Official Review: Here, there and back

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Here, there and back

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Here, there and back" by Simon. A. Gallimore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every now and then you come across a book that is hard to define within the bounds of the traditional literary genres. Therefore, instead of attempting to categorize this with books, I’ll delve into other popular culture. Simon A. Gallimore’s novel, Here, there and back, immediately makes me think of a ridiculous British television sitcom, mixed with the movie “Eurotrip”, and sprinkled with the covert agency goodness that is “Spies Like Us”. The humor throughout the book is at the same time slapstick, cheeky, and representative of a gang of guy friends. Despite the light-hearted nature of the book, it is actually chalked full of intrigue and action. Our protagonists are perpetually on the run, getting themselves into trouble, and dodging danger. Finally, in order to add a cherry to the proverbial sundae, the book involves clashes between no less than three different nations’ clandestine agencies.

Here, there and back follows four British friends that, to break up the monotony of their daily grind, decide to take a relaxing trip to Amsterdam. As you can likely imagine, their trip to Amsterdam ends up being anything but relaxing. Just like screaming at the ignorant character in a horror movie to not go into the abandoned building, you find yourself slapping your forehead when one of our protagonists innocently accepts to bring a seemingly insignificant item across the border to Amsterdam for a stranger. A classic tale of being “at the wrong place at the wrong time”, their trip is derailed as multiple nations and gun-toting clandestine agents try to recover this smuggled item. Deception, romance, action, drinking, football hooligans, practical jokes, and more can all be found between the pages of Gallimore’s work.

I love a good, light-hearted book and the humor within this tome was by far what I liked the most. I enjoyed how, despite the ridiculous and unrealistic situations in which the group found themselves, their interactions amongst each other were frank and real. Gallimore captures well the relationships between good friends and how, regardless of everything going on around them, there is always time to pull a prank on your pals. I also loved how this book was able to mix the comedic aspects of the novel with plenty of action. Despite being in increasingly dangerous situations, Gallimore is able to put our gang into a myriad of uncomfortable and entertaining circumstances. Finally, Here, there and back had a plot that kept twisting and turning throughout. Gallimore has the reader trying to figure out who all of the players are, who they are actually working for, and who is going to deceive who next.

There were, however, a few things that I have to count against the novel. Before all else, the writing style of the author may not be for everyone. Although a master of the language, Gallimore has a habit of writing verbose, flowery language which accentuates this mastery. Though pertinent to the humor of the book at times, some readers may find this annoying. Similarly, Gallimore tends to be a bit over descriptive. Long-winded paragraphs which add little to the book itself are sprinkled throughout the work. Next, the author attempts to use appropriate slang throughout his tale. This means using terms that an American, British, Dutch, or French person would actually use. Unfortunately, as this was what I liked the least, sometimes this falls short. For example, the Americans in the book always derogatorily refer to the British characters as “limey bastards”, which is rarely heard between the two nationalities nowadays. As well, Gallimore used the phrase “address the elephant in the room” in such a way that it was assumed that an American wouldn’t understand it, whereas in reality this phrase is used quite often.

Here, there and back was a fun, quick, and action-packed novel that kept me both laughing and on my toes. For this reason, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I almost gave it only 2 stars as the book really wasn’t a masterpiece by any means. I ultimately concluded that the publication did, in fact, merit the third star as it kept me amused and engaged throughout. For the language used and the errors in slang alone, the book deserved losing at least one star. If you are a fan of British comedies and like your books both ridiculous and action-packed, I thoroughly believe you will enjoy this novel. If you are not a fan of comedies, get frustrated with the consistent use of British slang, or absolutely need to have your literature contain a deep and meaningful plot, this one unquestionably won’t be for you.

Here, there and back
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Slapstick comedy requires a particular mood to be enjoyable. Although a light-hearted read is refreshing at times, I also like a bit more depth to my reading. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This probably caters to a certain audience. That audience is definitely not me. I've never been into that British humor akin to Mr. Bean. I'm sure some would really enjoy this, but I will be avoiding it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't know if I could keep up with the slang that I am not accustomed to. I absolutely love British comedy, but at times, even watching it requires a bit of translation to get the full impact of the comedy. It's too bad that the grammatical errors weren't addressed. It sounds like this one was so entertaining, and I love your description of slapping yourself in the forehead while reading it. Been there, done that. Good job on this descriptive and enjoyable review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I have to say that this sounds like a fair bit of fun. As I'm a Brit, the slang wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not that bothered about action-packed stories. One for a rainy day (of which we have plenty) perhaps - but I appreciated your review.
Bright-Kersh
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bright-Kersh »

This is amazing. It really touches the heart
There great life lessons to be learn in books
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love a lot of humor. This book is written to cause the most depressed person to feel light-hearted again. Laughter and fun is good therapy. Great review.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

This is definitely my kind of book. I love books that blur the lines between the traditional and beyond.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”