Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Post by Camille Turner »

Vickie Noel wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:57 One, I love the rich color of the book, it seems capable of conveying the emotions embedded in the book. Two, for the fact that the title has a hidden, special meaning, I know I won't rest until I fish it out. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
It's definitely a book worth reading! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:03 This is an amazing review! I really like that this book explores so many perspectives, such as the adoptive mother's insecurities and Sya's sibling's guilt in knowing that their sister was abandoned. This book seems like it would bring a lot of awareness to China's one-child policy. It's always very important to know and learn about the different kinds of cultures and laws in other countries.
Thank you so much! The book is truly a wonderful read. Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

cindyr2416 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:12 This review has certainly caught my attention. The fact that this is something that actually takes place in China everyday where families are forced to have one child and the choices of what to do if they have more than one makes it an eye opener for those that are unaware. The mere thought of going through this situation being it either side is terrifying. I’m looking forward to reading about Sya’s journey.
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did! It is certainly worth the read. Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:15 I do not know how Five Knocks came about. China must be such a country that requires more discovering. I have yet to read the novel. As matters stand, with the fine review, my interest is piqued to read the book. Thank you for sharing.
It's definitely worth the read! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

itslauren wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:25 You make this book sound like a work of art, I'm shocked and extremely intrigued. It's a storyline that I don't usually hear about these days, so it's refreshing to see something like this. Putting it in my shelf right now!!
It's definitely a unique read well worth the time! Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Espie wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:33 The first pages of this book's sampling had been quite intriguing and gripping. The scenario of two persons who may be power brokers but are not heads of their countries making a decision and influencing the policies of their respective nations and affecting the fate of countless lives is quite unthinkable. I just wonder how much of the book is really based on reality.

Your review is as compelling as how the book initially seemed to me. You've just made it seem more interesting and thought-provoking enough to really make it to my Want to Read list. Thank you.
It really is a fascinating story! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Kibetious wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:09 This is a very nice review of the book. Thanks for it. What I like about the book is that it can be a quick read. The unpredictable events is another intriguing aspect of it too. I would like to read a book whose outcome is not known an is hard to tell the following events as you read on. This is one of them.
Thank you! The book is definitely worth checking out, and you're right, it's a quick read. Thanks for commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Shrabastee wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:24 Wow! The contents of the book are no doubt very sensitive, but your review itself moved me. It shows how strongly you feel about the book. I found the content disturbing yet alarming, especially since in many areas of my country female foeticide, child abuse and abandonmemt of girl children are still so prevalent. I do want to read this account of the Chinese girl who tries to trace back her roots. Thanks for the review.
Thank you! I did really enjoy it, and I'm a sucker for novels that go for tough subjects despite the difficulty in discussing them. I hope you get a chance to read this one. Thanks for your comment!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:26 The story is really a touching read with a unique and pours light on the aftermath of one child policy. I think now China has abandoned it's one child policy. Thanks for review.
It truly is a moving history and an important book. I believe so as well...I think it's a two-child policy now, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for your comment!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Hannah_Vibbert wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:39 Thank you for your in-depth review. I downloaded the book today and after the first few chapters I had yet to decide how I felt about the story, but your review has made it clear that I definitely need to continue reading. I've never been a huge fan of historical fiction but I'm very interested in learning more about the one-child policy from the perspective of the child not chosen.
I hope you ended up enjoying it as you kept reading! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

moddesser1 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:44 I sampled the book on Amazon. I found the writing style very compelling. The events and characters had sensitive impact on me. I could feel for the lead character Sya. The review has further clarified the kind of read it would be - thought provoking and interesting. :) :)
I hope you enjoy the rest of the book! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

cristinaro wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 00:50 I know how important and how difficult it is to tell stories that recuperate a discomforting truth. China's one-child policy has given birth to many debates and controversies. Sya's story reflects the unknown and heart-warming side of the issue. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Well said! Sya's story brings so much to the discussion of this policy. Thank you for commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

dragonet07 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 01:01 This book sounds incredibly emotional, and I'm glad that it covers such a tragic topic that is talked about so little. I'm most intrigued to see how Sya's relationships are affected. Thank you for the thorough and helpful review.
It truly is worth the read! Thank you for your comment. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

truebookaddict wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 01:05 I was immediately drawn to this book because of the cover. Upon reading the synopsis, I knew it was a book I wanted to read. I have always thought the One-Child policy was inhumane so I know reading about it in this book will be difficult, but also informative. It sounds like the author has done her research. Your excellent review makes me want to read it even more. Thank you!
The cover is spectacular, isn't it! The book is well worth the read, and I hope you enjoy it if you do read it. Thanks for your comment! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Sisou wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 01:07 Your review is very convincing. The book sounds like a powerful tale about the failings of the one-child policy, sexism and the complexities of international adoption. Thank you for a great review
Thank you! It truly is, and it's well worth the read. Thanks for your comment. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”