Official Review: What the Hand by Todd Stockwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: What the Hand by Todd Stockwell

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What the Hand" by Todd Stockwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first saw the title for What the Hand by Todd Stockwell, I wondered, "What the heck?!" The title actually comes from the poem, The Tyger, by William Blake. The poem reads in part, "On what wings dare he aspire? What the hand, dare seize the fire?" and is a fitting introduction to this book. The poem ponders the creation of such a magnificent creature, while this tome explores the fictional account of George Somerset as he experiences life both before and after The Rapture (which the author also capitalizes along with other places and phrases I capitalize, following his example). The tie-in may not be immediately evident, but it's definitely there.

George currently lives in a little shack on the New Earth, having gained entrance to the new world "by a spider hair". As we progress through the book, we find out where George was when The Rapture happened and what he thought about it. We also learn about the kind of individual he was before he barely made it into Paradise and how he survived during The Tribulation. I will note that the author tends to jump around the timeline a lot, which may confuse some, but I never lost where I was in the story.

I really really liked George because he is decidedly not the kind of individual that you'd imagine would pass through the pearly gates, thereby giving the rest of us hope. George lied. He cheated. He indulged way too much in alcohol and other vices. He was a terrible husband and father and was only ever out for himself. George was us. Yet, like the rest of us, he also had redeeming qualities, including a wry wit, which I really loved. George was a wonderful narrator, who spoke like your average "every-man", thereby making me feel relaxed during the read. While he would sometimes go overboard in telling about certain aspects of his life - for instance, he spent way too much time talking about his days as a loan originator - I also really appreciated having such a well fleshed-out character. I think the only thing I don't know about Mr. Somerset is whether he wore boxers or briefs!

Along the way, George met up with a group of other people, including Danielle "Danny" Knowles and her son, Roger, whom he likened as Dorothy and Toto (but not in a derogatory way). Accompanying Danny and Roger were Joe Mellon, Billy Sanchez, Howard Frost, Albert "Speckle", and sisters Ida and Eva. Continuing with the Wizard of Oz motif, George introduced these eventual friends and comrades as the Tinman, the Lion, and the Scarecrow, somewhat respectively. This group saw each other through much of the Tribulation period. Also in George's circle were his ex-wife, Renee, and his daughter, Sophie, not to mention his former friend and co-conspirator, Justin Lister. Each of these characters played an integral role in George's descent or ascent, depending on how they functioned, and I loved reading about his relationships with each party. Each of these characters was written well and given a decent enough backstory that I never had to wonder who I was reading about at any given moment.

As much as I liked the characterizations in this book, what I loved most was George's recounting of history. Using information gained in The Hall of Knowledge - a "giant library the size of ten or twelve Walmarts", wherein anyone on the New Earth could look up anything they've always wanted to know - George let us all in on the real deal concerning events such as the building of the Great Pyramids and the visitation of aliens in addition to the truth about Bigfoot and Jimmy Hoffa. I thought the author did a superb job of blending actual historical events with fictional accounts of how they happened. For instance, I think I can safely say that we've all heard of the Illuminati. According to The Hall of Knowledge, the Illuminati is really a group of demons and demon offspring hell-bent (no pun intended) on leading man to death and destruction. They use susceptible humans to meet their goals. This is just one example of real world things we wonder about that are given a possible explanation. I used this example in particular because the Illuminati is mentioned throughout the book as being behind many tragedies and also as the reason many things are the way they are in terms of government, for instance. The icing on the cake for me was this line, written on page 165: "No kidding, I couldn’t make this stuff up. " That pretty much sums up Mr. Stockwell's use of tongue-in-cheek humor.

I am aware that with a book of this nature, one may worry that it's "preachy". While I don't know that I'd go so far as to use that term, I will confirm that it's written from the side of Christianity. That is, George DOES believe in God, and he DOES confirm much of what is written in Revelations. He also confirms what's written in the Bible about Jesus and debunks certain myths, like those espoused in the movie, The DaVinci Code. Still, it's written in more of a conversational tone than a sermonizing one, so it's really up to any individual to determine how much they can take of such a book. For my part, I was able to keep obviously fictional stuff in its box yet appreciate Mr. Stockwell's view on real things as it pertains to one's spiritual walk. Even though this book is listed as "black comedy", it really made me think about the path I'm taking insofar as my walk with God.

As much as I loved this book, I do have to acknowledge that it needs another go-over in terms of editing. While the mistakes aren't egregious and don't take away from the reading enjoyment, they are evident. Most of the errors are due to punctuation missteps, but there are also a few instances of minor word misuse such as "altogether" versus "all together" and "onto" versus "on to". I was also a little irritated with inconsistencies in capitalization. For instance, Heaven and New Kingdom were often not capitalized while Old Earth, New Earth, and New Jerusalem always were.

With all things considered, I have to give What the Hand 3 out of 4 stars, and that's only because of the grammatical errors noted above. In terms of content, I thought it was at least a four-plus. I very highly recommend this book for Christians and open-minded believers of other faiths as well as readers who love fictional accounts of known and unknown history, especially as it pertains to the Bible; if you've ever read Revelations and wondered "What the heck", then What the Hand is for you. Please note: This book also contains graphic content, so please weigh that before giving it a read.

What the Hand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Heh. This sounds like a sort of funny and relatable book. I don't know that I'll read it, Christian end-times fiction tends to annoy me for some reason, but I have some friends who enjoy it that I'll recommend this to. Thanks for your review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review! The title and cover made we want to read your review and your description of the Hall of Knowledge sealed it for me - this book is going on my "want to read" list. I'm eager to read the theories in the book regarding mysterious historical creatures and events. (And I honestly hope God will answer my numerous questions about things of that nature when I meet Him.) Thanks for the heads-up about the editing and graphic content, but in this case, I think I'll be overlooking those aspects because it sounds like a great read.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

haleygerstenberg wrote: 22 May 2018, 12:51 Heh. This sounds like a sort of funny and relatable book. I don't know that I'll read it, Christian end-times fiction tends to annoy me for some reason, but I have some friends who enjoy it that I'll recommend this to. Thanks for your review.
I totally understand that not every book is everyone's cup of tea, but thanks for passing it on to those who may enjoy it!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

SamSim wrote: 22 May 2018, 14:20 Great review! The title and cover made we want to read your review and your description of the Hall of Knowledge sealed it for me - this book is going on my "want to read" list. I'm eager to read the theories in the book regarding mysterious historical creatures and events. (And I honestly hope God will answer my numerous questions about things of that nature when I meet Him.) Thanks for the heads-up about the editing and graphic content, but in this case, I think I'll be overlooking those aspects because it sounds like a great read.
I don't know that it'll be on my mind then, but I'd certainly like to compare the author's explanations with the real ones and see if he got any even close to right! It's fun to imagine some things, though!
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

it sounds like the author did a good job in fleshing out the character. Nice review, but I don't think I would want to read this book because of the bad character of the protagonist.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

haleygerstenberg wrote: 22 May 2018, 12:51 Heh. This sounds like a sort of funny and relatable book. I don't know that I'll read it, Christian end-times fiction tends to annoy me for some reason, but I have some friends who enjoy it that I'll recommend this to. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for the comprehensive review! However, like haleygerstenberg, I'm not sure if this will be my cup of tea, but I do have some friends that I will recommend this to.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds amazing. This sounds like a bit different take on the tribulation and the rapture. I'm going to have to look into this one. It's almost like the Left Behind series, but different. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 May 2018, 08:03 Wow! This sounds amazing. This sounds like a bit different take on the tribulation and the rapture. I'm going to have to look into this one. It's almost like the Left Behind series, but different. Thanks!
Y'know, I've always wanted to read/watch the Left Behind series, but have just never made the time. Thanks for both the reminder and your comment; this' been one of my fave books since I joined 10 months ago.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

That's funny. I don't like end-times literature either. I did at a teen, but now I just leave that stuff in the future and live my life today.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow MsTri you’ve really captured my attention with this one! I’ve never really read anything portraying the rapture in this way. I’m interested in this, I plan on looking into it! Thanks lady!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

That sounds like a really interesting book with lots of facets to it. Thank you for the review, I enjoyed it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
smartboy
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by smartboy »

christian end time story quite intresting,makes me want to read ,however the tittle reali dont fit the story nice review.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

:lol: We had the first reaction about the title.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I'd love to read this book. Dream Vision genres focusing on God are fascinating to me, especially since the Bible has so many itself.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”