Official Review: A Sibling in Always

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: A Sibling in Always

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder why the author did not classify this story under the C/T/M/H genre. And what his inspiration was to make an embalmer his protagonist? I am intrigued by this book's many unique features. It's been a while since I've had goosebumps, and the ice bucket challenge may be a welcome adventure (besides, it's terribly warm where we are now).

Thanks for an engaging review of this unusual novel that will hopefully not sound Greek to me.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow! This sounds like a fascinating and very different book. I do wish authors would bite the bullet and get an editor. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka »

That sounds like one hell of a read right there. Story sounds quite unique, and that's a rarity these days.
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

I don't know if it's due to the fact that my son in law was recently murdered and at his funeral they hadn't done a very good job at concealing what had happened to him so it was extremely hard to see especially for my Grand daughter. My daughter had opted out of telling her that he had been murdered due to her being only 5 years old. Immediately after seeing her daddy she was demanding to know who had hurt him and wasn't appeased by the lack of details she was being provided. We definitely would have appreciated someone who could have covered his bruises better or at least the stab wound to his neck.

Your betrayal of the story line was very intriguing. Thank you.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

This sounds like a fascinating book. Your reviewing skills are exceptional. This is a book I think I would enjoy, even though it goes against every grain in my body about the subject matter. The fact that you compare it to a Greek tragedy is what compels me. Thanks for the nice review!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

SABRADLEY wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:28 Thank you for a very fine review. This sounds like something I would enjoy: unconventional and page-turning. The ancient Greek stylism is also an intriguing angle. I hope the author will invest in some quality editing to really do this book justice.
Thanks for your comment! Yes, it was a real page-turner. It's been interesting to see how many people find the ancient Greek style appealing.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alice Heritage
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings

Post by Alice Heritage »

Libs_Books wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:49 This sounds quite extraordinary. However, I think I'm going to go with your warning that this might not be for me. I'm not ready for something this grim, though I'm sure it is also uplifting in its own way.
Yes, it's interesting because it's not gratuitous. However, if you really stop and think what it's about ... it is quite grim! Thanks for your comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

DestineyGuy wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 19:33 I love where you are going with this story! Its something completely different that i've read. And your details are outstanding, but what would really top it off is more horror :)
I know what you mean. It is quite horrifying, but not gratuitous somehow. So it's more literary fiction than horror.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 22:44 This sounds like a really nice novel. I like Horace's ability to reconstruct the faces of the bodies and give them an identity. I'm more interested in knowing about the "troubled relationship" between Horace and his uncle. Although this non Christian setting is not something I would want to read about, I enjoyed reading your review.
That's right, the family relationships are an important theme. Thanks for reading and responding!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

stacie k wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 00:26 This book sounds unique on so many levels. The tragically flawed editing and focus on violent death discourage me from reading it. I’m glad you enjoyed it, though!
It was very different. I am quite squeamish and the subject matter is horrifying when you think about it, but it was all so well done. The errors weren't horrible but they did pop up frequently throughout. Thanks for commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

bookowlie wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 08:35 I'm not sure the subject matter is my cup of tea, but you certainly made the story and characters seem interesting. I liked your comment that "every plot development added layers of meaning to the title." It's always (no pun intended!) a nice bonus when a book, or title, is thought-provoking.
Yes, when I first saw the title I thought it was a bit odd, but it was a superb choice. Thanks for your comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Miriam Molina wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 02:17 I wonder why the author did not classify this story under the C/T/M/H genre. And what his inspiration was to make an embalmer his protagonist? I am intrigued by this book's many unique features. It's been a while since I've had goosebumps, and the ice bucket challenge may be a welcome adventure (besides, it's terribly warm where we are now).

Thanks for an engaging review of this unusual novel that will hopefully not sound Greek to me.
I know what you mean - I thought that while I was reading it. Yet there is more to the fiction than the horror. It's pretty warm here too and I read that climax on an evening when the temperature was way up. So I really noticed how freezing I was feeling. I am still in awe that the book made me feel that way.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Helen_Combe wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 15:52 Wow! This sounds like a fascinating and very different book. I do wish authors would bite the bullet and get an editor. Great review.
Yes, it's different! The errors were of the subtle kind like 'we' instead of 'he'. Sometimes it seems the writers do get editors, but they don't go through carefully enough for whatever reason. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

rusalka wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:14 That sounds like one hell of a read right there. Story sounds quite unique, and that's a rarity these days.
Yes, it's very different, and cleverly done. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

butterflyinaweb wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 16:29 I don't know if it's due to the fact that my son in law was recently murdered and at his funeral they hadn't done a very good job at concealing what had happened to him so it was extremely hard to see especially for my Grand daughter. My daughter had opted out of telling her that he had been murdered due to her being only 5 years old. Immediately after seeing her daddy she was demanding to know who had hurt him and wasn't appeased by the lack of details she was being provided. We definitely would have appreciated someone who could have covered his bruises better or at least the stab wound to his neck.

Your betrayal of the story line was very intriguing. Thank you.
What a horrible experience! I am sorry for your loss. There were one or two situations where Horace couldn't do anything, but I'm sorry you didn't have someone with his skill.
Mod

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”