Official Review: Morning Is Always Nigh by John Wickersham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Official Review: Morning Is Always Nigh by John Wickersham

Post by rs1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Morning Is Always Nigh" by John Wickersham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Morning Is Always Nigh: A Colorado Boyhood by John Wickersham. This is a fictional story narrating the happenings in the life of an young adult called Danny Gray in the Colorado region.

Set in the background of the mighty Colorado Rockies of the 1950s, the story portrays the region's astounding beauty. The readers would enjoy the several adventures narrated in the story – exploring the dangerous abandoned mining areas, buying and flying an airplane, emergency landing and fueling of the airplane, the treks and the picnics in the mountains, encountering the ghost train and the mountain lion, helping a pregnant woman using the jeep during a heavy blizzard, etc.

Apart from being a great collection of adventures, the book also serves as an educational source on several aspects. I should mention the spectacular and bright pictures of the trout varieties, the flora and the fauna, the trout flies and the insects, the hermit thrush bird, and the wildflowers. There is information about the various trout populations, fly-fishing tips and techniques, basics of flying an airplane, and photography techniques. The Colorado map and the accompanying area history are helpful while reading the story. I really enjoyed the references to some great authors and their stories in the way of discussion among the family members. The epilogue is quite piquant with a few poems.

One would applaud the author’s writing style because of its rich vocabulary. The book makes us feel as though we live in the midst of Danny’s family and encounter their adventures along with them. I would give special credits to the expressions of the thoughts and the feelings, especially the instance while leaving Danny’s fish pet in the Beaver Creek. The formatting is almost perfect except for the empty pages without any explanation. The quality of narration is pretty good. There are no grammatical or mechanical errors.

Overall, this book would be a pleasurable read for all audiences. The adventures and the experiences of Danny Gray’s family in the Colorado region have been beautifully narrated. Valuable information about the Colorado region is also imparted. Several societal values are exemplified, which would serve as a great guide for the young adults. I really loved the narration and the writing style. The book has been professionally edited. Owing to the quality of the content and the author’s strong command over the language, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Morning Is Always Nigh
View: on Bookshelves

Like rs1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’ve only heard about fly-fishing in two other books. This seems like an entertaining way to learn about Colorado and its nature. Mountain lions and blizzards definitely give it adventure qualities! Overall, it sounds like an enjoyable read! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nicely written review. I will be checking this out on your recommendation. Reading fiction to me is a way of traveling to places that I ordinarily would not be able to go to. Colorado, here I come! Well done!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I feel excited by all the spectacular adventure and educational sources of information that you have outlined in your review.
lulbaby23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lulbaby23 »

Awesome review I would love to check it out
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very outdoors focused book. Sad to say, I just not that much into the outdoors. Still, that region is beautiful, and I'd love the descriptions. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Awesome. The book being full of adventures is my type. I would love to read it to find out more Danny and his family. The description of places sounds wonderful too. Thanks and big ups for writing the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A coming of age story revolving around the life of an young adult sounds nice. That the author adds pictures and general info about the region sure adds to the tale. Rich vocabulary is another bonus. I am not sure it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a rich read! Adventures culminating in joy, education and wealth of vocabulary; what else could you ask for more in a book? Thanks for the lovely review.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

A sweet coming of age story with adventure, humor and living life. Danny Grey and his older siblings have a wonderful summer among the Rockey Mountains in Colorado. Sounds like a good story to me grabbed my copy. Congrats on being BOTD and thanks for making it #free.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
chapter-one
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chapter-one.html
Latest Review: Band in the Wind by William John Rostron

Post by chapter-one »

This thoughtful and evocative account of a Colorado boy's adventures is one to savour for sure.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Nice review! It paints a beautiful picture of the Colorado life the author has narrated. Thanks! I will be giving this a read.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical fiction novel on the adventures of a unique protagonist. The adventures have an educational quality to them that makes them all the more enjoyable. The book is free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-detailed onlinebookclub review. Congrats on being the BOTD.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I read a sample of the book & so far I love it. I enjoy reading the story of Danny & his family. The book takes place in the 1950’s in Colorado. I like how the author used philosophical quotes/poetry through out the books & how easy it is to read. It’s not the type of book I’m used to but I love reading about a good adventure.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

The sounds like an interesting set of stories about a 12 year-old boy's life in Colorado during the 1950's. I enjoyed the story about the trout. I like the Author's writing style and the carefully selected poems between the stories. Thanks for the nicely written review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”