Official Review: Blood and Magnolias by Morgan Summerfield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Blood and Magnolias by Morgan Summerfield

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood and Magnolias" by Morgan Summerfield.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blood and Magnolias is a thriller novel with strong overtones of romance and atmospheric horror. The book follows Adrean, a Cajun who married into a wealthy Creole family, as she is swept up into a sinister plot that causes her to be manipulated by almost every man in her life. At the onset of the story, she is trapped in an extremely unhappy marriage, and the book centers on themes of self-discovery as she tries to navigate the complex and often toxic relationships she's built up while trying to avoid the machinations of the grand plan that's been coiling around her for years.

This book's environment is central to its narrative. Set in Louisiana, the opulent lifestyles of the upper class and the down-home Cajun way of life played out against the bayou are played off of each other, drawing Adrean's conflict between the person she is and the person others want to be into stark relief with beautifully descriptive prose. The inclusion of various elements of Voodoo tradition also serves to give the narrative a unique character.

The characters in this book are, for the most part, either self-absorbed to the point of mania or beaten down to the point of hopelessness. This provides tremendous opportunities for character development, and while I feel that the author could have done more in this area, the characters are all distinct and engaging nonetheless. Their crises always feel believable, despite their extremity, and the narrative never demands baseless pity for them. As the threads of the overarching plot were revealed through their actions, I felt a deep sense of dread for the horrific events that befell Adrean, as well as those that had yet to occur. This is the single most exciting aspect of Blood and Magnolias, in my opinion, as it blends romance and, to some extent, horror elements to create a truly unique thriller experience.

While the book deals with some extremely dark topics, including abusive relationships, sexual assault, and implied incest, these themes are never forced or romanticized. There are many sexual scenes, but the focus throughout is on Adrean's growth and development, rather than her romantic relationships themselves. At a certain point towards the end of the book, she does feel a bit too much like a stereotypical damsel in distress for my liking, but this wasn't glaring enough to detract significantly from my enjoyment. Her romantic relationships with the different men in the book were distinct and believable. The overarching theme of romance, as well as the various ways romantic relationships can be healthy or abusive, are explored thoroughly without feeling cluttered or disorganized; again, the focus is always centered on Adrean.

Blood and Magnolias is far from a conventional thriller; there's no murder mystery to be solved, and the "blood" in the title refers more to familial blood, as in "bloodline." It is a refreshing breath of air in a genre that often becomes fixated on overused tropes, and many of the plot elements are downright disturbing without being over-the-top. For these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in thrillers, or fans of romance and atmospheric horror who are open to the thriller genre, but I'd caution potential readers that it addresses very heavy and potentially triggering themes.

This review has been edited slightly by the reviewer. The rating has remained unchanged.
Blood and Magnolias
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Osuma
Currently Reading: Ruby's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Osuma »

This Is A Book That Is Base Relationships A Woman "Cajun" Who Was Married Into A Rich Family! Whose Make Her To Plot Against Any Man She Come's Across In Her Live'because She Was Entangle With An Unhappy Marriage! The Mostly Centred On Self Discovery! How She Manage To Stard Up To Her! It Is Also Centre On Naratives' In A City Called Lusiana! It Deal Dark Aspect Like Sexual Issue ,like Rape! Blood An Mongnolias Is Far Love Thrilling Stories, I Reccommend This Book To Any People Who Interested Discovering ,how To Build Ur Married Life An D Entire World!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Never read a thrill novel before, this book may be the case to explore something new. Would like to know how it sound to read instead see a movie of this genre... interesting
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for a thorough review! What an interesting dichotomy of characters. The author's choice of Louisiana for the backdrop was smartly done, as it is somewhat renown for its socioeconomic diversity. This sounds like a book worth checking into.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Nicely done on this review in that it gave me a good glimpse into what the storyline is all about without giving any of the secrets away. I am not into horror, so thank you for making that clear here. I am okay with a thriller or what have you, but too much graphic type situations is not my cup of tea. It sounds like the author hit the mark for the genre though.
Everything happens for a reason...
Koech1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Koech1 »

Best thriller I have ever read. It makes you glued to the unfoldings and wanting to get more and more of the story. Clearly Morgan Summerfield nailed it.
Delilish6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Delilish6 »

It sound like the author work to hit life's personal notes with love and family. Generally we look towards the grounds of parenting life to set the stage for what's to come. Although, the past can appear deranged it take an adult time to work through a dismayed of family history. The blood or bloodline could represent the tradition past down through the generations that often many tend to suppress then reveal through the story line. Excellent discussion!
sofiam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sofiam »

Nice review I love those kinds of books. I love thrillers. Excellent story.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

Great review. You really seemed to capture the essence of the novel. This novel sounds fantastic and important in its ideas. I'm glad the character doesn't fall too much into the role of the damsel in distress as I probably wouldn't read it if she did. Can't wait to read!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

All the comments made me thinking of reading more books of this genre. So interesting it is mentoned that this is the best thriller Koech1 has ever read... can you reccomend to me any other book like this? Thank you!!!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A great rating on this one. I've seen quite a few books recently about toxic relationships. This one definitely sounds like it has some unique things going for it, which is nice! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I don't understand! How is this a horror novel? Thriller for sure and it really got my attention. I think the cover illustration does not give a detail description on what this book is about. I'm intriguing by your review and truly want to take a look at this book. The synopsis that you have stated is interesting enough to secure a interest within me and others as well. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Seems like an interesting read if you are interested in thrillers/horror. I enjoyed your review of this book. Thanks for the heads up on the abuse and sexual content.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story is quite intriguing. Though I am not a fan this genre. I am glad,you enjoyed it. Thanks for your interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Nice review. Although I dont like damsels in distress who just wait or cry to be saved, Adrean doesn't completely seem like a damsel in distress though she is a little bit like one.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”