Review by grahase71 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Review by grahase71 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by grahase71 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell seemed to be a man anyone would love to hate, and yet most envied. A highly intelligent and skilled surgeon and an avid mountain climber, Hiram easily climbed to the very top of the medical field as well as some of the wonderous peaks of the Himalayas. But how many bodies did he step on to get there? There were rumors, but who could---or would---say that those rumors were true? Hiram was self-centered, egotistical, and full of himself. Yet there were many who would rather ride his coattails to the top rather than be responsible for his fall.

If Hiram cared for anyone or anything, it would have to be his love of mountain climbing and his children-----in that order. Some speculated that he used foundation money to fund his many trips to climb the great peaks of the Himalayas in Nepal and support his lavish lifestyle; foundation money that was earmarked for the new hospital and medical care for the natives of the Nepal area. For all his wealth and fame, tragedy was his constant companion. Fate had it in for Hiram, toppling his ivory tower and bringing him crashing down. It also, however, put him on a long journey to find the man that he truly was.

Have you ever sat in church staring at the preacher, knowing that he is preaching directly at you? He----and God----knows all your dirty little secrets and he is more than willing to bare your soul for all the congregation to see. Well, maybe you haven’t, but I have. As I read McDowell I kept marveling that the author knew me, was reading my mind. I was amazed at how deftly he interwove the various and realistic characters all through the book; characters that had the same feelings and thoughts that I have so often had. Mr. Coles is a master at breathing life into his characters; so much so that you can easily identify with their emotions and personalities.

This book drew me in so well that after reading for a few hours I went to bed but couldn’t sleep; my mind a kaleidoscope of spinning thoughts and questions. I wanted to get back to reading rather than sleep. McDowell has something for every adult/young adult who just loves to read; encompasses a wealth of emotions-----I shivered on snow frozen peaks of the Himalayas and felt the pain and agony of the poverty-stricken villagers as they foraged for anything edible in the muck and slime of the local dumping ground. Although a work of fiction, this book has a very real storyline. But if you are more in to sci-fi, in-depth action and adventure, this may not be your cup of tea.

McDowell is an amazing book that anyone who has ever questioned the meaning of life, questioned their own beliefs in Christianity and God, or wondered why some people do the things they do, will enjoy as much as I did. I rate the book a 3 out of 4 stars and only because it does have a few missed errors in the editing. This however in no way detracts from the skill of the author and a very well written novel:

Pg. 48------3rd paragraph: “This is you (your?) grandchild.”
Pg. 58-------2nd paragraph: Sophie moaned inwardly and gave Ann (June, maybe?) a hostile stare…..
Pg. 113------2nd paragraph: “…….expedition if (of?) the eighties?”
Pg. 250------Next to last paragraph: “We’re (Were?) you scared?”
Pg. 303------Mid page: “……about why were (we’re?) here and……”
Pg. 320------Next to last sentence: …..and salmon were at one end (of?) the room.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like grahase71's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”