Official Review: Lou's Tattoos by Iris Chacon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Lou's Tattoos by Iris Chacon

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lou's Tattoos" by Iris Chacon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I absolutely loved Lou's Tattoos by Iris Chacon. It's a charming, hilariously funny and delightfully romantic adventure set in 1995. However, I was mortified to find that this period (when I was in my late twenties) is such ancient history now that it requires an introduction to explain photographic film, and how you texted on old-style phones (of which my current phone is one).

Well, you know what they say, nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

Lou is a very talented photographer and tattoo artist, back in a time when inking was associated with bikers, mobsters and riffraff. Unbeknownst to her, Buddy Petruccio, a minor mobster, realises that Lou needs to be ‘disappeared’ as she could blow his murder alibi. Fortunately, she is the darling of the biker community who love her work, so they swear to protect her. Meanwhile, she bumps into Galen Randall on a plane. He is a rich, handsome, world famous, though rarely seen, wildlife photographer. Galen realises that she is his soulmate and sets out in hot pursuit.

It all comes together as a hilarious comedy of mistaken identity as burly and utterly adorable bikers try (as unobtrusively as a huge, leather-clad man on a Harley-Davidson hog can be) to protect Lou from hitmen. The story takes a number of twist and turns with ridiculous scenarios that made me laugh out loud. I found the whole thing rather reminiscent of The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop (to assist those for whom this is ancient history, I have provided an appendix). Lou would of course be Penelope, the bikers would be the Ant Hill Mob, Buddy Petruccio, the Hooded Claw and Galen, Peter Perfect.

This, for me, was the ultimate ‘feel good’ book. I adored all of the characters for their love and support of each other. I have only two negative comments. One is that it could do with another round of editing, and the other is that it is very short. The whole book is 134 pages long, but the story itself only makes up about 95. I couldn’t help but feel that the three appendices, including a 16 page history of tattooing and an 8 page description of 1995 culture, were there to disguise the book’s brevity. I’m not surprised that the story is short, it’s the kind of, witty, snappy humour that needs to be concise. However, I felt that maybe the author could have had more of a free-for-all at the end, or an exciting chase, or slipped in some extra chapters rather than appendices.

Even with the shortness of the book, I would still have been happy to have paid for it as I enjoyed every minute. I would love to give this book top marks, but I’ve deducted a star for the grammatical errors and so can only give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Appendix.
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop is an American animated television series produced in 1969 by Hanna-Barbera Productions. It is a spin-off of the Wacky Races cartoon, which itself was inspired by the 1965 film The Great Race. Penelope Pitstop is a typical damsel in distress (which Lou certainly isn’t) and her cries of ‘heyulp’ were always answered by the Ant Hill Mob (a collection of unshaven mafiosa) or Peter Perfect (who was only in Wacky Races).

Lou's Tattoos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I like your review. I would read this book.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

lydiasmoot21 wrote: 07 May 2018, 12:00 I like your review. I would read this book.
Thank you, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thanks for the review! It's a shame that the grammar wasn't up to par with the story!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:27 Thanks for the review! It's a shame that the grammar wasn't up to par with the story!
Yes, but it’s still a cracking story :lol:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sounds like a quick, fun read. The cover caught my attention and gave away that it is probably quite humorous. My initial comparison is to Stephanie Plum. It's great to read something that isn't too serious, especially when life itself gets rough. Nice review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 May 2018, 18:32 Sounds like a quick, fun read. The cover caught my attention and gave away that it is probably quite humorous. My initial comparison is to Stephanie Plum. It's great to read something that isn't too serious, especially when life itself gets rough. Nice review.
Thank you. Yes, I love the Stephanie Plum books and it is reminiscent of them.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It's hard to hit the mark with comedy in a fiction novel, but the author surely did a great job. I don't understand the need for the expansion on 1995 or tattoos! I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

SABRADLEY wrote: 07 May 2018, 21:01 It's hard to hit the mark with comedy in a fiction novel, but the author surely did a great job. I don't understand the need for the expansion on 1995 or tattoos! I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)
No, I didn’t see the need for all those appendices. That’s why I put one in the review as a joke. :lol:
Thanks for reading.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This does sound like fun! Thanks for the appendix - no idea who Penelope Pitstop is, but I LOVED Wacky Races.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 08 May 2018, 02:45 This does sound like fun! Thanks for the appendix - no idea who Penelope Pitstop is, but I LOVED Wacky Races.
Great review :)
Thank you. Penelope Pistop was in Wacky Races, she was the only woman and drove the Compact Pussycat. As you can see, I loved Wacky races too :lol:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 08 May 2018, 00:27
SABRADLEY wrote: 07 May 2018, 21:01 It's hard to hit the mark with comedy in a fiction novel, but the author surely did a great job. I don't understand the need for the expansion on 1995 or tattoos! I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)
No, I didn’t see the need for all those appendices. That’s why I put one in the review as a joke. :lol:
Thanks for reading.
Hahaha!!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The 90's are not ancient history for me either. LOL. This sounds like a fun story.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

teacherjh wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:45 The 90's are not ancient history for me either. LOL. This sounds like a fun story.
It certainly was. Thanks for commenting.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I loved your review. I loved Wacky Races. My favorite driver was Dick Dastardly. I loved his mustache, LOL! I'd like to get my share of fun, though I don't think I'll ever get inked.

Thanks, Helen! This review really made a mark!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”