Official Review: Surrender Language by Nina Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: Surrender Language by Nina Wilson

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surrender Language" by Nina Wilson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“My name is not Mr. Dude. It is not Prof Dude, glasses guy, or even Neal. It is Dr Neal Basilla. I am not your buddy. My job is not to listen to how accurate you think the movie Platoon or Hanoi Hilton is,” Which always seemed to happen once the word ‘Vietnam’ or ‘vet’ came up, especially at the same time and referring to me.

Surrender Language by Nina Wilson is an experimental work that brings together two different and unconventional Bildungsroman stories. The first story is of Dr Neal Basilla, a history professor who is trying to cope with Parkinson’s disease as well as the death of his wife. He finds himself completely alone, having to grapple with “his past memories and thoughts of his dwindling future”. The narrative traces his emotional growth and struggle for survival. The second narrative is of Denny Helming, a senior in college. He is about to graduate and “enter the ‘real world’”. He notices the struggles of Dr Basilla and extends his friendship. While both of them have starkly different lives, they do have one thing in common. Both of them are no strangers to pain. Denny helps Dr Basilla embrace the inevitability of this pain as well as his past.

This book starts “in medias res” (in the middle of things) and hence the reader might feel lost due to the unusual beginning of the story. However, the author soon gives context to the reader in the first few paragraphs. I felt that the beginning of the story was certainly not its strength, but the author did add structure in the later chapters of the book.

The plot of the story is quite realistic and the reader finds herself relating to the characters within this narrative, but the dialogues sometimes seem a bit superficial. I loved the concept behind this novel, and I feel that these are themes that need to be explored more in novels. The narrative invokes empathy due to how it is written, but sometimes there is a disconnect in the novel that can be a bit off-putting.

I felt like the characterisation of the novel wasn’t that great either. The author could have done a better job of creating dynamic characters to add to the intensity of the novel. However, I do love the protagonist of the novel. I certainly felt that he exuded enigma.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of a number of reasons. I feel that the plot, as well as the characterisation in this novel, could’ve been stronger. The narrative was fragmented at certain points, which would make the reader lose interest, but I still suggest this book to adults who love coming-of-age narratives.

Surrender Language
View: on Bookshelves

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
MrPoppers14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MrPoppers14 »

This book reminds me of many things. In a sense of mind makes me wonder what my favorite type of genre of books I like to read. The plot is interesting to my taste of mind, I like how the beginning is very intrigue with different outcomes and what is to come in the whole story.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice review there. I hope that the errors will be corrected. It seems that the struggle Denny has to deal with is challenging. The decision to help the Dr was good. The book title is very captivating. I expected something else but the story is still good.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

This is an honest and thorough review. The friendship between Denny and Dr. Bastille seems interesting. The disconnect mentioned sounds like it may be annoying to the flow of the novel. Thanks for a great review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your honest review. In the summary, the plot sounds interesting, therefore I am sorry to know that it was not properly developed.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. The plot sounds interesting enough to get my attention but what a pity it did not develop enough.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The two main characters and their friendship sound so interesting to me. I'm disappointed to hear that they weren't developed very well. Thanks for your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”