Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Post by Camille Turner »

teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2018, 17:04 The one child policy was such a tragic era and even the Chinese regret it now.
You're absolutely right. It's so horrible to imagine having to go through something like that and to consider all the lives it has affected.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

MsTri wrote: 21 May 2018, 18:03 While I don't know that I would have wanted to read this based on its synopsis alone, I'm very impressed with your review and think that I may give it a try. You make it sound very intriguing and mysterious; I got goosebumps just reading some of your review, so major kudos to you for being so persuasive! Thanks a lot; I really hope I can find the time to read this soon.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope you get to read it soon as well and that you enjoy it as I did. It's quite a powerful subject. Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Fuzzy456 wrote: 22 May 2018, 22:10 This sounds like a great book. Your review was very heartfelt and makes me want to read it. The interesting thing is that there is a historical truth behind it which makes the story even more compelling. This is a definite addition to my “want to read” shelf! Thanks so much
Absolutely, it's so moving because it's based on such real and tragic events. Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to comment! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did when you get a chance to read it. :)
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I love reading stuff like this. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this review. Now it's going to be on my to be read list.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I just finished reading a book centered around adoption. This one sounds like it would bring to light even more perspectives. The fact that it is based on truth makes it both compelling and sickening. I would like to read this book. Thank you for your well-done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I love your reviews! Everything about this book screams out for me to read it. I like the idea of understanding how a single event affects so many people in such unique ways, as I feel that, in a nutshell, is how life works. I will definitely look into this book.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like an amazing story and one that would touch me deeply. My own kids are adopted, and I know I could relate to Sya's mother when it comes to insecurities about their birth family. That’s even with meeting my kids' birth family! This one is definitely going into my “want to read” list. Thank you for such an insightful review.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Laura Del wrote: 23 May 2018, 14:14 I love reading stuff like this. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this review. Now it's going to be on my to be read list.
Thank you; I hope you enjoy it! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

stacie k wrote: 23 May 2018, 19:24 I just finished reading a book centered around adoption. This one sounds like it would bring to light even more perspectives. The fact that it is based on truth makes it both compelling and sickening. I would like to read this book. Thank you for your well-done review!
I bet this would compliment your last reading then! Ugh, you're so right -- I cannot believe these sorts of laws have really been in existence.

Thanks for commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

SABRADLEY wrote: 23 May 2018, 23:05 I love your reviews! Everything about this book screams out for me to read it. I like the idea of understanding how a single event affects so many people in such unique ways, as I feel that, in a nutshell, is how life works. I will definitely look into this book.
Thank you so much! I think you're right, and the book definitely deals with that concept. Thanks for your comment! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 24 May 2018, 06:54 This sounds like an amazing story and one that would touch me deeply. My own kids are adopted, and I know I could relate to Sya's mother when it comes to insecurities about their birth family. That’s even with meeting my kids' birth family! This one is definitely going into my “want to read” list. Thank you for such an insightful review.
Thank you for sharing about your own family; I'm certain you'd relate to Sya's mother too. I found her character very moving because Sya thinks she can be harsh at times but as a reader, I really felt for her and think I'd struggle with the exact same feelings. She's trying to cope with her own emotions while trying to do what's best for Sya even if others (including Sya) don't always see that, and it's quite touching. I hope you enjoy the book when you get a chance to read it. Thank you for commenting! :)
Meepo323
Currently Reading: After They Go
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meepo323.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meepo323 »

Your review caught my attention. Going to start reading it now!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Meepo323 wrote: 25 May 2018, 21:51 Your review caught my attention. Going to start reading it now!
Great! I hope you like it. Thanks for commenting! :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book takes on a very difficult topic, as you say. Your review makes it look like the author did a good job,though. Great review!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kdstrack wrote: 28 May 2018, 22:25 This book takes on a very difficult topic, as you say. Your review makes it look like the author did a good job,though. Great review!
Thanks for commenting! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”