Review by Emily Woods -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Woods
Favorite Author: Laini Taylor
Currently Reading: The Dream Thieves
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-woods.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 4440

Review by Emily Woods -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Emily Woods »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

*I received this book from the Online Book Club in exchange for an honest review*

2 out of 4

The cover:
It looks alright but doesn't feel like it really reflects too much about the book. I mean maybe there's some subtly placed symbols for the book based on its cover. But again it's nothing too amazing.
Pages:
386 pages.
Chapters:
70 total.

Plot:
So Frank is an English Catholic Priest who is going to be a Parrish in Florida for a year until his VISA expires. This story focuses a lot on the shenanigans that Frank gets into, which allows for hilarity to ensue. Though some of the comedy in this can come off as funny it can also feel like something you might see in the Juvenile genre. And you know how the juvenile genre is, it's so very immature. But in some way, it reminds me of something that a comedy show on BBC would do. Frank has to help keep the Charmois from taking away their donations to the church, which depends on how he acts around Carly and her husband. And Gene Charmois is someone you wouldn't want to mess with.

Character(s):
Frank: He's the main character who happens to be a young English Catholic Priest. He is known as Father Francis. He dislikes VISA, he had enough of the VISA being mentioned upon his arrival. He's excited about his job as a Parrish in Florida and he knows that he has much to learn. He likes the benefits and it doesn't seem like things will be so bad. He faces challenges on his chastity when encountering women (Especially Carly), and he gets caught up in some dangerous stuff as the plot synopsis indicates (Car accidents, drinking, and death threats/blackmail.). Though despite all that he still goes through many hilarious/"hilarious" antics.

Bill: Known as Father William. He picks up Frank from the Airport and takes Frank to the church that he'll be serving in Florida. He seems like a goof who doesn't always consider his decisions in life, despite being a priest. But I guess his goofiness was supposed to feel "charming,"!! He likes how mean Martha is, or something. (Well then!! :p )

Martha:The habitation technician who helps to keep the Fathers on track. She has quite a fire to her when she gets angry. She catches Frank in quite of his embarrassing moments. She's very patient and understanding with Frank, through all the crazy things that happen.

Charmois: The wife tries to flirt with Frank and Gene is upset that he can't use some of his money as "help" to the church when Frank buys a cruddy car. He feels insulted and he feels like his power was being undermined at the time. And he kind of makes up rumors that are bad enough to be blackmail. And he has quite a bit of aggression pent up inside of him. And he really cares about his money more than fixing any problems with his own life or his company.

This book has a few good qualities such as:
Most of the chapters not being too lengthy (They keep straight to the point), Its comedy can give a few laughs even with a few of the "comedic" moments flopping, and the characters really bring many interesting things to the story (even if you end up disliking some of them.).

However I can't really excuse the book for its filler sort of "plot" The author has some idea with the "plot", but a few of the chapters despite how quick they are are just filler to me.

Recommends to:
I guess if you like Juvenile sort of humor maybe you'd get a kick out of this. Or if you find BBC comedies to be your cup of tea this is quite similar to some of that. Or if you like religious undertones you might enjoy it as well.
But tbh I'm not really onboard with continuing the next book.

Hope you enjoyed my review!! Thanks for Reading!!
(And thanks for purchasing the book so I could review it)
(Also I apologize for any bad grammar in my review. I just thought I'd share my honest opinion about the book, and so I used my own words which came out in rambles. Also, I'm still new at this and all. :p)

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emily Woods's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”