Official Review: Dreamwalking by Stephen Lee Stith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Dreamwalking by Stephen Lee Stith

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreamwalking" by Stephen Lee Stith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born to, and idolized by, Elizabeth Warren, James Warren, Jr. (J.W.) began life with an abundance of intellectual and athletic talent. Star athlete in his high school, J.W. planned to use a sports scholarship to earn a degree in engineering. Bored by the university level coursework, J.W. quit school to become a construction team supervisor. Due to J.W.'s stellar work ethic and keen management skills, not only did his team gain the reputation of "best team," but he and his crew became best friends. Until the day at the Cliff when the unthinkable happened, everything J.W. touched turned to gold.

Dreamwalking, by Stephen Lee Stith, is the story of one man endowed with all of heaven's natural gifts who experienced a sudden loss in all that he held dear. In one fell swoop, J.W. lost his physical abilities, his friends, his family, his girlfriend, his car, and his home. What would you do, if in your mid-twenties, you ended up in a dead-end nursing home? Thankfully for J.W., his new roommate became an unlikely mentor. Under the tutelage of Mr. Brown, J.W. discovered a renewed reason for living, stretched the intellect he had previously taken for granted, and even fought against corruption.

While reading Dreamwalking, I was reminded that often "truth is stranger than fiction." It is hard to make up a story like this. The author makes a note in the preface that this is a true accounting of James Walker, Jr.'s life. The telling of this incredible tale is well-done. In the opening, you meet several young men who seemingly have an unbreakable bond. When "the event" happens, you are taken through the emotions of all involved. Their reactions were not at all what I expected. Personally, I went through many emotions from amusement to anger, to hope, to more anger, and finally relief.

Thankfully, the characters, as real people, were drawn well. As would be consistent with life, some characters underwent a dramatic transformation while others showed their true colors. The author did a fine job of portraying this. I would caution a younger audience from reading, as there are sexual innuendos and difficult life situations. The language is not always clean, although I felt it accurately represented the characters and how they would talk. While overall, I felt the writing was right on target, there was one writing technique that rather bugged me. I realize it can be acceptable to include some fragment sentences; however, I felt there were too many. Additionally, I am not convinced that the book was professionally edited. There are missing commas in some complex sentences. I also feel that too many sentences start with words such as "Then..." or "But...." While this is technically acceptable, I felt that these are overused. I can forgive this in dialogue, but it should not spill into the overall narrative.

Overall, I would rate this 3 out of 4 stars. The writing style was fairly easy to read, the characters are believable, and there is an overall positive message. However, the abundance of fragment sentences as well as the doubtful editing prompt me to give this fewer than 4 stars.

Dreamwalking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The fact that this book is based on a true story makes it all the more impactful. I’m particularly interested in the mentoring relationship and the growth to renewed purpose in life. It sounds like an emotional and inspiring story! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I normally wouldn't read, or even comment, on this kind of book, but your review was excellent and gave a great case for the book. I still doubt I'll read it due to the emotions I'd be sure to experience, most of them negative, but I will still keep it in the back of my mind in case I change my mind one day. Again, thanks for the introduction.
greenstripedgiraffe

MsTri wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 00:16 I normally wouldn't read, or even comment, on this kind of book, but your review was excellent and gave a great case for the book. I still doubt I'll read it due to the emotions I'd be sure to experience, most of them negative, but I will still keep it in the back of my mind in case I change my mind one day. Again, thanks for the introduction.
Thank you so much for your very kind comments! :oops:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds really interesting. I'm a bit confused, though. Is this a fictional account of a mostly true story? The author says the story is true, but it's under other fiction. I might have to look into this. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 07:32 This sounds really interesting. I'm a bit confused, though. Is this a fictional account of a mostly true story? The author says the story is true, but it's under other fiction. I might have to look into this. Thanks!
Good question - I don't know why it's under "other fiction" I think it is a biography, based on what the author says.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I appreciate your good review. It made me have more interest in reading the book. I was first attracted by the title before I decide to read the review. This being a true story, it is a perfect book for me.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I appreciate that some books need to blur the boundaries between truth and fiction, but I'm still confused about this one. It certainly sounds like a remarkable story. Maybe it's the portrayal of the other characters that stops it being a straightforward biography. I think you've done a great job with the review.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow this sounds like a very interesting book. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 13:05 I appreciate that some books need to blur the boundaries between truth and fiction, but I'm still confused about this one. It certainly sounds like a remarkable story. Maybe it's the portrayal of the other characters that stops it being a straightforward biography. I think you've done a great job with the review.
According to the author's preface, all of it is true! I don't know why it's categorized as "other fiction." Maybe the author could weigh in on that :lol:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like a real tearjerker! It also sounds like a story that can really help people see the "light" in life's darkest moments.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What a powerful book based on a true life story! We all have our struggles, but according to your review, it sounds like the main character of the book had an extreme amount of obstacles to deal with. It’s too bad about the punctuation and grammatical errors because I think this story could touch many lives very deeply. Your descriptive range of emotions while reading indicate that this book was well done.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”