me with good times and bad times of each character. It kept me captivated and eager to read what was happening next. It was enlightening to me about the circus life family, the trials in life that each character had to face, and their feelings about friendship,, and how Duke lived his life until his death. I think this book would be read by anyone of any age. The cover is inviting to look into the book, just to get a glimpse of how the story is written.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MaryEllen223's review? Post a comment saying so!

P Reefer
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 212
Currently Reading: Will on the Hill
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by P Reefer » 27 May 2018, 21:46

I disagree that this book should be read by anyone of any age as there is the considerable use of obscene language in this book and adult themes of drugs and sex.

coricampagna
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by coricampagna » 05 Jun 2018, 13:59

MaryEllen223
I completely agree with how you feel about this book. I really did enjoy reading The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid and too feel like I was able to imagine what was going on, and how the characters looked.

coricampagna
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by coricampagna » 12 Jun 2018, 14:43

Bookmermaid wrote:
27 May 2018, 21:46
I disagree that this book should be read by anyone of any age as there is the considerable use of obscene language in this book and adult themes of drugs and sex.
I do agree that this book should be only for mature audiences, because of the obscene language and adult content.

Morgan Jones
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Of Free Will And Providence by Chip Byers

Post by Morgan Jones » 10 Jul 2018, 19:30

I absolutely loved this review! You made me eager to grab my own copy because of how you portrayed the story and its touching messages. Thank you!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”