Official Review: Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s ...

Post by gaporter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way" by Scott Mendelson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abner Kincaid is a priest – or at least he used to be. That’s not stopping him from seeking out female companionship and get-rich-quick opportunities, though. In fact, his status as a masquerading priest gives him the idea to open up a phony Christian-themed body-building course on his father’s dilapidated old farm. However, the farm – and his life – quickly spiral out of control and Kincaid is forced to confront the demons he’s been harboring since the Vietnam War.

Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way by Scott Mendelson is a unique take on a coming-of-age novel (if 59 years old can be considered “of age”). I was interested in reviewing this book because I thought it sounded humorous; the title alone promises irreverence. I found that this book is not quite a comedy, though. The characters think up some crazy schemes and have some sarcastic banter, but this serves the unveiling of the characters personalities more than to garner laughs from the readers. Rather, the primary focus of the book is Kincaid’s growth and maturity as he faces his inner struggles. To be honest, I found certain chapters to be more depressing than anything else.

My favorite part of the book is the close friendship Kincaid has with his war-time friend George Granger. Even though both men suffered emotional turmoil in the years after the war, they now have a dependent and intimate relationship with each other. It’s refreshing to see a sweet relationship between two straight men in our hyper-macho culture.

One complaint I have about Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way is an inconsistency in the narration style. The narration is limited third-person point-of-view following Kincaid for the majority of the book. There are a few instances where the perspective shifts and follows Granger or other characters, though, and these deviations seem odd and are a little jarring.

I also noticed that the story is not very realistic, particularly in regards to how most of the side characters interact with Kincaid. The medical staff does not act at all professional; in fact, most of the side characters seem to be antagonistic to Kincaid, even when they have no reason to be. I think this unrealistic quality holds the book back from being considered higher level literature. However, this quality might also make the book more appealing to a wider range of readers. Ridiculous interactions with other characters can allow the story to explore Kincaid's emotional challenges and victories while still retaining its entertainment value.

I give Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the story from beginning to end overall, but I found several typos. These typos snagged my attention and pulled me out of the story each time they appeared. I thought that an additional editorial comb-through would be beneficial. I recommend Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way to readers interested in stories featuring antiheroes or those who appreciate sarcasm and irreverence.

Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks for review, Lagaporter.
The title made me to check it out, but I
coudn't see any connection to the name "Jesus". I wonder the reason behind the title.
Books are lovely.
Nathan Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-okafor.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nathan Okafor »

Thanks for the review. But I don't think the name of the book is suitable for what the book is all about. Also I don't see any relationship with what the book said and Jesus.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I love this particular version of Bildugsroman.
SohelRiju
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SohelRiju »

Thanks for the review. Nice story but I always believe 1things book just can say but can't do nothing
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Like you, I thought the title was really promising, but the combination of depressing and not very realistic doesn't appeal much. I enjoy irreverence, but I don't think this one's for me - thanks for the review, though.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Wow not what I expected from the title. Although I didn’t know what to expect, actually. Thanks for your review.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 04:42 Thanks for review, Lagaporter.
The title made me to check it out, but I
coudn't see any connection to the name "Jesus". I wonder the reason behind the title.
Nathan Okafor wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:51 Thanks for the review. But I don't think the name of the book is suitable for what the book is all about. Also I don't see any relationship with what the book said and Jesus.
The title of the book refers to the phony Christian-themed body-building course Kincaid opens while he pretends that he is still a priest. The book is likely titled this as running this fake body-building course initiates a cascade of events that derails Kincaid's life and forces him to reflect on himself.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”