Review by Lee_Reads -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Lee_Reads
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Lee_Reads -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Lee_Reads » 25 Apr 2018, 21:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane will not disappoint. This story is both heartbreaking and captivating. Natalie Chapman reflects back on the pivotal year she turned 17. Natalie emerges from an insecure teen to a confident young woman. As the year goes on the family secrets start to slowly unfold.

The story begins with Natalie’s Grandfather Elphic growing too old for farm work. His property known as Ironbark Hill is then passed down to his son-in-law, Alex Townsend. Alex’s drinking problems and poor management skills lead to the farm's deterioration. Not only does he destroy the farm, but he also terrorizes his family after drinking moonshine. This story closely follows a year in the life of Natalie Chapman, Alex’s stepdaughter. Natalie fiercely defends her mother and brother from Alex. She takes a cleaning job for Bruce and Rosemary Glover at Riverview to help put food on the table. She knows exactly what she wants in life and that is to be a landscape painter and teacher. Rosemary Glover, a local artist, helps her work toward this goal. Natalie seeks to find the truth about her deceased Father, Johnny Chapman. Will she find the answers? How will Natalie survive her stepdad’s constant abuses? Will she find peace and happiness?

The scenery described is magnificent. The author paints a gorgeous picture of rural Australia. You can almost see the barren earth and the blue/green forests of she-oak and gum trees. You can smell the pine needles crunching underfoot and hear the kookaburras calling in the morning. Sit back and watch the sunlight hit the fence posts at the Riley Creek Ranch. From start to finish, this novel is full of beautiful imagery.

I found the dialog to be enjoyable and charming. The regional accents and local phrases bring the story to life. The author has done an overall exceptional job. My favorite part about Ironbark Hill is Natalie’s character and her unbelievable strength. Each character has their own set of challenges in this harsh rural life. Natalie faces those challenges and moves forward with confidence. She makes swift decisions when it comes to matters of the heart and protecting the ones she loves.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. I had a little bit of trouble getting interested in the first couple chapters, but that quickly passed. This story is an unforgettable gem. I would strongly recommend this novel to anyone looking for a descriptive, well-written story about a family’s struggle to survive.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lee_Reads's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”