Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa

Post by Dael Reader »

Thanks for your compelling review. I'm definitely going to put this one on my to-read list. I know a few people who adopted children from China, so I'm curious to see the adoption story told from the perspective of the adopted child.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Dael Reader wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 15:13 Thanks for your compelling review. I'm definitely going to put this one on my to-read list. I know a few people who adopted children from China, so I'm curious to see the adoption story told from the perspective of the adopted child.
I'm sure it will be an interesting story for you, especially since you know parents who have adopted from China and so already have some real-life experiences to which to relate the book. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for commenting. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story about a young Chinese girl who was abandoned by her birth parents due to the one child policy sounds interesting, albeit too intense for me. It is good that the author focuses on the evil of both one-child policy and sexism. This policy is inhuman, and the treatment of girls is outrageous. That the book is easy to follow despite the difficult subject is a bonus. Not sure it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing drama on adoption and the urge to find one's blood parents. The protagonist was inspirational and I loved the inciteful onlinebookclub review. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Thank you for your review. I do remember hearing something about China and the one baby rule but I didn't give it much thought. I didn't think about what if they had more than one child. This book will be one I intend to read.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Wonderful review. A drama on the one-child rule in China and adoption sounds intense. A girl searching for her biological parents finds out scary things about her past. Congrats on being BOTD and thanks for making it free.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Your review convinced me to give this a try. I was on the fence, but your enjoyment of the book made me want to know what happens. I'm especially interested in where the title comes from now. Thanks for a great review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
virgie08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by virgie08 »

I've read articles about one-child policy and all the other wrong doings from this tradition of China but this review gave me sometihing that makes me wanna read the first words up to the last. We'll i guess if it's not for the review i think i might not give it a try. Thanks for being persuasive!
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This is clearly a very powerful and interesting book. Thank you for taking the time to review it in depth! I can really feel how passionately you feel towards this book and it makes me want to read it immediately.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This book sounds incredible. I’ve heard some about the one child policy and it was horrifying with just a bit of information. Also the hints at mystery such as the meaning of the book’s title really got me. My interest is totally peaked and this is going to the top of my TBR. Congrats to the author on a spectacular review! Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The review is very intriguing, with enough teasers that make the book lovers to get a hold of this book and experience the drama enfolding between the pages. Happy reading to us!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am impressed by your thorough and moving review. I anticipate it to be an emotionally-charged read, dealing with such a thorny issue in all due honesty and grace. Five Knocks by Donna Vincent Roa is a book to remember. Thanks for your insight.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

With our freedom in America to have as many children as we want, I think we forget that this policy in China exists limiting their families and leaving baby girls abandoned or killed. Such a very sad subject, but it sounds like the author did a great job constructing this novel to expose the truth of this political nightmare that hurts so many people. I cannot imagine living in that environment. Great job on this. I’m still pondering reading it as I have so many to read right now, but it sounds worth my time.
Everything happens for a reason...
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Books that have any form of sexism portrayed in them generally put me off. However, I think the story line is captivating and that your review is very well written.
Stanley Ann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley-ann.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Stanley Ann »

I do love reading biographies and non-fictional stories very much and so I think I will it a try.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”