Official Review: Rats on the train by Gregory Bolling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Official Review: Rats on the train by Gregory Bolling

Post by lbhatters »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rats on the train" by Gregory Bolling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rats on the Train, a screenplay horror novel by Gregory Bolling, is a story about the massive invasion of killer rats, voracious and bent on destruction. The story will give you chilling goosebumps as you listen to the author's tale. Hold on to your chair and don't forget to breathe...

Rats have begun to multiply in downtown New York City, and it is up to the Rodentologists to come up with a formula to destroy them before they get out of hand. The city lab technician comes up with a formula expected to kill the rats and sticks the rat with the poison. The rat shakes and blows up in size. Instead of killing the rat, the rat becomes ravenous and his eyes glow bright red. Meanwhile, another Rodentologist is flagging down a taxi, but his vial of rat mixture falls out of his pocket. Into the city drain and down the tunnel into the train station the formula spills, where the rats are drinking. Now, the genetically altered beasts are out for blood.

Mr. Green, the Rodentologist who had lost the vial, sees the news on television and vows to get out there to help. The Police, the Fire Department, the Secret Service, and even the National Guard can't stop those deadly rats before they eat up half of New York's residents. But will it be too late for Mr. Green and his assistant to come up with a new formula to kill the rats before they kill the rest of humanity?

Mr. Bolling’s book is part of a screenplay sequel. Rats on the Train is non-stop action from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed the intensity, suspense, and excitement the author depicts in his story. Bolling describes scenes so specific that it allows the reader to visualize each scene very succinctly. I could envision perfectly the busy train station and the city sidewalks as if I were standing right there at the scene.

The descriptions of gore and the chewing up of corpses are very messy, and there are some graphic sex scenes. Those with a weak stomach might not make it through this tale, and for children, the topic is very mature and horrific. Such graphic details could frighten children considerably, even if intended as a screenplay. The author describes the rats as biting and tearing off the skin of the residents, who are fainting, going into convulsions, and being decapitated. Some people are getting trampled on and the smell of human flesh is all over New York City.

This novel is a published work and written in non-standard urban colloquial English. To some, including myself, it is difficult to get over my own grammar biases, such as noun-verb agreement issues and run-on sentences, which I have been taught to watch out for in my formal education classes. The author was able to get it published anyway, however. The purpose of this writing was to tell a story, and the reader benefits from not being bogged down with these grammar concerns. With this in mind, I am unable to give this 4 stars due to the grammar. Nevertheless, I give this story 3 out of 4 stars, due to its excellent graphics and hair-raising storyline.

Rats on the train
View: on Bookshelves

Like lbhatters's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I wasn’t sure by the title what this meant exactly. I was thinking...like people who tell on others? Like that kind of rat? But, nope, it’s your typical rat that has taken on monster like qualities! And, that’s it for me folks! Your descriptive review was more than enough to give me a good idea of what the book is all about! Count me in as one who just won’t even turn the first page. It sounds like the author is good at producing the right effects for a scary book. Thank you for your review so I can bypass this one!
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Yes, that's another 'No' from me, I'm afraid - it does sound pretty horrific, but thanks for making that abundantly clear!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This one sounds really scary. I hate gory stories. Thank you for your honest review.
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

cpru68 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 14:49 I wasn’t sure by the title what this meant exactly. I was thinking...like people who tell on others? Like that kind of rat? But, nope, it’s your typical rat that has taken on monster like qualities! And, that’s it for me folks! Your descriptive review was more than enough to give me a good idea of what the book is all about! Count me in as one who just won’t even turn the first page. It sounds like the author is good at producing the right effects for a scary book. Thank you for your review so I can bypass this one!
I think reading it would be less scary than actually watching some movie of it. It was not so bad, as long as you take it that the author was having a ton of fun with the suspense and horror... My point -- He did a good job as a writer with that!

:saberduel2: :violence-axechase:
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Snakes on a plane, rats on the train...it takes a certain mind to make a legitimate horror out of something that could easily come across as cheesy if not done carefully. Thank you for the honest information, so that those who should steer clear of this book, will do so.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

“The smell of human flesh” and other gory images are not what I want to dwell my mind on! Thanks for your detailed review! I’ll pass on this one for myself, though.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this book definitely sounds unique. I think it would definitely be a bit too graphic for my taste between the sex scenes and the gore you talk about. Still, I do appreciate your review. Glad you were able to enjoy this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

stacie k wrote: 01 May 2018, 00:32 “The smell of human flesh” and other gory images are not what I want to dwell my mind on! Thanks for your detailed review! I’ll pass on this one for myself, though.
Understood. :wine: I'm not going to persuade anyone.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”