Official Review: Happy Valley by Jerry Travis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Happy Valley by Jerry Travis

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happy Valley" by Jerry Travis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the past, I used to think that the word “retirement” meant living a free life, about finally getting some peace and quiet in one’s remaining years. However, Jerry Travis’ book, Happy Valley, has given me a different perspective — or rather, the truth — of retirement in regards to the old generation.

The book tells of a story about Tom Sherman, a retired English teacher who lived in the fictional retirement community Happy Valley. Tom was an ordinary man who I soon discovered to be suffering from depression especially after losing his wife, Ellen. He lived alone in a house with his cat, Smoke.

When I read the first few pages of the book, I immediately felt a little uncomfortable. The writing style was quite new to me, so it took a while to get used to everything. The events that were happening became monotonous to me until bits of Tom's past started to introduce themselves into the story.

What I liked about the book was that Tom’s character was surprisingly diverse. The book’s premise showed his current life as a depressed, retired teacher who was trying to get by in life, and then it started to show his past little by little. I also liked how I learned a lot of things from this book, like what being a teacher is like among rowdy students, how a person feels as he types his first story out of impulse, and many others. Additionally, it gave me a lot of insights about the lives of the older generation because of Tom’s adventures back when he was young. I personally think that the author is very knowledgeable to be able to write all of these experiences into his story and I appreciate every bit of what I've learned from them.

All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because sometimes I got confused by the events on whether they happened in the past or not. It didn't make it very easy for me to distinguish when it occurred and if it happened before or after a particular chapter. On the other hand, it was a good read and it had a pretty satisfying ending. By this, I would say that this book is definitely for those who would like to read stories about one's life up to his or her retirement years.

As the author quoted before the premise of his book: “Retirement as we know it today may not be available to future generations, who might have to continue working forever to pay off the debts of the present generation. That would also mean the end of retirement communities like the fictional Happy Valley in this novel.

Happy Valley
View: on Bookshelves

Like Aubrey Cana Laine's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Tom sounds like an interesting individual. Teachers are sure to have stories to share! Too bad about the confusing timeline, though. Thanks for sharing this information!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I was wondering about the writing style used in this book as you mentioned that it is quite new to you. Although the retirement community here is fictional, there are still homes like this that exist in real life and it is sad to think that there is a possibility of nonexistence or end of these communities in the future.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I wonder how does it feel to retire alone? Lot things came to my mind after I read this review. I am not surprised that he fell off to depression when his wife died. Moreover, after living with someone for a very long time and losing that person, and you find yourself living alone in a big house that's rough. I like to read this book, I believe it has a lot to teach me. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

It's not for me; retirement villages and other nick-knacks like that but I love your review and I am giving you a thumbs up right now, (don't worry if you don't see it).
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I would like to read this story. I'm not sure about the possibility of retirement may not be available for future generations is a good news to me or not because my father who is 62 now is still happily working as an auditor and my 92 year old Prime Minister is serving my country for a second time.

Seeing these 2 influential men in my life has given me the mentality to keep on working and learning new things while I'm still able to physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Anyway, good review on this. I will check this book out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

People with quite varied life experiences are endlessly interesting. The issues regarding how upcoming retirees will manage financially are definitely serious. Personally, I think we should be teaching high school students the importance of planning for retirement and how to manage a savings account and other retirement-financing options. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”