Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Post by Camille Turner »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 20:27 I had mixed feelings about reading this book in spite of the fact that a suspense book calls my attention to read. After reading your review, which I thank you for, I must read this book. You said a lot without giving too much away. I am intrigued by what you didn't say that I must find out about. Great detail to character, plot, and the setting is what I appreciated about your summary and take about this book. I am also glad that you included information about how the author came up with this story, without giving us detail It's ok, your purpose succeeded, in drawing me in and wanting more.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am glad you enjoyed my review, and I hope you like the book as much as I did. It's well worth the read. :) Thanks for commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

starshipsaga wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 20:32 This is a story that touches me on a very deep level, having lived in China and seen the one-child policy in actioin and the awful consequences. Your review is very intriguing and does a good job enticing a potential reader to pick it up. I'm curious to know what the title means!
Thanks! Wow, I bet the book will certainly resonate with you based on your experience living in China. Ah, the title...so interesting! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

JM Hill wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:10 Thank you for your review. It was comprehensive and thorough. Thank you also for leaving out any "surprises" or spoilers. I enjoyed reading your review but probably won't be reading the book.
Thank you so much! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

CrescentMoon wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:24 This definitely sounds like a poignant and emotional as well as enlightening read. I'm glad I read your review first to decide not to read the public blurb as I do like to be surprised. Great and thorough review!
Thank you! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kate_nguyen wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:29 The book's cover and name caught my eyes immediately, after reading the review about Five Knocks, I am so happy that it's free today. I love a phenomenal story with historical significance, thanks for the review!
Enjoy the book! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Miss_BeckyG wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:37 Sya's story is certainly an eye opening glimpse into the Chinese one child policy and its implications. The review got me riled to read the book to its gripping end. It was worth the turn of every page...
I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ladycraic wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:42 Thanks for the thoughtful review and the heads up on the public description! :D This seems like an informative and compelling read :)
It was certainly a great book. Thank you for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

juliecsa wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:46 Wow, I was already intrigued by the cover and title of the book before even knowing what it was about, but this review has made me realize that I definitely want to read the book!! I like that you left some mystery in the review, and it makes me want to find out what it is.
Thanks! It is definitely worth the read. :) Thanks for commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

TheTrueNyree wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:08 Great review!! This story does sound like one worth reading. Full of emotion and determination. I have heard of some parents in China forced to give up a child because they are only allowed one based on where they live and their income. So rather than aborting their child they hid it and secretly found some Americans to adopt her. And then twenty years later the girl went to meet biological parents. It was a sad but happy ending. So I am interested in find out what's happens in this story. Plus I know it will probably be a tear jerker.
Thanks! The stories of people affected by this policy are truly so very moving.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Janet Bragg wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 21:47 Historical fiction is perhaps my favorite genre because I can learn about real-life events while following a realistic fictional plot. The review of Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa compels me to read this story. As a teacher, I am always looking for books that elicit discussions; books which elicit connections to events in their own lives, events happening in the world, or other literature. This book seems to be a selection which would allow for lively discussions. I believe it would probably be appropriate for middle-high school students or adults.
I love historical fiction as well, and I think this is a great book to elicit a discussion among your students! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

jennyd2003 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:11 Good review. Seems like a more in depth look at why they adopted the one child policy and how it affected families. I am from a family of seven and have five of my own. I can't imagine having to choose which one to keep or having had no siblings.
Thanks. I can't imagine either!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

klwoodford wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:22 This sounds like such an eye-opening story. I feel like it is easy to forget about or overlook the tragedies and hardships others face, but this book is a good reminder of some. Thank you for the very telling review.
I completely agree with you! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

JHuschle519 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:30 I'll admit that this is not the type of book I usually enjoy. When I downloaded it, I was fully expecting to read one or two chapters, and then probably never look at it again. I will now also admit that I was completely wrong! I agree wholeheartedly with your review. I'm currently about a third of the way into the book, and I dont want to put it down. It has actually prompted me to look into the one-child policy, which I have always heard about but never paid too much attention to, so that I can better educate myself. Thank you for such a well written review!
I'm so glad you like the book as much as I do!! Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ellieonline03 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:31 Interesting title. Sya's adoption alone already shows how many people are affected by it. I liked that it also included those complications in the story. Thank you for your review!
It truly is a great read! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ccrews0408 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:56 Great review!! This is definitely a heavy subject that should be addressed. I don't know much about the one child policy but I'm glad there are books out there to make us aware.
Thanks! I agree with you that the topic should certainly be addressed, and I think this book did a wonderful job of it. Thanks for commenting! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”