Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Re: Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Asavela »

Izzy sounds like a great character, i would love to read this beautiful story.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Izzy really does seem like a very relatable character. It's a very common feeling to want to get more out of life. I like that this book has such a casual flow to it, yet still manages to get descriptive at some points. Books with great characters and great writing are always a win for me. The premise seems great, too. I would really love to find out how Izzy manages with all the crossroads that life is throwing her way.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Thanks for the review! I love character-driven stories and authors who can impressively juggle multiple themes. I also find it sometimes refreshing to read stories of personal turmoil because they keep me humble :)
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Thank you for your review. I can relate to Izzy in wanting to have more out of your life. Having an alcoholic husband can be very challenging. I was thrown when the author switched from the story with Izzy to a therapy session with Jim. It took me a bit to realize what was going on. Then, sometimes the idioms used by writers from different countries can throw off the reader, but I enjoy them. It sounds like a good book. I look forward to reading it.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Desertsapper
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desertsapper.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Desertsapper »

This sounds like an interesting read. General fiction with lots of relationship twists and the like is typically not my cup of tea, but this sounds like something more on the verge of reality. I'm concerned that the male characters may lack depth, in that the husband as a drunk sounds cliche, as does the daring love interest. All the same, I'd like to see what happens to Izzy with Sean and with her husband Jim. The characters sound relatable. And it's free on Amazon right now.
"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."
-Friedrich Schiller - Wallensteins Lager
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This sounds like an interesting story. I am wondering what will happen with Izzy and what path she will end up taking. I think many could relate to Izzy and her being at a crossroad in life.
Mac :techie-reference:
stephrody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stephrody »

:P Just reading the review intrigued me. I am always thrilled to read a book about women in search of their "selves" and becoming a stronger woman while discovering their as yet undiscovered path. I did order the book and have just started reading it and the first few pages have a strong pull on my interest to the point that it is hard to put it down.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

Want to read the novel,it looks like its so fascinating and charming beginning with it's cover page,crime forms part of my daily study to prove wot causes them to arise.romance also form bt of my interest cause most a times it results in transformation of lovers.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

In reading the sample, the characters piqued my interest from the very beginning: they are well-drawn and relatable. This should be a very good read.
pettis-bailey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pettis-bailey.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by pettis-bailey »

Sounds like a really great book and I am eager to read it! Izzy’s life seems like one that will keep you on edge as to what’s going to happen next all the time! Thanks for the review!
Ryviera24
Currently Reading: Living Your Covenants Every Day
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryviera24.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Ryviera24 »

An interesting start to a novel. I am not familiar with the events that were mentioned occurred in Glasgow in 2011 but the way in which the author opens the story definitely draws you in. Izzy is a woman with ambition and a lot on her plate - and mind. From what I was able to glean from the first 3 chapters, Small Change is about a woman on the verge a turning point in her own life and faced with the challenge of what to do when you come up against the past, the present and the future, all converging on you at once. Mix in a little political upheaval and you have the makings of a very interesting story.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

bookowlie wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 10:44 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Small Change" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Change by Keddie Hughes is a contemporary novel about a woman who is at a crossroads in her personal life. Set in Glasgow, Scotland, it can be categorized as general fiction. Forty-one-year-old Izzy Campbell volunteers at the Citizens’ Advice Bureau while attending college part-time. She contemplates leaving her alcoholic husband Jim as their son is almost ready to go off to college. At her job, Izzy meets Sean, a journalist who is investigating a football team for financial corruption. She becomes involved in the case, mainly due to her flirty infatuation with him and a thirst for a little adventure. Adding to the mix is Jim’s company is vying for an alarm contract with the same team.

This book captured my attention right from the first few pages. All of the characters are well drawn, even the supporting crew. Izzy is a very relatable character who is weary of her husband’s behavior and yearns for something more in life. Although Jim is a sympathetic character at times, he is still a drunk who bumbles through his work and home life. It’s pretty clear that Izzy would love for her husband to basically disappear. In contrast, Sean is utterly charming. My favorite line in the book is when Sean says, “But the loveliest thing about you, Izzy, is you have no idea how lovely you are.”

The author is able to juggle various parts of the story with ease, including revealing conversations between Jim and his therapist (for his drinking problem). Snippets of these therapy sessions appear at the end of each chapter and give additional insight into Jim’s character.

The author does a good job of weaving the subplots together without veering the story off track. One exception, however, is the small political plotline involving Izzy’s friend Bridget. Although their close friendship adds depth to the book, the subplot about Bridget running for political office feels awkwardly thrown in since the character disappears from the story for very long stretches.

The casual, breezy writing style moves the plot along at a steady pace. There is just the right amount of detailed description without bogging down the story. I spotted a few errors (not capitalizing the first word in a sentence, a missing apostrophe, incorrect use of plural vs. singular, and a missing word). The errors surprised me, given the otherwise high quality of the writing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an absorbing story that is sure to keep you curled up on the sofa for hours. I would recommend it to anyone who likes character-driven novels and a mix of themes. I hope the author decides to write more books about Izzy as she is an unforgettable character.

Editor's Note: This review is based on an advanced pre-publication copy. The few minor errors noted by the reviewer were corrected before the book was published.
Small Change
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
The plot seems a little dry for my taste. I'm not a fan of the flirting while, falling out of of a marriage. The review was amazing, thank you.
Manaka
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manaka.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Manaka »

The meeting of Izzy and Sean may have great impact on their lives contrary to what the book title says. A great review I must say.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

I thnk Izzzy is a character that many of us can relate to at some stage in our lives. Stuck in a rut and feeling that everything is one big disappointment. So of course when someone like Sean crosses your path you, you see a chance to change your whole life! I think I could definitely curl up on the lounge with this book and delve into each character!
Brandon 007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brandon 007 »

The book has a feel of different genres which makes it unique and appealing to read. I like it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”