Official Review: Lucius McCray by Gary McPherson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Lucius McCray by Gary McPherson

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucius McCray" by Gary McPherson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucius McCray by Gary McPherson is a collection of five humorous short stories which give glimpses into his life on his homestead in North Carolina. The first story tells of the adventures of his crazy cat, Pumpkin, who spent most of his life avenging himself for having been given a stupid name. This is followed by Lucius having a vasectomy performed by a mildly sadistic doctor, and where he finds that the reactions of men and women to the situation are poles apart. Then there’s a hilarious look at international toilet facilities; his attempts to protect his chickens from coyotes, and finally his day of running moonshine across state borders.

I enjoyed the tales, but I think I would classify them as a collection of anecdotes rather than stories. “Bathroom Adventures” in particular is not one self-contained story but a collection of experiences in the bathrooms of Japan, India and Arkansas.

My delight in toilet humour made his bathroom escapades my favourite story. His misadventures while using the facilities on a moving train in India had me laughing out loud. I also enjoyed his bidet-spraying and bathroom flooding in Japan.

The story I liked least was “A Tale of Wobbly”. Being a bit of a pushover when it comes to animals, I didn’t appreciate him allowing his dog to terrorise the hens. In addition, his first dog was killed by coyotes because he was left to guard the hen enclosure which had a hole in the fence. The coyotes strike again later on, and that’s when I found out that there was still a hole in the fence. I understand that farmers need to protect their livestock but I would have thought that fixing the fence so the coyotes couldn’t get in would be more economical than killing them after they’ve raided the coop. I also found it odd that in “The Ballad Pumpkin”, he said, “I have a hard time harmin’ anything”, yet in “A Tale Of Wobbly”, he says of his .30-06 semi-automatic hunting rifle that “she” is “loved as well as I love my dog”.

The stories are told in the first person and in the vernacular, so I was unsure sometimes if I was looking at grammatical errors or local dialect. However, there were a number of typos like “hall” instead of “haul”, plus errors in punctuation. So I think that the book would benefit from the services of an editor. However, the style is relaxed, humorous, accessible and enjoyable to read.

This is a book that will appeal to anyone who likes gentle humour gleaned from everyday life. However, because of the typos, I can only give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Lucius McCray
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Good review. The stories seem amusing to read. The author's anecdotes seem to be related in a humorous manner.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I’m also a sucker for animals and get antsy reading anything that might have a slight bad treatment towards them... even if it’s not blatant 😊 Great review, as always!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

qsusan wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 03:59 Good review. The stories seem amusing to read. The author's anecdotes seem to be related in a humorous manner.
Thank you, yes they are humorous.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 04:07 I’m also a sucker for animals and get antsy reading anything that might have a slight bad treatment towards them... even if it’s not blatant 😊 Great review, as always!
Thank you so much! 😊
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Poor hens. The story of the cat sounds funny. I like that it is a humorous book. Thank you!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 23:21 Poor hens. The story of the cat sounds funny. I like that it is a humorous book. Thank you!
You’re welcome

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”