Official Review: Give 'til it Hurts by Marilyn L. Donnellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Give 'til it Hurts by Marilyn L. Donnellan

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Give 'til it Hurts" by Marilyn L. Donnellan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

CJ Pierce is a counselor for victims of abuse at a shelter called Safe House. Everyday she works with women who have been battered and bruised by their husbands; women who are more eager to go back than file a restraining order. But what happens when she herself becomes the victim?

Give 'til It Hurts by Marilyn Donnellan is a novel that I would classify as Christian fiction. There is a strong element of faith in God along with the typical question of why bad things happen to good people. For this reason, I would only recommend this book to Christians or those who are open to faith.

The characters in this book were one of the strong points of the story. CJ is flawed like everyone of us, and it shows when she becomes a victim of something that she councils women on everyday. Next, though, we see the abusers; we can feel their anger and resentment towards their significant others. Even the secondary characters are filled with the contradictions that are replete in humanity. I was sad when the story ended forcing me to say goodbye to the characters.

On that note, the ending was a bit disappointing for me. While the overarching theme of the story was wrapped up, the ending felt abrupt. I was left with questions especially regarding the relationships of various characters. I am unsure if the author is continuing this book as a series, but that would make the most sense given the almost unfinished feel of the last chapter.

I also feel that I should point out that there was an almost circular feel to the plot. The protagonist finds herself in more trouble than she can handle. Then all is resolved. Then, once again, she is overwhelmed with trouble only to find it abate again. At first, I was irked by this revolving plot; however, I started thinking about my own life. Isn't that how it happens in reality? I usually find myself in too deep and wondering how I'm going to get out of a certain mess. Then, circumstances even out for a while and all is well before it repeats over again.

There were also a fair number of grammatical errors throughout the book. These mostly consisted of typos or missing words. While they were not overly distracting, a good editor would have caught these before publishing.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Give 'til It Hurts. It was a good story but not outstanding. With this in mind, I rate Give 'til It Hurts 3 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would give it 2.5 stars simply for the "okayness" of the story. I just don't feel it was bad enough to knock it all the way down to 2 stars. I would recommend this to those who enjoy rather simplistic Christian fiction novels.

Give 'til it Hurts
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I like how you picked up on the revolving nature of the plot, then took an introspective look at your own life! I could truly say the same for how things play out for me as well, but probably wouldn't have noticed the similarities. Well done!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I actually detest simplistic "Christian" writing. Ok, maybe detest is way too strong a word! I am frustrated by simplistic Christian writing. There, that is more accurate. I long for books that are strongly written, high quality, lacking in easy, pat answers, whose characters also happen to be Christians and live that way. Characters that struggle with real-life issues, but don't just always have the solution fall into their laps. After all, God is not a fairy godmother. And I long for the Christian "part" of their life to not just seem to be just plopped on top of an otherwise mediocre plot. Actually, it sounds like this book avoids some of those worst downfalls. I am glad for that. Thanks for the honest review! (And can you tell that I have just finished reading a book of this genre that has left me feeling annoyed?)
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

I'm so conflicted by this. Your review is really good and I'm fascinated by what you say about the characters. However, I'm not sure I'll overly enjoy this book. Thanks for your honest review! I
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SABRADLEY wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 00:48 Thank you for your thoughtful review. I like how you picked up on the revolving nature of the plot, then took an introspective look at your own life! I could truly say the same for how things play out for me as well, but probably wouldn't have noticed the similarities. Well done!
Well, I was getting kind of annoyed. But it just occurred to me, that that's pretty much the way it happens for me. I suppose there are some who never go through trials or who are always in trials, but those are fewer! Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 01:42 I actually detest simplistic "Christian" writing. Ok, maybe detest is way too strong a word! I am frustrated by simplistic Christian writing. There, that is more accurate. I long for books that are strongly written, high quality, lacking in easy, pat answers, whose characters also happen to be Christians and live that way. Characters that struggle with real-life issues, but don't just always have the solution fall into their laps. After all, God is not a fairy godmother. And I long for the Christian "part" of their life to not just seem to be just plopped on top of an otherwise mediocre plot. Actually, it sounds like this book avoids some of those worst downfalls. I am glad for that. Thanks for the honest review! (And can you tell that I have just finished reading a book of this genre that has left me feeling annoyed?)
This is simplistic in that the problems actually get resolved (for the most part.) In real life, I'm sure there are many times when we never get that resolution. However, in my readings, I do like happy endings. If you are looking for a good complex, Christian read, have you ever read anything by Brandilyn Collins? She writes Christian mysteries that are out of this world!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bnoy wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 05:48 I'm so conflicted by this. Your review is really good and I'm fascinated by what you say about the characters. However, I'm not sure I'll overly enjoy this book. Thanks for your honest review! I
I understand. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Thanks for the honest review. The premise of the story sounds good, but I probably won't put it on my list.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 12:14 Thanks for the honest review. The premise of the story sounds good, but I probably won't put it on my list.
I understand. Thanks for commenting, though.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What you described here is somewhat of a 'physician heal thyself' type of book with the main character going through what she helps other women deal with. I would say that this theme can be very true to life. Coming from a marriage that wasn't so wonderful, I was heartbroken to realize that I had allowed myself to be in a place that so many women had found themselves around me. So, I can kind of connect with the main character here. As far as the revolving storyline, I agree with you in that it can be like real life, but if it didn't seem to fit right in and be done in a natural way in the story, I think that would cause a reader some aggravation. I enjoyed your thorough review of this one. Sounds very interesting.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cpru68 wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 15:17 What you described here is somewhat of a 'physician heal thyself' type of book with the main character going through what she helps other women deal with. I would say that this theme can be very true to life. Coming from a marriage that wasn't so wonderful, I was heartbroken to realize that I had allowed myself to be in a place that so many women had found themselves around me. So, I can kind of connect with the main character here. As far as the revolving storyline, I agree with you in that it can be like real life, but if it didn't seem to fit right in and be done in a natural way in the story, I think that would cause a reader some aggravation. I enjoyed your thorough review of this one. Sounds very interesting.
I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I think it's easy for us as women to sit on the outside and judge those in an abusive marriage. To tell them, "Just leave him!" But when we are actually faced with it ourselves, it's much harder to take our own advice. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I really like the title of this book, but would be curious to know the relevance to the story or theme. Thank you for the review, and if you see this, please comment. Thanks!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I absolutely loved your review. Thank you for writing this.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

lbhatters wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 21:53 I really like the title of this book, but would be curious to know the relevance to the story or theme. Thank you for the review, and if you see this, please comment. Thanks!
I think it just has to do with CJ's life work at the shelter. You know, sometimes you do so much or give so much that you neglect yourself? You think you can't say no to take care of yourself? Something to that extent. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 01 May 2018, 04:48 I absolutely loved your review. Thank you for writing this.
Thanks so much!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”