Official Review: Silent Agony by Teresa Tuten

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: Silent Agony by Teresa Tuten

Post by EricaWilson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent Agony" by Teresa Tuten.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jenna Johnson’s first marriage is plagued by abuse and neglect, sending her spiraling down a path of self-doubt. After the divorce, she is determined to prevent other women from feeling as powerless as she had. She becomes a domestic violence caseworker, but her past can sometimes cause her to become too emotionally involved with her clients. It is impossible for her to save every woman that crosses her path, and as her losses seem to outweigh her triumphs, she delves deeper into her own silent agony. However, there is one woman she knows that she can save, but it won’t be easy for Jenna, especially when she finds that her work makes her a target of an anonymous man out for revenge. Will Jenna be able to save her client and herself from the heat of unruly rage?

Meanwhile, Roger Hawthorn becomes trapped in his own web of lies, and he’ll do anything to keep it from unraveling. One woman named Anne Marie has the ability to expose his secrets, so he uses his power as the DA to keep her confined in a mental institution, but she remains determined to expose him.

Teresa Tuten’s Silent Agony is a story full of complex plotlines. I love how all of the pieces fall together at the end to create a satisfying resolution to the suspenseful mystery. The fast-paced action will never leave the reader bored as new revelations are made in every chapter.

The words “silent agony” are repeatedly italicized throughout the novel, emphasizing that you can never tell how a person is truly feeling from their appearance. As she settles into her career, Jenna begins to date again. She goes out with one of her work colleagues;however, he is not exactly who he seems. Tuten mentions his tainted past, and he shows strong anger that hints at an abusive nature. Jenna even feels uneasy around him, but goes on a few dates with him anyway. Despite being a caseworker, she doesn’t realize the extent of his anger. I feel that this points out that the signs of an abusive relationship aren’t always obvious. As the story goes on, many other characters are also revealed to have once been involved in an abusive relationship, showing that it is more common than one might think. While navigating the treacherous waters of dating, Jenna has no idea that the perfect man has been in front of her all along.

I found many commas either missing or added where they shouldn't have been throughout the book. However, these mistakes weren’t enough to detract from my rating. I would give Silent Agony 4 out of 4 stars, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a suspenseful mystery that features a protagonist struggling to overcome her fears of the past in order to look forward to a bright future.

Silent Agony
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EricaWilson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tingletangle12345
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tingletangle12345 »

Yes loved this book. Teresa you are truly a talented writer. Keep up the great work. Look forward to more stories from you.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like that this character rose up from her painful past and took action to empower others in similar situations even though it was difficult for her. I'm glad to hear there will be a satisfying resolution to the mystery at the end. It sounds like an enjoyable read! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Well, from your review, it sounds like this book is based on reality versus fiction. I think the author has taken something that many women experience in abusive relationships and then are left to wonder if they can trust again. And, when the slightest hint of abuse may be showing up again, that should strike some fear in the one who has been through it before. Your review was very insightful, and you gave away no spoilers to what sounds like a suspenseful book. I think I need to add this to my massively growing to read shelf. Thank you for this review!
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

If you believe in your heart that you can do it, then you will. Thanks for this great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

You make the book sound like a must-read. Cutting out commas seems to be a bit of a fashion, but there are times when the lack of them makes sentences more difficult to read.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nicely written candid review! Sounds like the kind of book I will enjoy. Indeed, people go through a lot of silent agonies. I can definitely relate to this. Well done!
Shawa12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shawa12 »

Very detailed review, giving the future reader a sense of need to read the book and fill in all the details not given in the review.
This is the type of book I normally read and I definitely can relate to the review description. The review is detailed and gives the book author a very good rating.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”