Official Review: Henry's Mill by Vic Veale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Henry's Mill by Vic Veale

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Henry's Mill" by Vic Veale.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henry's Mill by Vic Veale is a family saga focusing on the Henry family and their main business, the textile mill. The story spans a century and describes, sometimes more in-depth, sometimes less so, the lives of the main players in the Henry dynasty.

Henry’s Mill is set in Yorkshire, England at the beginning of the 20th Century, in 1903, when the Henry brothers (Abe, Harry, and William) started their new successful textile business after purchasing a run-down mill in the vicinity. Their family business was based on the manual work of making yarn and woolen cloth, and by acquiring the mill, the brothers were hoping to make it more viable in the current times of the Industrial Revolution by replacing manual labor with machines. The mill became successful; however, the family had no choice but try to expand and diversify if they wanted to stay afloat in the cutthroat competitive times. Thus they made long journeys abroad, going as far as the US and China, to find new business opportunities.

The reason why I picked up Henry’s Mill is that I was familiar with the author’s DCI Broadly crime mystery series, so I was curious about his new ventures into another genre. I have to admit, Vic Veale pulled it off quite nicely. There is a certain charm to the fictional biographies of the main protagonists, and you could see the author’s knowledge of the industry shining through the pages, having himself run a textile business for years. We learn about the lives of the Henry brothers and their children and families, going some four generations forward. In addition, we also learn quite a lot about the textile industry and the family’s particular business practices during the two World Wars, and the years after.

Most of the characters are well fleshed out. They have their own lives, worries, sorrows and joys, just like any of us in the real world. I especially enjoyed reading Richard’s story. For me, he seemed the most real of all, maybe because the author gave us quite a lot of details about his life. His romance with Jo was beautifully written, and his later partnership with Francesca touched my heart as well. However, not all characters were described in great detail, and often the story was narrated to us after events had taken place. At times I felt like I was seeing things from a bird’s-eye viewpoint, which left me a bit detached at times.

While the book didn’t have many grammatical mistakes, there were plenty of punctuation errors present, especially regarding the use of commas between two independent clauses. These should have been either followed by coordinating conjunctions, or the commas should have become semicolons. This particular issue came up at least once on every single page in the book. Just one such example: “They had to find niche markets, by going up-market he could see a way forward.” Additionally, some open quotation marks were not closed, and, on several occasions, the period at the end of a sentence was followed by a non-capitalized word (such as “into the adjoining room. the Dyer had”

Due to the reason above, I give Henry's Mill by Vic Veale 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to people who love reading family sagas, as well as to people who appreciate slower-paced memoirs. But if you only find joy in action-packed novels and adventure stories, you might not find Henry’s Mill all that compelling.

Henry's Mill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Only occasionally do I enjoy a slow paced novel such as this one. I'm glad that the characters are nicely done, though, as that's very important in a book such as this. Too bad about the punctuation errors, but it sounds like it was still enjoyable. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

kislany wrote: 02 May 2018, 12:11 However, not all characters were described in great detail, and often the story was narrated to us after events had taken place. At times I felt like I was seeing things from a bird’s-eye viewpoint, which left me a bit detached at times.
I like the general sound of the book, but I think this would annoy me. I love the fact that you chose to review this because you liked the author's work in a different genre, and I enjoyed reading your review, thanks.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This one actually interests me just because I love books that span generations. It sounds like a the author did a great job on the storyline but needs to make some editing work. I don’t know if I would enjoy it as much because of those errors so maybe the author will take you up on your advice and revamp this one a little.
Everything happens for a reason...
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Re: Official Review: "Henry's Mill" by Vic Veale

I enjoy reading a great English novel, so I think I would like reading "Henry's Mill" by Vic Veale. You have detailed enough of what took place with the "Mill" family business, the competition and the revolution of the wool business booming during the 20th century. Those are things I like to read about it brings out something in me. Maybe I am a lot more traditional than being modern.

Great Review!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like reading family sagas because it is quite interesting to follow the change in mentality and attitude from generation to generation. From your description, Henry's Mill seems to be well-written especially since the author uses his own knowledge in the textile business. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This generational saga sounds interesting. Your review makes this sound like an intriguing book. I'm glad you liked it, in spite of how difficult it is to read with all the grammar errors.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

I have a love for memoirs, as well as family sagas like your review terms it. They always ave a way of drawing you in; into personal lives, encapsulating feelings, thoughts and general growth. The punctuation errors, it seems, didn't detach from the book, therefore an addition to my 'want to read!' shelf. Thank you!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I like reading stories about family drama but this doesn't seem to have as much juice as I'd expect. It still sounds like an okay novel, especially with the well fleshed out characters. However, I think the punctuation errors would be too offsetting anyway. Thanks for the clear review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book sounds interesting, but I may have to give it a pass as I generally prefer books to be faster-paced. Thank you still for the lovely review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”