Official Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Official Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 14 May 2018, 12:24

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fountain Found" by Allen Broderick.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Madelyn Cooper is a scientist that has been working on a technology that will change the world. She has invented a nanotechnology that will heal most every disease, but that's not all it will do. It can also turn the clock back on aging. How will this new development change the world? Will Madelyn be able to keep this technology from falling into the wrong hands?

Fountain Found by Allen Broderick is a science fiction novel with around 450 pages. Nanotechnology is a popular concept in the sci-fi genre. While the concepts discussed in the novel aren't new, Mr. Broderick does put his own spin on the story and explores the ramifications of curing disease and finding the fountain of youth.

I enjoyed the characters that we were introduced to in the novel. Madelyn is a genius and yet very approachable. Her goals are noble, and it's cute to see that she hasn't really thought through how much her technology will affect the world. It's interesting to see who she brings into her confidence to help her develop this for mass production as well. She even considers people that actually exist in the world such as Bill Gates among others.

I also thought that the author did a great job with the technology side of the book. It was clearly well researched which makes it come across as more believable. Sadly, I thought that there was an overabundance of technological terms. In addition, there is quite a bit of repetition included. There are only so many times I want to hear about the exact process that occurs.

Another drawback was the instances in which the author interrupts the story to talk to the audience. The majority of the story is told in third person. However, there were times that a narrator personality interrupts the story to talk directly to the audience in second person. This was unnecessary and very disruptive to the flow of the plot.

The last thing that is always worth mentioning is the fact that this book does not seem to be professionally edited. Most of the errors were along the lines of missing words or homophones used or just plain typos. They were not overly plentiful or annoying but present enough to wish for a better proofreader.

Overall, there was much about Fountain Found that I enjoyed. But, I truly believe that this story could have been greatly cut down in length by a skilled editor with the story still intact. It's for that reason that I give the book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who love overly detailed explanations of scientific technological advances.

Fountain Found
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The House Beneath the Damen Off Ramp by Wiliam Claypool
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 17 May 2018, 02:19

I enjoyed the futuristic medical advancements in the books of Michael Crichton and Robin Cook. While both doctors, the two celebrated authors were able to present their books without too much technical gobbledygook. Maybe Mr. Broderick can learn the art of simplification from these two masters.

On the other hand, good editing is a must for all books, technical or otherwise.

Thanks for the objective review, Kandscreeley!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 17 May 2018, 07:30

Thanks @Miriam Molina! He's got the skeleton of a good book, but he definitely needs to work a bit on what to leave in and what to take out.
― Ernest Hemingway

Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Ginnamassa19 » 17 May 2018, 08:47

Oh dear. The premise was so promising, but the writing flaws you pointed out (e.g. the unnecessary insertion of a narrator and the overuse of technical terms) have made me more cautious about picking this book up.

Thank you for writing this review--your analysis was very thoughtful! :)

SABRADLEY
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabradley.html
Latest Review: White Witch by Larry D. Thompson

Post by SABRADLEY » 17 May 2018, 13:19

I think I would be most turned off by the narrator interruptions! I can't stand that in movies or t.v. shows, and I know I wouldn't enjoy them in a book like this. At least the character was likeable! Thanks for a great review!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by teacherjh » 17 May 2018, 14:24

The premise sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'm up to all the science.

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: 1066 What Fates Impose by G K Holloway

Post by kislany » 17 May 2018, 14:30

Pity about the problems because the story certainly sounds interesting to me.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 17 May 2018, 15:39

Thanks @Ginnamassa19 I think this book could be good with a bit more conciseness.

I appreciate your comments @SABRADLEY - I really think this could be improved with a bit of work.

Thanks @teacherjh and @kislany
― Ernest Hemingway

sanjus
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 18 May 2018, 11:40

Too much technical terms some times pass over the head for most. Moreover if there is some good spice in the plot by not making it too obvious for the reader to guess between possible and impossible then it would have been little worth. Thanks for giving insight

bookowlie
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by bookowlie » 18 May 2018, 12:40

Thanks for another insightful review! I can definitely see how the author interrupting the story to talk to the reader would disrupt the flow. Also, homophones are a big pet peeve of mine. I think a professional, adult writer should be able to understand how to spell words that sound alike yet have a different meaning. Otherwise, they should enlist the services of a good editor!
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

NL Hartje
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 123
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Frog Hotel by Susan Bryant

Post by NL Hartje » Yesterday, 14:41

kandscreeley wrote:
14 May 2018, 12:24
Sadly, I thought that there was an overabundance of technological terms. In addition, there is quite a bit of repetition included. There are only so many times I want to hear about the exact process that occurs.

Another drawback was the instances in which the author interrupts the story to talk to the audience. The majority of the story is told in third person. However, there were times that a narrator personality interrupts the story to talk directly to the audience in second person. This was unnecessary and very disruptive to the flow of the plot.
Both of these examples strike me as ways to increase word count. I'm not suggesting that was the author's intent. Likely, they thought audiences were too naive to understand the ideas after only one telling or perhaps we needed to be talked (down) to directly in order to come in at the author's level. Either way, I feel both are condescending inclusions. Thank you for so thoroughly describing what actually happens within the pages.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Post by gen_g » Yesterday, 21:20

Thank you for your detailed review! This might not be the book for me, especially about the errors you mentioned. I'm not so sure about the narrator interruptions, but it seems that it has disrupted the flow of the story.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”