Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Princeroland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Princeroland »

Izzy played a good role by trying to stop her husband's runchy life
this book is really educating and worth reading, in any thing a man does in life, he should count getting drunk off it because it has so many regrets that comes with it when you come back to your senses
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

Really captivating, having a single unforgettable character who drives the story around is really interesting. It was a nice review though thanks.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I like that the author did a good job individualizing the characters.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Lee_Reads »

Thanks for the review. I am drawn to this book because the setting is in Glasgow, Scotland. Also, Izzy seems like a complicated character. What small changes will she make? I’ll add this one to my reading list.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Keddie Hughes writes Small Change with a deft, concise and uncluttered style that nevertheless captures the thoughts and emotions of the characters like they were images reflected on a mirror. Small Change is about Izzy, a fortyish woman who is losing her feelings for her alcoholic husband, Jim, an executive with a company about to land an alarm contract with his favorite football club, the Rangers. With her son Davy going to college, Izzy reassesses her life and decides to take up social science in school and be a volunteer for the Citizens' Advice Bureau, a non-profit group aiding people with financial problems. She meets Sean who shows up at the bureau on behalf of his brother Connor who lost his son and is in dire financial straits. Izzy takes an interest in Connor's case. Meanwhile, Jim's alcoholism worsens and he tells his therapist that he witnessed a fatal attack on a young man after a football game. Sean, a journalist, pursues an investigation into the Rangers' money problems and corruption. All these strands are connected. In Keddie Hughes' storytelling, they are pieces of the puzzle making up a whole. Small Change is about a crumbling marriage, a man who self-destructs under the weight of his guilt and Izzy, who must learn to bring her life back on track. Thanks to Bookowlie for a comprehensive review of Small Change that does it justice.
judtmoore
Currently Reading: The Great Inception
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by judtmoore »

Very well written review. You did an amazing job at summarizing the general plot line of the novel without giving away any spoilers. I normally would not be interested in reading a book in this particular genre, but your review really intrigued me. I'm a sucker for character driven plots and deep character development. I may have to give this book a go.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

Wow amazing review. The characters seems real and easily relatable, just the kind of books I enjoy reading.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
pathiyilprasanthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pathiyilprasanthi.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by pathiyilprasanthi »

I would like to read it. Izzy's character seems to be very interesting. The best part is that the backdrop is set in Scotland. Looking forward to the description of nature in the book too.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for this review! That is so tragic about Izzy and her relationship problems. I have known many alcoholics, and they are somewhat sympathetic characters in general. I may have to read this one.
WonderReader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WonderReader »

The book sounds amazing from the review, but I read the description on the back of the book, and I can say it confused me alittle. It said Izzy is attending college and her son on his way to college?
KarlaE89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlae89.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KarlaE89 »

Your review of Small Change piqued my interest in this book and I must say I already cannot wait to read it! First off, I love the fact that it takes place in Scotland as it satisfies my wanderlust in literary form. Second, when I first read about Jim's alcoholism I must say I immediately resonated with Izzy and her desire to leave him as soon as her son is off to college. What I was not expecting (and ultimately grabbed my attention the most) was your mention of the end of the chapter therapy sessions that Jim attends. I was immediately interested in his character and what these therapy sessions revealed about him. Third, your description of the casual writing style of the book put it at the top of my bedtime reading list. Thank you for your excellent review and I look forward to getting my hands on this one!
sabrekat333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrekat333.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by sabrekat333 »

Interesting review! Not sure how I feel about this plot line, but I am intrigued. I like how you didn't say too much about the character's, just enough to let us know that there was more to know. Thank you!
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

I totally agree! I loved how charming Sean was and the book is utterly amazing. The perfect mix! The reader really sympathizes with Izzy and the Scotland setting is just wonderful.
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

I agree that right from the very start the characters are well drawn, so I think we probably like the same kind of books, which makes me very eager to read more! I love your review, it's very clear and articulate.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I am quite curious to see how the author handles what seems to be Izzy's mid-life crisis and her relationship with the new man. I hope it does not go into adultery territory and I will definitely read the story to see where it goes.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”