Official Review: Mercy by Rebecca Chianese

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Official Review: Mercy by Rebecca Chianese

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mercy" by Rebecca Chianese.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mercy by Rebecca Chianese is a story about a 49-year-old woman who has just gone through a divorce. As Carly navigates these waters, she meets Michael, to whom she has a strong attraction, deals with her own grown children’s response to the divorce, and goes on a journey of her own childhood memories. Carly had grown up with a father who was constantly coming and going. He was a rising country music star but left Carly’s mom for another woman. As different as Carly’s adult life is from the one her mother lived, Carly is surprised to find her own marriage ending in divorce just as her mother’s had. As Carly struggles to process her past, her divorce, and the possibility of a new man in her life, she begins to paint again, finding an outlet to express the many emotions rushing through her. As she paints poignant scenes from her past, Carly’s finds a way to begin a journey to her present, a new present with a new man and a new acceptance of her problematic family.

Some of my favorite parts in this book are the descriptions of Carly trying to get the mix of her paint colors just right. I appreciated the work and intensity the character put into her creativity.

The tone of Carly’s narration throughout the book is one of wry humor, similar to what I’ve read in some “chick lit” genres. It works well with the story, especially since much of the book has either a sad or serious nature. The humor made the book palatable in my opinion. It certainly kept it from becoming a crying fest or a dark, depressing drama. The author did a good job in keeping a balance. This balance allowed me to focus on Carly’s history as, piece by piece, it is revealed and connected to her current situation.

I did find some minor spelling and punctuation mistakes, but overall, I would say the book was edited well.

If I had to choose something I didn’t like about the book, it would be the description of how Carly’s childhood memories were triggered. The fact of a smell or a physical sensation triggering a memory makes sense. It is the transition from her present day life to the childhood memory that felt a bit clunky. Each time I was pulled momentarily out of the story.

In spite of these awkward transitions, I still highly recommend this book. It was enjoyable to read. I especially liked following Carly’s childhood story and getting to know her more deeply that way. I also enjoyed the ending. While the story comes to a firm conclusion, I couldn’t help wishing there was a sequel so I could follow these characters a while longer.

I would recommend Mercy for readers who like some real life situations, such as dealing with divorce or the reappearance of an absent father, mixed in with their women’s fiction. I found the real life elements refreshing and realistic without being downers. I also found Carly’s new romance to have that same touch of realism. While there are some fairy tale moments (of romance, and a few modestly steamy scenes!) there is also a realness about Carly’s fear to accept Michael. I appreciated the way their relationship had the same turbulence that any real relationship would have.

Those who like pure romantic comedies may be disappointed with this book. Also, those who are strictly opposed to any kind of sex scenes may want to avoid Mercy. I, myself, do not go for overtly sexual scenes. I was pleased to find that these scenes were written in a tactful way and brought further meaning to the story rather than just to get the reader in a tizzy.

Overall, I rate Mercy 3 out of 4 stars. I’d rate it 3.5 if I could. The writing was a bit disjointed in some chapters, as I mentioned above, but the emotion conveyed throughout the story definitely deserved an extra half star. While this may not be the cheeriest of books, it was poignant and heartfelt and definitely worth reading.

If you’re looking for a good, lifelike story about the complexities of family, emotions, divorce and dealing with the past, I recommend Mercy. The humorous overtone will keep you smiling even as your heart aches along with Carly’s.

Mercy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReadingRebecca's review? Post a comment saying so!
* *I miss snow!* *
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

Marriage being a part of life no one can ignore has numerous challenges ,one being a divorce. A lot of divorced couples float in a boat of endless agony as they are forced to be entrapped in the past. I love the determination in Carly as she embraces her pain and show it out in her paintings. The book sounds interesting to read as it a motivation to many going through the same fight. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, romance really isn't my genre. In spite of that, the premise sounds engaging even with the disjointed nature of some chapters. It's always interesting seeing someone trying to find love after a divorce. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to skip this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Thanks for the review. This one doesn't quite interest me though. I used to love this genre, I think I've just had enough of it for awhile.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Thank you, Sharon. Though I have not experienced divorce in my family or extended family, I connect with the difficulty and fluctuation of relationships. I was rooting for Carly as she went through her relationship trials.

Kandscreeley, I know what you mean. I'm not a fan of the typical romance genre. I would describe this book as more about relationships. I liked how Carly's relationship with Michael was only another part of the story about her life and not the main focus of the book. Thanks for your comment.

I hear you, AmySmiles. It's good to change up now and then. I was pleased that this book was more a reflection of life than just some hot romance. Hope you're enjoying your new genre choices.
* *I miss snow!* *
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Romance novels are generally not my first choice, but this one sounds like it was tactfully done. I loved what you said about not getting the reader into a 'tizzy.' That made me laugh! I used to shelve books in our local library and we could not keep those types of books on the shelf! Having gone through a divorce and then finding a new person suddenly in my life, it sounds like the author penned this after me. I might take a peek at it now that I read your review. :)
Everything happens for a reason...
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I couldn't help but find myself attracted to the cover. It is truly beautifully designed. I like a good boom that brings out a realistic approach but then it all depends on what the reader wants. Definitely on my bookshelf. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This sounds like a book that would appeal to a vast number of readers for its real-life depictions. With a little fine-tuning, this author has a very worthwhile read under her belt. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like this book takes you through a range of emotions. The mix of romance, humor and depressing moments sound intriguing. You make the book sound appealing. Nice job.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm not sure that this is the kind of book that would usually interest me, but your review is very persuasive - I particularly appreciated the point about the importance of humour.
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

cpru68 wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:49 I loved what you said about not getting the reader into a 'tizzy.' That made me laugh! I used to shelve books in our local library and we could not keep those types of books on the shelf! Having gone through a divorce and then finding a new person suddenly in my life, it sounds like the author penned this after me. I might take a peek at it now that I read your review. :)
Lol! Thank you...That cracks me up how those are the go to books at the livrary. They are not my type either. I was pleased with the realism in this one. Hope you enjoy it if you check it out. Thanks for your comment!
* *I miss snow!* *
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 May 2018, 22:58 I couldn't help but find myself attracted to the cover. It is truly beautifully designed. I like a good boom that brings out a realistic approach but then it all depends on what the reader wants. Definitely on my bookshelf. Thank you!
I agree. The cover attracted me too! Hope you enjoy the book. I love the quote at the bottom of your signature as well. :wink:
* *I miss snow!* *
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Thank you, SABRADLEY and kdstrack. Libs_books, I understand. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
* *I miss snow!* *
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review! This book seems like it is generally well written, and would be a source of courage and inspiration for many. I would definitely pick it up if I come across it!
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

I hope you enjoy it, gen_g!
* *I miss snow!* *

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”